Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports

Old 02-16-2017, 03:20 PM   #76

Chimbote to Huaraz

I left Chimbote for the Canyon del Pato. The road was paved all the way to Huaraz. The scenary was great and the pucker factor low. At the top of the canyon I stopped to take a picture of the dam. Before I got back on the bike a caravan of Moto touring people stopped for a photo op . One guy was riding an Africa twin and to my surprise I looked up and saw two couples riding two-up on two big Goldwings. I can't imagine riding on these roads and hitting one of these topes (and there are many of them) and nearly going airborne on a Goldwing?This group had a chase car with a motorcycle trailer, their own cameraman who jumped out and started taking pictures.
The tunnels (36) were fun even though I met big tractor (no trailer). We both stopped and I had to get in the ditch and move around the tractor. We were both going very slow and I guess it was no big deal for the tractor driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0455.jpg (100.2 KB, 480 views)

Old 02-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #77

Huaraz to Huallanca

On the way it was suggested that I go up on a mountain and look at a glacier.(Pastoruri). I turned in to go up the mountain and after about 20 km of dirt road I came to a gate and a park ranger. He informed me that the road down the opposite side of the mountain was blocked with a landslide. This would increase my distance and time considerably but I decided to go up the mountain and see if I could see the glacier. When I got to the top it's about 16,000 feet in elevation there was snow on the road and clouds covered up the glacier. As I returned down The mountain the sky cleared up and the sun came out. I passed several tour buses taking people up to look at the glacier. It would've been a lot easier to have booked a tour bus but Dumas was determined to ride the bike up there, all for not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0462.jpg (89.3 KB, 548 views)

Old 02-16-2017, 04:08 PM   #78

Tour group

Here's a pic of the Africa Twin chase car, complete with sandwich girls!
It must have been a marketing thing for the Africa Twin?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0459.jpg (95.2 KB, 462 views)

Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 PM   #79

chase car and pretty ladies dang thats the life!!!!!
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 02-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #80

Huallanca to Huanuco, Around the Block Tours

I traveled the "back route" from Huallanca to Huanuco and Toby and Sarah Shannon's B&B. It was 170km and mostly unpaved. Beautiful back country and it took me a while. Toby's shop is going to do a few maintenance checks on the bike, bless it and then I plan to head for Cusco and Machu Picchu.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0480.jpg (98.9 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0477.jpg (97.1 KB, 457 views)

Last edited by olegeezer; 02-18-2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Typo

Old 02-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #81

Cusco

I had another go with the "revenge". Haven't felt well for about a week.
I've moved south and east from Huanuco-Tarma-Huancayo-Ayachuco-Andahuaylas-Abancay to here in Cusco. I spent 4 nights at Around the Block Tours in Huanuco. Toby and Sarah Shannon took good care of me and serviced the bike. After I left their house I started feeling the stomach bug and it took me six days of riding (pretty good road surfaces) to make Cusco. Machu Picchu is next up.
Mud and rock slides are common in these Andes. I came around a curve and got a little surprised by this one. Road construction and maintence must be expensive. They do a good job I believe with the conditions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0527.jpg (95.7 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0528.jpg (95.5 KB, 449 views)

Old 02-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #82

Is that the "Christ the Redeemer" statue?? Only statue I know of with a similar profile ??

Thanks for the update, hope you get over that damn stomach bug soon

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #83

Abancay carnival parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Is that the "Christ the Redeemer" statue?? Only statue I know of with a similar profile ??

Thanks for the update, hope you get over that damn stomach bug soon
Gracias Azhule for the well wish and I think you are correct about the statue.
I'm going to try to post a short video. This was a long parade and I stood in front of my hotel watching for an hour. The crowd was really having a good time.
Couldn't get a 10 sec video to upload? Sorry bout that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0544.jpg (99.7 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0545.jpg (100.5 KB, 446 views)

Old 03-05-2017, 04:18 AM   #84

Cusco

After arriving in Cusco I set about trying to find storage for the motorcycle. With the help of Alejandro and Ada at Peru Moto Tours I was able to get a package of seven documents together for a permit application to store the bike for 1 year. It took 3 days of back and forth to get the package to the customs office. Not much fun doing this. After I submitted the package I got on a bus-train-bus combo to Macho Picchu and that was fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0020.jpg (93.9 KB, 416 views)

Old 03-05-2017, 04:24 AM   #85

Macho Picchu

There was a small number of llamas that would eat out of your hand if you had a snack for them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0610.jpg (98.5 KB, 432 views)

Old 03-05-2017, 04:55 AM   #86

Those llahams are a strange concoction, kinda like my spelling.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #87

No alpacas?

Old 03-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #88

Olegeezer,

Just read your report......i myself just returned from Ecuador where we rented bikes from Freedom and did a self guided tour..love the country...plan on returning for 3 months January 2018....I am 70 year old rider from Ontario Canada.....interested in the RX3....The current cost in US is 3800.00 on the 2016 model....may I ask what you paid in Colombia and if it was difficult as a foreigner to purchase said bike....I had an ordeal in Chile 2 years ago to get a card to be allowed to buy....
Thanks
Bob.....blogspot........hickeryonthemove

Old 03-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #89

Driving from WV to MS today to help my sister move.
You have other options. PM if you want to talk about them.
Briefly paid $3400 out the door with one year of insurance in 2016.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:02 PM   #90

Bike storage

I left the bike in Cuzco with Peru Moto Tours. Alexandro Castro and his partner Ada helped me file the paperwork with customs (Sunat) to extend my TVIP for 1 year. Just prior to going to Machu Picchu I submitted the request. It took me 3 days with the help of Peru Moto Tours to get the package (7 pages) together.
After the MP tour I flew home. I had a good trip but it was stressful due to the stomach problems, getting lost, too many rain days and the storage problem with the bike. After 7 weeks on the road alone I was ready to return home.
I will have to return in less than 12 months to move the bike out of Peru. If I do not collect and remove the bike I may have to pay a large? fine or possibly lose the bike. If I return and get out of Peru I will still face the same problem of storage next year. Looking back I would have been better off by buying a bike with a resale agreement or just renting. If you're doing longer stays renting would be less desirable than purchasing in my opinion.
So, assuming the Olegeezer is still among the living, I plan to return and continue further south in 2018 !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0681.jpg (98.6 KB, 380 views)