Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2022, 11:32 AM   #1

Smile "CG125" Clone

Hi all,

Joined and decided to post chronicling my journey with a "CG125" clone, variants of which are popular here on my island. Picked the bike up a few weeks back and have started on some small mods but am yet to get around to modding/tuning the engine.

Chassis is a clone of the venerable cg125, powered by what appears to be a clone of the cb150. The engine code, while not particularly helpful, identifies it as a 162fmj.

Having read through posts by jerryhawk250, megadan etc. I have decided to take the plunge and purchase a wen rotary tool, a "stage 1" cam for the crf150f - not sure if this will fit - and will be taking the plunge to disassemble and modify this little engine once I have all the tools. I will be updating here when I get started and hopefully will be able to gather a bit of information to help fill in my lack of knowledge regarding these platforms.

One thing I am uncertain about, however, what are the differences - if any - between the clone crf230-based engines and the CB clones? I have been searching for a "big bore" kit to hop up the displacement but am unable to tell the differences between parts being advertised for the crf230f and the cb250. Any pointers provided regarding this would be much appreciated. I have ordered a vernier caliper so will be able to remove the valve cover and take measurements once that gets in but would like a little more information until I get to that stage.

Last edited by jamrock876; 07-11-2022 at 04:42 PM.

Old 07-09-2022, 11:11 PM   #2

Mods have begun

Been raining a bit lately, my apologies for the dirty bike.

Within a week of owning the bike I decided to customize it a bit, no point in having something that is the same as everyone else.

My main gripe with the bike was the front brake, the stock lever had too much travel and then required too much force to actually feel like I was slowing. In an attempt to remedy this I got a set of levers from another popular (locally) brand of clones, taking the opportunity to upgrade to a hydraulic clutch in the process.

The stock muffler was also changed for an inexpensive aftermarket part as the stock muffler was a bit restrictive and too quiet for my liking.

With those mods the bike was a bit lean, I have since changed the main jet to a 105, leaving the stock 35 primary. Raising the needle height to the first slot helped a bit with the transient response however I need to get a bigger pilot. Sadly none of the kits I can find online have the correct primary types, the carb that I have currently - a dekni pz37 (possibly a clone) - uses taller primaries.

I think this is where the bike will stay until I get the stuff I have on order from the US to really get started on the engine mods.

Last edited by jamrock876; 07-11-2022 at 04:46 PM. Reason: attempted to format the picture

Old 07-11-2022, 01:22 PM   #3

Your photos did not show up, at least on my work computer. I will check on my home computer when I get home.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 07-11-2022, 04:28 PM   #4

Pictures don't work for me either. Even links to pictures on a hosting site would be an improvement.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Your photos did not show up, at least on my work computer. I will check on my home computer when I get home.
Thanks for the heads-up. Was trying to host the photos from my google photos app, seems I copied the wrong link for each.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Pictures don't work for me either. Even links to pictures on a hosting site would be an improvement.
Works for me in incognito now, please let me know if you are able to see them.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:17 PM   #7

I can see them ! .

Old 07-12-2022, 08:08 AM   #8

They work now.

I like the mods you've done. How does the hydro clutch actuation feel compared to the cable clutch actuation?

Also, do you have access to Nibbi carbs there, or do you have to order from the US? That would be a good upgrade if you can't get your hands on a genuine Mikuni at a decent price.

Old 07-12-2022, 08:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon45 View Post
They work now.

I like the mods you've done. How does the hydro clutch actuation feel compared to the cable clutch actuation?

Also, do you have access to Nibbi carbs there, or do you have to order from the US? That would be a good upgrade if you can't get your hands on a genuine Mikuni at a decent price.
Clutch action is a little stiffer but more predictable. The bike I was riding previously had this mod and I found going back to the cable clutch there was too much travel.

The only carbs readily available locally are the Dekni brand which comes stock on most of these bikes. I am looking into ordering a carb from the US but want to see what I can get playing with the jetting on this first.

My rotary tool kit should be available for pickup today, I will still be waiting on the vernier caliper before taking the plunge to disassemble the engine though. My next steps will be to port/polish the head and take measurements to possibly find a "big bore" kit that will take the bike closer to 250cc. Thankfully I am scheduled for a few days of PTO in August so will most likely wait until then to get to it.

Old 07-13-2022, 02:43 PM   #10

I'm not sure that's a CB based engine, it looks like a clone of something else Japanese, but I can't figure out what it is right now. If it's not, the parts won't work, unfortunately, and either way the cases might need to be bored to fit the 250 kit, as they use a different case spigot diameter. Could you get some pics of the right side of the engine, especially the cylinder head?

The exposed rocker arm shafts (and what appears to be a 1-piece cylinder head) are a dead giveaway it isn't Honda based, as the rocker arm pivot shafts come out on the camchain side of the cylinder head on the Honda clones. A picture of the clutch cover would help, too. Does it have a discrete oil filter?

Also, I'd keep the lever/clutch cable around, as it appears that the shaft for the clutch slave cylinder is a bit bent, it looks like a failure waiting to happen. I had a hydro clutch on a Honda NX125 that failed, but for different reasons. They don't seem to be as robust as I'd like.

Old 07-13-2022, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
I'm not sure that's a CB based engine, it looks like a clone of something else Japanese, but I can't figure out what it is right now. If it's not, the parts won't work, unfortunately, and either way the cases might need to be bored to fit the 250 kit, as they use a different case spigot diameter. Could you get some pics of the right side of the engine, especially the cylinder head?
These are a few I pictures I had taken over the weekend. I can have a better picture of the clutch cover uploaded this evening.

Left side cover:

Front:

Quote:
The exposed rocker arm shafts (and what appears to be a 1-piece cylinder head) are a dead giveaway it isn't Honda based, as the rocker arm pivot shafts come out on the camchain side of the cylinder head on the Honda clones. A picture of the clutch cover would help, too. Does it have a discrete oil filter?
The cylinder head is two pieces, the split can be seen in the picture taken from the left. The head has 9 10mm bolts in total, one of which seems to be a provision for a oil return? There are 4 on the outside and then an additional 4 closer to the center which holds the cam caps.

As far as I know it does not have a discrete filter, I will have to check. It does have the mesh-style filter behind a 22mm plug on the left engine cover.

Quote:
Also, I'd keep the lever/clutch cable around, as it appears that the shaft for the clutch slave cylinder is a bit bent, it looks like a failure waiting to happen. I had a hydro clutch on a Honda NX125 that failed, but for different reasons. They don't seem to be as robust as I'd like.
The clutch lever and cable are safely stored away, I know these are not that reliable but, in my experience, they tend to give ample warning before failing.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:21 AM   #12

That looks like a Daelim 150, I'm fairly certain the CB250 parts won't work.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #13

Quote:
That looks like a Daelim 150, I'm fairly certain the CB250 parts won't work.
I am not so sure, the head looks remarkably similar to the cb145 cylinder heads found on Ebay.

Clutch cover:

A quick google search for Daelim does not produce any images that look similar to my engine sadly. I guess I will just have to wait until I get my calipers and get a chance to lift the head to take some measurements.
Grasping at straws here. The chassis code begins with DFSPAK, I think that might suggest the bike is a rebranded Dongfang? Not sure to be honest.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:11 PM   #14

It's the same people that supply Lexmoto engines in the UK. It might not be a Daelim, but it's not CB-based. The cam cover/cylinder head are dead giveaways. Here's a link to what humanbeing (Chinese member on here) posted on another forum: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?8634

If you look at the threads I've started (not too many), one of them talks about an identical engine. It's a 156FMI if I remember correctly, but basically the same motor.

Old 07-15-2022, 12:54 PM   #15

Quote:
It's the same people that supply Lexmoto engines in the UK. It might not be a Daelim, but it's not CB-based. The cam cover/cylinder head are dead giveaways. Here's a link to what humanbeing (Chinese member on here) posted on another forum: http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/showthread.php?8634

If you look at the threads I've started (not too many), one of them talks about an identical engine. It's a 156FMI if I remember correctly, but basically the same motor.
I was hoping it was CB based. Will still be taking it apart at some point to port and polish the head so I guess I will just have to take proper measurements and pictures when I get around to it. If all else fails I think I can get a CB clone locally in 250/230 form, that might be a better move.