Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
To paraphrase Star Wars Admiral Akbar, "They're crap."

At the very least, the bike is running well, and you have more spare parts. Call it a win.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-30-2015, 12:28 AM   #527

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldangrind View Post
:d

at the very least, the bike is running well, and you have more spare parts. Call it a win.
x2.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #528

Delved into the issue with the spare set and found a bum emulsion tube for the slider. It was obvious that someone had been in them once before(permatex #2 on the bowl gaskets)and got a bit overzealous cleaning the tube. There is no seat left in it for the needle to sit on.

Like you guys said, I have bunch of spare parts now and they are really clean.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 05-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #529

My wife finally finished her Snapple.

I have a total of two bucks into it and that was for the two rubber stoppers. Everything else was hiding in the garage. I haven't hooked it up to the bike yet but I did connect it to my Mity-Vac and it does work like it should. I'm too pooped after playing with the grandson all morning. Also getting over the nasty cold he shared with Mrs. C and I.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 05-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Lifting the front wheel on a CX500 is an accomplishment! They're front heavy beasts.
I have a pair of 1/4 20 concrete ancores in the floor of my garage about 16" apart. To lift a front end, screw in eye hooks and put bike on center stand and use a pair of straps to pull the rear end down. This works with and bike or scooter with a center stand. Keep a couple short 1/4 20 screws in the floor when not using the "lift" john

Last edited by jct842; 05-24-2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: mistake!

Old 05-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct842 View Post
I have a pair of 1/4 20 concrete ancores in the floor of my garage about 16" apart. To lift a front end, screw in eye hooks and put bike on center stand and use a pair of straps to pull the rear end down. This works with and bike or scooter with a center stand. Keep a couple short 1/4 20 screws in the floor when not using the "lift" john
Excellent tip! I think I have some anchors laying around that will do nicely.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #532

Cheesy, what are you using for liquid?

Old 05-25-2015, 03:24 PM   #533

ATF.

Not gonna try it out today as I hoped. The 'Gift' cold has had me whorfing up lung butter since last night. Saying I felt like crap would be better than I feel right now.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 05-26-2015, 12:53 AM   #534

I hope you feel better soon.

Kids share colds well, don't they?

Old 05-26-2015, 08:33 AM   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I hope you feel better soon.

Kids share colds well, don't they?
Grandkids seem to instinctively know who to aim for.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 05-30-2015, 09:54 PM   #536

Well, that was fun.

Jumped on the CX yesterday morning to go to work. Pull the choke, turn the key, punch the starter button, aannnnndddd nothing. Punched it a second and a third time, still nothing. Fourth time was a charm.

Get to work with no issues. Park the bike and try to restart. Nothing. I decide to wait until lunch time to look at it. Lunch rolls around and I try to start it. Nothing. Not even a click.

I push the beast into the shop and break out the DVOM. Getting nothing at the solenoid. Take the right control apart to access the starter button and open that up. To say the guts of the switch were disgusting would be an understatement. Clean that up and polish the contacts. Reinstall and test. Woohoo, it works. Roll the bike back outside.

Quitting time. Suit up, hop on the bike, turn the switch and punch the starter button. NOTHING. Fiddle around for a few minutes and it starts. Get home and pull it into the garage.

After dinner, I start trouble shooting. Again, I break out a DVOM and again I have no juice at the solenoid. For grins, I took the starter button out again to double check that I didn't screw something up. Nope. Put the switch back in and check for voltage at the switch. 12.75V at the starter wire, nothing at the solenoid.

Ahh, so I either have a crudded up connection or a wire break. I call it a day because further digging will require removing the fuel tank (full) and dismantling the headlight.

At 5:30 this morning, I remove the tank and open up the headlight. I find the starter wire in an 8 pin plug. Pull that apart and take a looksee at the contacts. Ummm, a little corrosion but not enough to cause the problem. I check continuity from the starter button to one end of the plug. BEEEEEEP. I check from the other end of the plug to the solenoid and nothing, so it's a wire break. I decide to clean all the plugs while I'm in there.

Get that done and start chasing the wire break. At the first touch of the main harness I get BEEEEEP. I undo the electrical tape and the break was staring back at me. This was in the section of the harness that was damaged when I got the bike and I repaired. I hadn't repaired that wire at the time but it had been worked on in the past. Besides, I use heatshrink on splices, not tape.

By the time I cut out the corroded wire, I needed to add a three inch splice. All soldered and sealed as neat as can be. Put everything back together and I'm golden. Starter sounds happier, too.

BTW, I sprung for a new solenoid. Just in case.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 05-30-2015, 10:03 PM   #537

Nice work. Dang mysterious broken wires.

/

Old 05-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #538

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Fourth time was a charm.
That's not standard procedure.

Good call on buying a new solenoid; might as well know that it's handled as well.

Old 05-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #539

My GL occasionally had a similar problem on my Alaska trip. Tapping on the solenoid would make it start. Turns out the tiny electromagnet coil wire broke where it exited the coil to go through the plastic cap. Unfortunately there wasn't enough sticking out to solder it so I unwound the the spool, pulled the wire through a bit more, then rewound the spool using an electric drill. It's worked fine since. Am I cheap or what

Old 05-31-2015, 07:03 PM   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
My GL occasionally had a similar problem on my Alaska trip. Tapping on the solenoid would make it start. Turns out the tiny electromagnet coil wire broke where it exited the coil to go through the plastic cap. Unfortunately there wasn't enough sticking out to solder it so I unwound the the spool, pulled the wire through a bit more, then rewound the spool using an electric drill. It's worked fine since. Am I cheap or what
That. Is. Perfect.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800