Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

Vader front sprocket

I just wanted to post for you vader owners out there my issue with the front sprocket i have encountered.

I bought a 16t sprocket online of course for a 428 chain when i installed it it had a little more play in the sprocket then i would like and heard a clicking noise when rolling it in neutral like it was trying to come off the sprocket. It wasn't but sounded like it was trying to so i decided this weekend to pull off the guard and look at the sprocket and i had found the sprocket was complete eaten up like i took grinder to it so i pulled off the sprocket and put the stock back on and ordered another sprocket though this time am going to had space on the back side of the sprocket so there isn't this much play in the sprocket just thought i would warn some of that have replaced sprocket and had extra play in the front sprocket. I have attached a picture for your guys BTW this is only with about 200 miles on this sprocket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170603_205138.jpg (90.6 KB, 241 views)

Old 06-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #2

wow, that is crazy! thanks for pointing this out. Do you think this is just poor manufacturing? poor material?

Where did you get this sprocket from? the one I got was from Amazon and it supposedly is a JT sprocket, but I am thinking it's a knockoff.

I will inspect mine this week. unfortunately, you have to take the chain off and remove the sprocket to get a full view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildew View Post
I just wanted to post for you vader owners out there my issue with the front sprocket i have encountered.

I bought a 16t sprocket online of course for a 428 chain when i installed it it had a little more play in the sprocket then i would like and heard a clicking noise when rolling it in neutral like it was trying to come off the sprocket. It wasn't but sounded like it was trying to so i decided this weekend to pull off the guard and look at the sprocket and i had found the sprocket was complete eaten up like i took grinder to it so i pulled off the sprocket and put the stock back on and ordered another sprocket though this time am going to had space on the back side of the sprocket so there isn't this much play in the sprocket just thought i would warn some of that have replaced sprocket and had extra play in the front sprocket. I have attached a picture for your guys BTW this is only with about 200 miles on this sprocket.

Old 06-06-2017, 12:36 PM   #3

its for sure poor metal i bought mine off ebay. this will be the next one i order
https://www.steadygarage.com/store/p...lloy-428-chain
my chain is also toast i don't have a good enough picture to post of this but i order a new chain to go along with this.

But it would probably be a good idea to check this and i don't think you will have to take your chain off to just look at the sprocket.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #4

id also like to add if your chain isnt running true and is off centerd this can also eat your sprockets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildew View Post
its for sure poor metal i bought mine off ebay. this will be the next one i order
https://www.steadygarage.com/store/p...lloy-428-chain
my chain is also toast i don't have a good enough picture to post of this but i order a new chain to go along with this.

But it would probably be a good idea to check this and i don't think you will have to take your chain off to just look at the sprocket.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #5

yep, what vee said.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #6

My sprocket has a bit of side play, wobble if you will, but I have no marks on mine whatsoever since install. I was really anal with rear tire alignment at install tho.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:23 AM   #7

Ditto the alignment comments. Fish hooking is a sign that the rear wheel is way outta line. I've put over 500 miles on my cheap $6.95 ebay sprocket and it still looks new. Go to amazon and buy a chain alignment tool, ASAP!
2000 Moto Guzzi California V11, resting in pieces

The cage: 1998 BMW Z3, 1.9L w/full Dinan engine upgrades

Old 06-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #8

from eye balling the chain when i put the sprocket on it look pretty darn close to true i have had many bikes over the years and never had sprocket eaten like this i had more then 1/4 inch play in the front sprocket i am pretty positive it was from the sprocket i bought was not machined right from the factory cause when i put back on the stock sprocket i didn't have any where near the play in the sprocket. But i will double check to see how far my chain is from true.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #9

Is the pitch stamped on the sprocket, maybe the seller sent you a 420 by mistake.
2000 Moto Guzzi California V11, resting in pieces

The cage: 1998 BMW Z3, 1.9L w/full Dinan engine upgrades