Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #16

Have you been watching me Doc? I'm not called Mr. Safety for nothing.

Andrew, I had to get crestive with my installation, because the magnet is designed to be used with spokes, not the wheel of an ATV. The magnet on my particular setup was screwed onto an apparatus that would normally be clamped to the spokes, so I unscrewed it and measured the thread. I then drilled and tapped a hole in the rear sprocket and screwed the magnet in with some Loctite.

I placed the pickup on the swingarm and secured it with zip ties. I didn't use any kind of measurement, I just placed the pickup as close to the magnet as possible. The instructions indicated that I could either measure the circumference of the wheel or roll it forward for one full revolution. Since the tires have big lugs on them, I chose to roll it forward. The cycle computer will accept a huge range of wheel diameters, so mine was no problem.

I wish I would have purchased a backlit version.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #17

SPEEDO

So they have a Backlit version?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #18

Yeah, I think it is closer to $20, rather than the $13 I paid.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #19

Well mine is more than what I need. Althought I would like it to go more than just 60 mph, whenever I go faster the speedometer seems to think that I'm slowing down and starts to indicate in between 30 and 40 mph when I'm actually doing close to 70mph. And for the backlit option, it doesn't really bother me cus I kindda got used to know what speed I'm going by the sound of the engine and exhaust. But my version has a botton to activate the backlight, of curse it would only stay on for a couple seconds, but more than enought just to double check my speed I'll make some more research and see if I can find a computer that has a higher top speed and a backlight. But for now I'm good

Old 02-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #20

Here is what I used with my Trail Tech Vapor.

http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-Mag...778208&sr=1-24

Except i think mine was 6mm. I drilled and tapped a hole inside of the braking surface of the front brake rotor. I used locktite and a nut to make sure it stayed put.

Very once and a while, the speedo stops working. When it does, I stop and move the ty-wraped pick-up closer to the magnet.

You just have to get creative find what will work. Those little rare earth magnets can be epoxied to almost anything.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #21

I found one bycicle computer that aparantly is accurate until 170 mph. It's the SIGMA BC series.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #22

Just bought this One

Could't pass it up for $12 - If it works great if NOT oh well no big deal I'll mount it on my Daughters TriCycle! LMAO

Anyone tried This one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-LCD-Bicycle-C...17000054187735

Andrew

Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #23

Looks alot like this one

http://trailtech.net/endurance.html

Dont see how you could go wrong like you said. Keep us posted.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #24

speedo

yeah I will - When I searched ebay I found alot of these in Hong Kong then found this one in California, so I'll try it and report back. Yeah it does look alot like a trailtech don't it? LOL

Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #25

Well If anyone tryes it please let us know, That one is so better looking and if it's more accurate than mine I'll change it. Althought do they have the opcion of backlight that stays on ?
difficult decision between both of them, althought the fact that one of them is 6 bucks on ebay and the other one is 80 bucks would settle doubts :P

Old 02-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #26

speedo

I ordered one yesterday should be here in about 5 days I'll keep you all posted on what I get and options etc.....For $12 can't go wrong. I hope. Worste case Like I stated I'll mount it on my Daughters tricycle!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 PM   #27

I Just wanted to update this that I got the Little speedo computer but haven't had much time to play lately......Will update soon......Andrew