Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #1

Engine bolt broken Vader 125

If you own a Vader 125 make sure you check your engine bolt. Took a ride today cut short because of rain. Went out and started it up for another ride and heard rattling. Looked and saw the engine bolt vibrated almost all the way out. Best bet would be to just change it out before this happens. I believe it's 4" or 4 1/2", I'm not really sure cause I couldn't get it back in all the way and it measures 4" as is. 10mm wrenches will do the trick for the bolt if your going to replace it. You'll also have to take the foot pegs off (12mm, 14mm and 17mm) sockets for the pegs. You'll also have to lower the chain in order to replace it. I haven't done it yet but I've taken everything apart already so I can put it back together when I get a new bolt. I'll probably get both a 4" and 4 1/2" bolt just to be safe. Hope this helps!

Old 05-21-2017, 11:12 PM   #2

seems like a pretty common issue. I think i'll go ahead and nip this one and replace it. Thanks for the heads up!
2002 Yamaha R6 *sold*
Vader 125cc *sold after owning for many years*
1997 Jeep Wrangler *sold due to frame rot*

Old 05-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #3

Seems like the engine bolts and the swing arm bolt should be replaced right out of the box. Once extracted someone should get some measurements.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhildoScaggins View Post
Seems like the engine bolts and the swing arm bolt should be replaced right out of the box. Once extracted someone should get some measurements.
I measured the engine bolt when I took it out, 4''. Bought a 5/16'' 4-1/2'' inch steel replacement today. It should do the trick. I bought a lock nut and 4 steel washers as well. Not sure about the swing arm bolt. I suppose when I replace the engine bolt I could try the swing arm but I don't have a garage or bike lift. I've also had a problem with my chain coming loose. I've tightened it 2 times already and I don't ride it that much. I'm not sure what to do about it.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:11 PM   #5

Went with a 4-1/2'' bolt and it worked out nicely. Vibration seems to be much better with the new bolt! I only used 3 washers cause I couldn't get it to work with all 4. Didn't get to the swing arm bolt, sorry..

Old 05-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #6

why did you take the pegs off for this? i did the bolts on mine and there was no need to remove the pegs you could of cut the 5" bolt also to make fit a little better and still use the washers like you did.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildew View Post
why did you take the pegs off for this? i did the bolts on mine and there was no need to remove the pegs you could of cut the 5" bolt also to make fit a little better and still use the washers like you did.
It was a pain to get to with the pegs on. I have limited tools and no lift or stand. I only removed them from the one side. Why would I buy a new bolt and cut it when I could buy one the right size? Sorry for being a noob.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #8

I also didn't remove the chain, just loosened it..

Old 05-22-2017, 03:27 PM   #9

Skin Mechanic also has a good write up on his engine bolt replacement. It should be the same for Vaders as I'm pretty sure they're all the same when it comes down to it. I will go ahead and order some replacement bolts too since this seems to be too common.

Not sure about the swing arm, but will look into it.

It is surprising that your chain is loosening up frequently. The main nut on your rear wheel should prevent that from happening right? Between that and the chain adjustment nuts, I don't know what else can contribute to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrack View Post
I measured the engine bolt when I took it out, 4''. Bought a 5/16'' 4-1/2'' inch steel replacement today. It should do the trick. I bought a lock nut and 4 steel washers as well. Not sure about the swing arm bolt. I suppose when I replace the engine bolt I could try the swing arm but I don't have a garage or bike lift. I've also had a problem with my chain coming loose. I've tightened it 2 times already and I don't ride it that much. I'm not sure what to do about it.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #10

Quote:
It was a pain to get to with the pegs on. I have limited tools and no lift or stand. I only removed them from the one side. Why would I buy a new bolt and cut it when I could buy one the right size? Sorry for being a noob.
sorry i thought you bought a 5" bolt my bad didn't mean to offend you i was just curious why you removed it was all. well long as its done that is all that matters!

Old 05-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismways View Post
Skin Mechanic also has a good write up on his engine bolt replacement. It should be the same for Vaders as I'm pretty sure they're all the same when it comes down to it. I will go ahead and order some replacement bolts too since this seems to be too common.

Not sure about the swing arm, but will look into it.

It is surprising that your chain is loosening up frequently. The main nut on your rear wheel should prevent that from happening right? Between that and the chain adjustment nuts, I don't know what else can contribute to that.
I wonder if the vibration was causing the nuts to loosen up. Not sure..I know I need a new bolt for the front sprocket, it won't completely tighten. Going to fix that later today. Might be the cause of the chain loosening up.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildew View Post
sorry i thought you bought a 5" bolt my bad didn't mean to offend you i was just curious why you removed it was all. well long as its done that is all that matters!
No worries at all man, I am truly a noob. Only reason I did that way is because a youtuber (miamiscooterclub) did a video. I just tried doing what he did.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #13

Took one of the bolts from my original sprocket and installed it onto the new one, the new one was stripped and the sprocket felt real loose. Hoping that fixed the chain issue.

Another problem I've had with vibrations on the Vader. The break light. Since I've installed the fender eliminator kit it's just been floating and vibrating like crazy.

I'm looking for suggestions as to how I could fix that..
Thanks in advance!!

Old 05-23-2017, 02:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Took one of the bolts from my original sprocket and installed it onto the new one, the new one was stripped and the sprocket felt real loose. Hoping that fixed the chain issue.

Another problem I've had with vibrations on the Vader. The break light. Since I've installed the fender eliminator kit it's just been floating and vibrating like crazy.

I'm looking for suggestions as to how I could fix that..
Thanks in advance!!
so i fixed quite a bit vibration from my brake light after i installed the grom integrated tail light and made a custom bracket and it has really made the back in more solid i attached the 3 pics of what mine looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vader tail light.jpg (90.0 KB, 904 views)
File Type: jpg vader tail light2.jpg (88.4 KB, 904 views)
File Type: jpg vader tail light final.jpg (66.7 KB, 902 views)

Old 05-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #15

That looks nice! I've been thinking about getting an integrated break light, not sure which one I want yet. I'll start shopping around, doesn't look like too much work. Thanks for the idea!