Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #1

Apollo 250 Idle and Full Throttle issue

Hi guys, I'm new to the Forum and am glad to have found it. I just purchased an Apollo 250 Dirt Bike. It went together pretty easy, and to my surprise didn't require too much Loctite and effort to get running. The issue I'm having is that the bike seems to only want to run with the Choke in the Middle position. It wont idle with the Choke Full On or Off even after warm. It also runs Choppy under Load and wont accept Full Throttle, Half Throttle is fair but rough. I'm sure its something stupid I'm overlooking as the engine seems strong otherwise. Any Tuning advise you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. Also, I should mention that the Bike came with a NGK Plug in it, I don't know if it's real or not, but that's what it says on it. I bought a New one from Pep Boys just in case. I also changed the Oil to Mobile 1 - 10W - 40 Synthetic. Thanks guys.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #2

Oh and Guys, just want to mention that I did read the Forum before posting. I'm aware of the Mikuni Carb Option, but Also read that there is a way to improve the existing Carb as well. I believe it said something about drilling out Brass Plugs and such. So before I blow the cash on the Mikuni, I just want to make sure it isn't something simple that I'm not doing. Also, Speaking of Mikuni Carbs... Which ones are good? I see 30mm ones on Ebay ranging from $40 to $185. Are some knockoffs?

Old 04-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #3

You can definitely still them out

The mikuni should be a vm26 30mm size. Either way, start with a 115 main jet and 30 pilot with the pilot screw at 1.5 turns out.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

The $30 to $40 ones are just fine although they are considered "Mikuni Clones" (clones have "Japan-T/A" on it). Just give it a nice cleaning inside and out before you use it to your motorcycle, the cheap $30 one I bought had some crud inside the fuel bowl that would have clogged the Jets or (worse case scenario) could have ruined my engine somehow

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post

The mikuni should be a vm26 30mm size. Either way, start with a 115 main jet and 30 pilot with the pilot screw at 1.5 turns out.
Seems to be a lot of different variations out there. Do you know if a Mikuni ca09 is compatible. I found a really good price on one locally - $30, or should I go for the vm26? Are the Jets they come with different or something?

Old 04-23-2016, 10:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post

Awesome, I'll definitely note those initial settings and clean it out real good before installing it.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:56 AM   #7

Anyone know what the screw at the very bottom of the Fuel Bowl on the Right side where the fuel hose enters does? Its one of only two that are exposed. I can't find any info on it online or in schematics.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #8

Everyone would need a little more info to help you, what carb,name of brand, and model are you looking at?

Any pics would also help out

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Everyone would need a little more info to help you, what carb,name of brand, and model are you looking at?

Any pics would also help out
Sorry, I tried uploading pics, but I think they need to be posted somewhere other than FB to be linked into my posts. It's an Apollo 250 Dirt Bike - AG36, and the Carb is the standard Cheapo PZ model.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #10

Is the nibbi carburetor a direct fit to an apollo 250 and if so what model?