Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #1

replacement engine for a DongFang Bobber?

Anyone know of a good replacement engine for my 2010 Dong Fang DF bobber? My trans blew up, and put a hole in the case. I bought another 250cc Dong Fang motor off ebay. It was from a sport bike, not the bobber. It just doesn't feel the same if ya know what i mean. Different sound, feel , ride. It runs good,But I still would like to replace it with something better.I really want another DF motor.. the black one i had. I contacted Dong Fang directly, but no reply back at all.Been a few months. So, if you have any input.Please feel free to throw it out here. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #2

I don't know anything about the DongFang, is it the same Zongshen engine that is used in the CSC TT250? http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/TT250-...-p/zt1-100.htm

Old 03-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #3

According to the EPA certification list from 2016, the engines are mfg by Zongshen, so in theory, the CSC engine is from the same OEM, but that engine is expensive! I would possibly look for a Lifan 250 (whatever its exact size is, LOL) as well. Years ago, that happened with my Jetmoto enduro--the OEM of Jetmoto's engine was Zongshen, and my engine went dead (years before there was enough info here on chinariders to possibly diagnose). I ordered a brand new Lifan engine from ebay, and it worked.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtiewagon View Post
Anyone know of a good replacement engine for my 2010 Dong Fang DF bobber? My trans blew up, and put a hole in the case. I bought another 250cc Dong Fang motor off ebay. It was from a sport bike, not the bobber. It just doesn't feel the same if ya know what i mean. Different sound, feel , ride. It runs good,But I still would like to replace it with something better.I really want another DF motor.. the black one i had. I contacted Dong Fang directly, but no reply back at all.Been a few months. So, if you have any input.Please feel free to throw it out here. Thanks.
Still no love for the bobber.

Engine problems are why I decided against the DF Bobber. Barnone is the only one that has ever had good luck with the bobbers.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #5

Dongfang, at least now according to recent EPA certification, certify their whole full-size bike lineup on one engine--their enduros, their bobbers, a (rare) standard, and their sports bikes are all certified on one 223 cc Zongshen OEM engine (kind of smart if you ask me). I am not sure whose engine they used back in 2010, however. Barnone had updated his bobber to a more recent model (2012? 2014?), which is why he might have seemingly good luck with his? I tend to think of Lifan as having a slight edge in the quality department over Zongshen from what I can gather from my 'insider' sources, but Zongshen has seemed to step up their game if the TT250 is any indication. My guess is a manufacturer gets what he (is willing to) pay(s) for if you see where I am going with that! CCW uses Lifan as their OEM, and I haven't heard much of anything negative regarding their engines. Heck, they are brave enough to sell INTERNAL(!!!!) performance parts for the Lifan; something I would not be brave enough to try, but I am sure there are happy CCW owners who have tried these parts, out there!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #6

If I'm not mistaken, barnone's 2010 bobber had quite a few miles on it when he sold it. He has stated that his 2012 doesn't seem to run quite as good as the 2010. It's really crappy that they make a run of bikes and then ditch the engine and replacements or repair parts become damn near impossible to find. if Bowtiewagon was closer to me, I'd try to work a deal for his bobber and stuff one of my GS engines in it.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #7

Contact Dan @ http://www.martinmopeds.com/. If he can't help, he may point you in the right direction.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:51 AM   #8

I got rid of my 2010 DF because of the tank design. Forget how many miles I had on it but never any problem with the engine.
Only have 5k miles on my 2012 DF because my Ural is do handy to haul stuff. I ride the Ural every day and am fixing to ride it to the doctor for my annual checkup in a few minutes.
My DF on the Dragon Western North Carolina where I spend the summer. Might sell it and buy a new green DF.

Below is the Ural hauling feed for my cows.

Last edited by Barnone; 07-13-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:59 AM   #9

Go all out and stuff the biggest engine you can fit in there!

You'll be 100% happier...trust me!

olds_cool63
=======
Johnny Pag Pagsta (replaced 50cc engine with 110cc, modded-out)
2007 Tank Vision Topline Khaos (cosmetic mods, cherry-bombs)
2005 Kymco Vitality 50 2T (70cc big bore kit, other race mods...tops out at 67mph)
2008 Hyosung GT250 (cosmetic mods)
2001 Suzuki Bandit GFS1200S (cosmetic and slight mods...150mph+)

Old 04-15-2017, 03:14 AM   #10

http://www.yoycart.com/Product/40634641602/

Someone posted this in another thread. No idea if you can bring it into the country, but it is in a bike here already, so the odds are good.