Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #1

Head Scratching Can anybody ID my bike???

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130510_173849.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	116

Name:	IMG_20130510_173912.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	117

Hey Guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading and researching on here, and even with all the great help I've already received on my little project, I still don't know what to call her. This bike was given to me because it needs repair(not running - yet) and the previous owner knows I'm not one to back down from a challenge, and have a high degree of mechanical aptitude. The bike was given to him by it's former owner and he just didn't want to mess with it, didn't want to see it slowly rust to death, and figured if anyone was going to revive it, it'd be me.

I am fully committed to getting the bike running again and will not rest until I am riding her on a regular basis. Every journey starts somewhere, and mine must start with a name.

As you can see from my horrible pictures, there are no decals, names, numbers, or badging of any kind on the bike save for the "UM" decal on the seat, and some of the plastic is missing. I know that UM stands for United Motors, which was the importer. I know that it was manufactured by Zongshen, and thanks to a few helpful people here, I now know that it has a 200cc ZS169FML engine. I know it was manufactured on 1-18-2004 per the VIN plate, but that's about all I know at this point.

What I am specifically looking for, is a model name, as in, what would a dealer have advertised it as? Can anybody tell me, or help me find out what the bike would have been called on the showroom floor when it was new?

According to all the excellent info here on the forums, I understand that many 200cc dual sport china bikes are basically the same underneath with various little differences, and that several of them use the same parts, but I just don't feel right about not knowing the model. Call me crazy or whatever, but I don't want to tell friends that I have an '04 Zongshen, I want to be able to tell them that I have an '04 Zongshen XXXX200XXXX, or an '04 UM XXXX, etc...

To me, it's all about the soul of the machine, and that soul begins with a name. Even though they're all the same, they're all different and unique if you know what I mean. I don't simply say that I drive a Chevy truck, I say that I drive a Z71 Silverado, I feel that not knowing the name is doing the bike a disservice, and I'm also just insanely curious

If anyone can help me figure out an accurate name/model I will be forever in your debt. If you need more or better quality pics or different angles or whatever, just ask. I apologize for the quality of the pics above, I took them hastily under less than ideal lighting conditions, but they're the only pics I currently have of the whole bike. I can take more tomorrow afternoon and post if necessary.

Thanks for looking

Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 AM   #2

If it helps, the bike has a 21" front wheel, and 18" rear, which I'm told is kinda rare, and here is a pic of the carb

Name:	IMG_20130515_124822.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	118

and engine

Name:	IMG_20130510_174028.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	119

Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #3

Your best hope is to decipher the VIN. If you search these forums you will find several threads telling how to decode VINs. What is your VIN? Perhaps HumanBeing will be able to decipher it for you.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #4

LZSJCML0945750339

I have run the VIN through a couple decoder web utilities and it either comes back as unrecognized, missing/invalid check digit, or no data. I did a search on here but didn't find and how-to's. Maybe I missed something, I will go back and check again. Thanks Spud

Old 05-21-2013, 01:30 AM   #5

http://www.nhtsa.gov/apps/manufacturer/lookup.htm may have the right info
There's also chinese database (First 8 letters of ViN) that records registrable vehicle if searches Google.
-
The chinese version = http://www.chinaspcar.com/ProductDet...%E8%BD%A6.html = the "
Sierra"
-
The UM 200 in Latin America http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=8962

Last edited by humanbeing; 05-21-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

A very big THANK YOU to Humanbeing!!! After comparing images, the DS200 looks decidedly more like my bike than any others I've seen so far, I feel fairly confident in labeling the bike as a UM DS200. Anybody else agree/disagree? Now that I know what she is, hopefully finding parts for her will be a little easier.

I already had an image in mind of what I want the bike to look like/be, now that I've also seen the DSF200, THAT is what I want it to be Black wheels, black forks, rear disc brake, more suspension travel, sleeker front end ect, ect...

I'm a big fan of black on black, the first visual mod I want to make, is to source a black front fender and paint the rear black. I might just primer the rear and put some Rhino Liner on it for durability's sake.

other misc. parts I know I need are

speedo cable (possibly replace speedo - no idea if it works)
fork boots
fuel filler cap
headlight or bulbs
new turn signals
ignition switch
battery box
grips
new cdi and spare
spark plug and spare
air filter
carburetor - mine is missing the choke return spring and there's no telling how gummed up it is on the inside. I think I'll just buy a 30mm Mikuni and rebuild/re-jet the old one and keep for a spare.

Thanks for all the help, I look forward updating you all on my progress

Old 05-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #7

found this today
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...de=13968&st=NC

Old 05-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #8

I think that I remember the UM DS200 as a model name.