Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #1

Alibaba Electric Motorcycle

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the website and I wanted to start off by thanking you all for your help.

I am new to motorcycles, but have a good deal of knowledge with circuit design. I'm very interested in getting the below motorcycle as kind of an entry/hobby vehicle to tinker with. I have worked out the details of getting this to the United States, and having it covered for a refund if it is not what the company claims it to be. Worst case, I may lose the cost of shipping.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...875392889.html

I am a resident in Indiana where a court order is required for a replacement title. The questions I have are:

1. Has anyone successfully imported from Alibaba a gas or electric vehicle, and what advice do you have.

2. According to the company, there is no VIN, I emailed once again for confirmation hoping that they simply did not understand the acronym.

3. Without a proper MSO and VIN can I even get this thing registered and street legal.

Any and all advice is welcome. If anyone has seen or ridden one of these before I am very interested in hearing from you!

Thank you again

Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #2

Good news is you're not in California or Illinois so those hurdles of institutional stupidity are off the board. I would think that it being electric you wouldn't have the usual DOT and EPA issues..... However... Without the MSO and VIN you are probably in uncertain territory. If anything has not been stamped approved, categorized and easily referenced state agencies are too often absolutely clueless as to how to proceed. Personally I hope you get the thing through all the red tape and enjoy riding it.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #3

I do know that both the EPA/DOT and California's CARB have list of approved electric motorcycles. Obviously would not be difficult for electric motorcycles to get approval, but I am guessing that one needs a bike to be on the list to get a title and registration. I would think, however, since it is NOT a vehicle with an internal combustion engine, that it could be imported in a so-called 'gray' way since the idea of the EPA is for emissions, which electric bikes do not have.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-06-2019, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I do know that both the EPA/DOT and California's CARB have list of approved electric motorcycles. Obviously would not be difficult for electric motorcycles to get approval, but I am guessing that one needs a bike to be on the list to get a title and registration. I would think, however, since it is NOT a vehicle with an internal combustion engine, that it could be imported in a so-called 'gray' way since the idea of the EPA is for emissions, which electric bikes do not have.
To me that is another example of government stupidity, intrusion and over regulation. Epa/dot and carb approved.... On an electric bike. Do any of those wonderful agencies have any involvement or oversight in the weedeater powered bicycles flooding the streets? What are the registration fees out your way for electric vehicles? Here in the people's republic of Chicago they've raised them this year to a flat rate of 248 bucks with the goal of reaching 1000 yearly registration fees within 10 years...additionally the morons are looking at mileage fees for every registered vehicle in addition to doubling the per gallon tax to .39 cents .. I'm sorry but in Illinois it will rather quickly become unaffordable to go 100% electric in your transportation. Which is a shame because I believe there is/was a market for in-town folks to use them...plus I think they are kinda cool..at least the one CSC is selling is.

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #5

Motor Vehicle laws are sometimes ridiculous and strongly geared as a money maker hidden behind environmental and safety regulations.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
Motor Vehicle laws are sometimes ridiculous and strongly geared as a money maker hidden behind environmental and safety regulations.
And the choir said in unison...... A-men

― Thomas Jefferson

Tags
alibaba, electric, indiana, registration