Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2021, 10:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon45 View Post
It's a 49 tooth rear sprocket. I have found a 45 tooth sprocket. I haven't put it on order yet. I do have a new chain ready to go, though.
Did you ever throw the 45T on? Where did you get it from? Curious how it did with a 4 tooth drop. I'm interested in possibly changing mine out, but not sure what other rear sprockets are compatible. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 08-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #17

What's the coolant type for the KPM ? My owner's manual has a coolant section, but it doesn't mention what to put in it

Old 08-06-2021, 08:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
Did you ever throw the 45T on? Where did you get it from? Curious how it did with a 4 tooth drop. I'm interested in possibly changing mine out, but not sure what other rear sprockets are compatible. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I haven't ordered it yet. I need to find it again. Been busy with my yamaha and the kiddo's bikes lately, and put a lot of KPM stuff on the back burner, unfortunately. I'll try and find it, and get that and the front sprocket on order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoujinDango
What's the coolant type for the KPM ? My owner's manual has a coolant section, but it doesn't mention what to put in it
Mine came with a bottle of coolant. It looked to be similar to engine ice, but in a random bottle. I use engine ice in all my bikes. It works really well, and you don't have to mix it. But, it is not compatible with and not to be mixed with any glycol based coolant. So, if you do use it, make sure you flush your system well first.

It doesn't take much. I thought it would take more than it did, seeing as I had to fill two radiator, plus the engine, but it didn't even empty the whole quart bottle.

Old 08-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #19

Doh!

Quote:

Mine came with a bottle of coolant. It looked to be similar to engine ice, but in a random bottle. I use engine ice in all my bikes. It works really well, and you don't have to mix it. But, it is not compatible with and not to be mixed with any glycol based coolant. So, if you do use it, make sure you flush your system well first.

It doesn't take much. I thought it would take more than it did, seeing as I had to fill two radiator, plus the engine, but it didn't even empty the whole quart bottle.
You've got me scared now. My bike came with oil and gas in it. I made the assumption that coolant was in it as well and that the silver bottle was replacement oil that I just wasn't going to use because it was some dumb unlabeled stuff. Press F in the chat.. I've put 500 miles on it without it throwing a code, just put the silver bottle coolant in it now. Anything I should keep an eye out for since I probably damaged it in some way?

Old 08-16-2021, 08:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoujinDango View Post
You've got me scared now. My bike came with oil and gas in it. I made the assumption that coolant was in it as well and that the silver bottle was replacement oil that I just wasn't going to use because it was some dumb unlabeled stuff. Press F in the chat.. I've put 500 miles on it without it throwing a code, just put the silver bottle coolant in it now. Anything I should keep an eye out for since I probably damaged it in some way?

Lol. You're probably okay. If it's not smoking or boiling over, you didn't ruin anything. These are still air cooled derivative engines. They probably left some air cooled properties in it to protect it. Just make sure you properly burped the system to have all the air out.

Next time you change the oil, make sure it doesn't look like chocolate milk. If it does, you have a BHG (blown head gasket), and it need to come apart.

I'm looking for gasket kits that can fit, actually. I want to do some head work, and kinda looking for a cam.

Also, I'm looking for an aftermarket clutch, as I think mine is slipping. Heavy boy, plus being REALLY hard on the bike with clutchless shifts, hard full throttle acceleration almost all the time, and a few attempts at clutch dump wheelies takes it's toll. lol.

Honestly, this thing is far more durable than expected. Whoever gets it next will have a lot of upgrades. lol.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:56 PM   #21

Quote:
I haven't ordered it yet. I need to find it again. Been busy with my yamaha and the kiddo's bikes lately, and put a lot of KPM stuff on the back burner, unfortunately. I'll try and find it, and get that and the front sprocket on order.
I hear ya, most of my work lately has been to my Royal Enfield so my KPM is lonely as well. I'll be curious to hear what you find as far as front and rear sprockets and if you have any luck with a cam. I'm a tinkerer by nature so I love to mod bikes when I can. It's the only thing I don't like about the KPM. There just isn't the support other bikes have. I'd be fine to run it at stock, but half the reason I buy bikes is to play with them when I can't ride them!

Old 09-03-2021, 09:52 AM   #22

https://www.yoycart.com/Product/649820300216/

Here's the sprocket. I actually forgot that I ordered these. I tried to order through these guys, and apparently, it didn't get paid, so I was never charged. My security features on my card are super hardcore, so unusual purchases to other countries are flagged and blocked immediately. That's a very good thing, but makes it hard to buy stuff sometimes. lol

Old 09-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #23

Has anyone found a wiring diagram? Doing a walk around today I noticed my rear brake pedal doesn't trigger the light and also the high beam switch doesn't work. The momentary finger switch works, but not the wide beam thumb switch.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:09 PM   #24

No wiring diagrams as of yet, as far as I know. There might be a simple one line in the manual. That could be a start. I know my horn button no longer works. But, that's because it sat out in the weather for a month last winter

Last edited by Falkon45; 09-03-2021 at 04:06 PM.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #25

Turns out the headlamp works only when the bike is running, which is weird but fine for now. The rear brake light switch is still a problem and I don't see any obvious wires.

Old 09-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #26

Ok. From how you explained the high beam, you made it sound like it didn't work at all. Yeah, that's not unusual. The headlight on my Yamaha doesn't turn on at all until you press the start button.

The switch for the rear brake light skins be next to the rear master cylinder, or right below it. Should be easy to spot the wires for it.

Old 09-16-2021, 01:11 PM   #27

Just so folks know, pegs for a KLR650 appear to fit this bike quite well. You may loose the functionality of the return springs, but the pin size and mount spacing/angle all line up nicely.

Old 09-25-2021, 02:13 AM   #28

Tires for this bike are not a super common size in the US. I wanted something with some bite for dirt roads and found that a Continental TKC80 in 120/70 17 will fit with about an inch to clear the fender. On the back a Shinko E805 in 130/80 17 will fit, but it's tight if your chain hasn't stretched much. I ended up dropping to a 15t sprocket up front to help it clear and for the low gearing and that worked. If it were a street tire I believe that size would fit no problem.

Mirrors... Mine came with mirror mounts threaded on the levers on both sides of the bar which I assume is standard. The threaded mounts take a standard 10mm threaded mirror that is SUPER common on metric bikes. They can be had for cheap in many places but it may be nice to get some bar end weights to reduce vibration if you take the stock mirrors off. You can get mirrors and weights for around $30 total.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:52 AM   #29

Measured the rear shock tonight. Eye to eye was spot-on 12.5 inches unweighted but still on the bike.

Old 10-21-2021, 12:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradogoose View Post
Measured the rear shock tonight. Eye to eye was spot-on 12.5 inches unweighted but still on the bike.
Awesome!! Thank you! I'll start looking for shocks now