Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #1

Brozz 250 - 4 Degree Timing Key Install

So i went to install the 4 degree timing key i received from Joe Henner and learned a few things:
1. You need to remove the exhaust header to reach the 2 bolts on the exhaust side (7mm)
2. You need to remove the cap with the 3 8mm bolts which will then expose another 8mm bolt which ultimately allows the whole cover to come off. Be careful when you remove this cap as the gear assembly behind the cap has a washer which may fall off as in my case and i just replaced where it should go later.
3. A Harbor Freight 3/8" impact wrench and probably 1/2" for that matter are not powerful enough to spin the flywheel bolt off.. I was able to get around this by using a chisel wedged between the metal ridge on top of the flywheel and the frame and then could remove the flywheel bolt (lefty loosie).
When replacing the bolt later you can use a bolt wedged between the gear assembly to torque it down to 54 ft/lb
4. The following flywheel puller doesn't work on the Brozz and ill need to figure out which one does.. when i connected it and turned the bolt inwards it eventually just seats against the outside of the puller as it doesnt insert far enough. Also i noticed the larger section of the puller is threaded but there is no outside thread for this to go onto with the Brozz and is just smooth. Not sure if its the same case for the Hawk. I think if the inner bolt was longer it would have worked.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I5YP2WI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5. I wasnt sure on the torque spec for all of the 8mm case bolts and just tightened down by feel. If anyone knows the spec please let me know as i will have to do this again at some point.
6. I didnt locktite the flywheel bolt or any of the case bolts since i will need to do the work again. If anyone knows if these should or shouldnt be locktited, please let me know

I plan to find the correct flywheel puller and luckily am within the return period. All in all, was a good learning experience and the bike still fires right back up, so no harm no foul and will attack this on another day and then ultimately review the performance gain.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Last edited by tknj99; 01-10-2021 at 04:38 PM.