Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2021, 04:59 AM   #1

'Churbo' aka Chinese Turbo.

This is not Bike related but it sort of does have china riding vibes...Maybe someone might find this helpful...

So I drive a 97 Mitsubishi L400 Delica Van...Grey Import here in Oz.

With a 4M40T IDI 2.8l turbo Diesel engine. with a rare 5 speed manual transmission.

Done 218k when I got it.. Since then but another 25k. The engine was healthy and the price was right.

It's my primary drive so kinda important to get it back on the road before I think about the XL185 project.

It was my high school dream vehicle and since getting it have done much to try and keep it going for as long as possible.

But when you get a 20 year old van that's done some work things are going to start showing their age. I won't deny I've hit my fair share of gremlins.

however being a pre-millennial vehicle it's mostly mechanical and less computer programmed so DIY is still a viable option for me.

Any way sorry for the long winded back story but to get to the point the factory TF035 turbo started playing up and I was noticing a drop in oil level. Chasing a weird on boost squeal noise to the point I tracked all the way back to the turbo after replacing the manifold gaskets which were probably fine.

Oh well, Sh!t happens and over 200k on what I assume is the original turbo is fair game...

Now I had dreams of perhaps 1 day upgrading to a billet ball bearing core, but under the current circumstances I jumped on ebay and found a brand new factory replacement Chinese copy TD04/035 for $155AUD delivered...

A week later it showed up and I decided to make the effort to turn a $155 Chinese turbo into a something a bit better quality.

Just whipped out the dremel and carbide/sanding tips and ported the exhaust inlet, waste gate port and post turbine exit casting imperfections.

Then gave the each side an appropriate coat of paint.

I will say for the money I can't fault it. How long it will last is a different matter but under the circumstances I think its a winner.

Next thing is hoping the old turbo comes out kindly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg churbo1.jpg (42.6 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Churbo2.jpg (55.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Churbo3.jpg (42.7 KB, 191 views)

Old 03-12-2021, 05:03 AM   #2

Churbo photos

More reassembled Churbo photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Churbo4.jpg (61.1 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Churbo5.jpg (44.1 KB, 206 views)
File Type: jpg Churbo6.jpg (40.2 KB, 198 views)

Old 03-12-2021, 07:37 AM   #3

OOOOh! Aaaahhh! Pretty.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 03-13-2021, 03:36 AM   #4

Installed the Churbo.

Ok, So I just spent the entire day installing the TD04 Churbo.

Trying to undo dump pipe bolts from the back blind on tip toes is something I hope wont have to do again for some time.

Also made the will this exhaust stud snap face and Will this crusty nut round off wink.

maybe if I had an electric impact wrench might of sped up the process but then again I'm not so sure...I seemed to manage ok with applied leverage.

Much time was sunk...though I made extra effort to clean the threads and prep so it's easier next time round.

So yeah.. out with the old in with the new...fired up the van and "SCREECH" ....bugger.

Ok take the alternator belt off...Still Screeching.

next removed Air con belt and tension pulley...Still Screeching...

Noise to me sounds like a bad bearing...likely culprit the Water Pump...

Possibly the viscous fan but my hunch is the water pump is dying.

So will be taking off the fan which attaches to the water pump tomorrow.

What this means is my old turbo was fine But I'm sort of ok with the new replacement as the old 1 has done some serious work so maybe i just prevented a future malfunction. Having it as a back up spare is always handy too..

Comparing the old and new some minor differences, the turbine housings have the same matching cast/mold numbers.
I Didn't measure the compressors or turbines but the compressors look about same and the Churbo TD04 turbine appears larger which might be the TD04/TF035 difference.

So that to me suggests a little slower spool up but much more free flow under load.

Not the outcome i was hoping for but a good result non the less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbos2.jpg (75.8 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg turbos1.jpg (76.2 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by XLsior; 03-13-2021 at 04:40 AM.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:10 AM   #5

One thing I would do with those cheap turbo is replace the piston ring (seal) with the staggered (gapless) style for a better seal

Old 03-14-2021, 06:44 AM   #6

This was my first time messing with turbos, I've never rebuilt or serviced 1 before. The Chinese turbo was more of a get my van running again situation...though that's before I realized made an incorrect diagnosis.

Depending on how I like the driveability of the TD04 over the factory TF035 If i was to play with turbos again it will likely be new billet compressor and rebuild kit to refurbish my genuine Mitsubishi TF035 that's done over 235000km.

Last edited by XLsior; 03-14-2021 at 08:47 AM.