Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #1

Which one of the Three

So I have enough money to purchase a new motorcycle.
The three I am looking at are the
KPR 200
KPM200
Venom Ghost

I like the idea of liquid cooling, and 6 gears. I am more of a cruiser guy. I had a csc sg250 and liked it but it was a little low on top speed. I am worried that I will be in the same boat with the Ghost. Any information to help me decide would be beneficial

Old 04-06-2021, 05:54 PM   #2

I like both the KPM200 and the Ghost. Top speed will probably be about the same. I did have to change the rear sprocket on my ghost because it was too low geared from the factory but did make a big difference on top speed. With the gear ration I'm running now on a completely stock engine, I can cruise comfortably 60-65 mph. Over the weekend i did take it out on the interstate for a short distance and maintained 70 mph with no problem. I'm sure I could of ran it up to 75mph. Not sure the state trooper following me would of allowed that. lol The CB engine does turn more rpm's than the CG engine.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-06-2021, 06:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I like both the KPM200 and the Ghost. Top speed will probably be about the same. I did have to change the rear sprocket on my ghost because it was too low geared from the factory but did make a big difference on top speed. With the gear ration I'm running now on a completely stock engine, I can cruise comfortably 60-65 mph. Over the weekend i did take it out on the interstate for a short distance and maintained 70 mph with no problem. I'm sure I could of ran it up to 75mph. Not sure the state trooper following me would of allowed that. lol The CB engine does turn more rpm's than the CG engine.
How hard is it to change the sprocket? The last bike i had the sprocket was already changed for me

Old 04-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorCzo View Post
How hard is it to change the sprocket? The last bike i had the sprocket was already changed for me
Not hard at all.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-06-2021, 09:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Not hard at all.
Did You have to change the chain as well?

Old 04-06-2021, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
You probably want to change out the chain on the Ghost--most Chinese bikes, actually. I believe the Lifan bikes might have decent stock chains as those bikes are marketed as slightly 'higher-end' and more so considering their 'fancier' engines. Check out Jerryhawk's thread on his Ghost. Looks like a good bike and responds to modifications.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-07-2021, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
No, I still have the stock chain. I only have a little over 900 miles on the bike so far. The stock chain looks to be a good quality chain. It was well lubricated from the factory and so was everything else. The chain looks way better than what came on my Hawk and X22R and those lasted about 2500 miles.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #8

I have the KPM 200. Depending on your weight, you can hit a steady 65 mph like me (at 250 lbs), or from what some reports have said 70 mph. I can't confirm the higher speed reports though, because the speedo is off considerably, and they haven't verified with GPS.

At the moment, It'd say go with the ghost. Parts are more standard and easier to find for upgrades. I'm making a list of things, but the rear sprocket has been a pain. It's not flat like normal sprockets. I've found one that brings the rear down from 49 to 45, but haven't bought it to test it yet.

Also, thankfully, 428 chains are very cost effective. My stock chain is ready for it's 4th adjustment after about 200 miles on the last adjustment. I think i have almost over 2k on the clock right now, but because of the speedo being 5 mph faster than it should, I'm maybe really at 1700-1800 miles. I've actually kicked the chain before, It's pretty terrible. lol.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:01 PM   #9

I'll toss my two cents in since I was just having the same debate. If you plan to work on it yourself and mod the bike it seems like the ghost would be the way to go. The motor has a ton of available parts and you could probably find all the info you need just by surfing JerryHawk's threads. Just from reading his threads it looks like there are quite a few more to that motor that you could do to milk the top speed.
If you are going to buy it and run it as-is you would likely be happy with either. I went with the KPM since I liked the look better since I've never been a cruiser type person. The 6 speeds in the KPM are nice and the fit and finish is far beyond what most would expect from a sub-$3000 bike.
Either way I think you will have a blast and likely get great support from the folks on here.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
I'll toss my two cents in since I was just having the same debate. If you plan to work on it yourself and mod the bike it seems like the ghost would be the way to go. The motor has a ton of available parts and you could probably find all the info you need just by surfing JerryHawk's threads. Just from reading his threads it looks like there are quite a few more to that motor that you could do to milk the top speed.
If you are going to buy it and run it as-is you would likely be happy with either. I went with the KPM since I liked the look better since I've never been a cruiser type person. The 6 speeds in the KPM are nice and the fit and finish is far beyond what most would expect from a sub-$3000 bike.
Either way I think you will have a blast and likely get great support from the folks on here.
I don't really want to tinker, I did that with my sg250 and almost bricked it. I just want to get from point a to point b, c, D, e. Lol

Old 04-08-2021, 09:53 AM   #11

If you don't want to tinker, it would be better to get something used and Japanese that can be easily sold when needed, and serviced at a dealership. A CB300F or similar comes to mind. If even changing sprockets is more than you want to do, a Chinese bike isn't the best buy, as you'll at least need to adjust valves from time to time, and that is much more mechanically involved than changing a sprocket, and not many shops, even independent ones, will work on cheaper Chinese stuff like you've mentioned.

Old 04-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
If you don't want to tinker, it would be better to get something used and Japanese that can be easily sold when needed, and serviced at a dealership. A CB300F or similar comes to mind. If even changing sprockets is more than you want to do, a Chinese bike isn't the best buy, as you'll at least need to adjust valves from time to time, and that is much more mechanically involved than changing a sprocket, and not many shops, even independent ones, will work on cheaper Chinese stuff like you've mentioned.

Tinker is probably not the right word, I know there is a small amount of maintenance required (i.e. carb work, changing oil and such), I am just worried about major work. I can adjust valves, I have done that. I guess really it just depends on how much I get to ride vs down time because I screwed something up

Old 04-09-2021, 12:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Tinker is probably not the right word, I know there is a small amount of maintenance required (i.e. carb work, changing oil and such), I am just worried about major work. I can adjust valves, I have done that. I guess really it just depends on how much I get to ride vs down time because I screwed something up
I think the difference in language is tinker vs. maintenance. I don't blame you for not wanting to tinker. I've dug deep into some of my past bikes and sometimes it's nice to just ride it instead of mod it. These bikes don't require much more for maintenance than any other bike, the main thing is that you'll likely need to do it yourself instead of taking it to a shop. If you're ok with that, have at it! The maintenance required is somewhat occasional and shouldn't take you too long. Make sure you stay true to the suggested intervals and you should be good to go.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:38 AM   #14

I actually just ordered the KPR200. It really came down to the KPM and KPR. I like the idea of fuel injection and the 2 year warrenty

Old 04-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #15

lol. Well, if you had to choose between the KPR and KPM, I'd have said get the KPM. You did good either way.