Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #1

2020 TBR7 1st ride AAR

A big shout out to TX Powersports for building and PDI on the bike. It came on wednesday afternoon and was very well packaged. I got my paperwork yesterday and got title, registration and plate this morning.

I changed the oil after the 10 mile ride to the DMV, clearing a bunch of metal chips out of the filter and filled it with yama-lube 10W40. I headed out towards Lake Pleasant on city streets, keeping it to about 45mph in 5th which is about all it wanted to do. After about 30 miles or so it felt like it would go a bit faster and I wound it to about 55and held it for about a mile to do a plug chop.

I pulled over and went to get the plug wrench out of the tool kit. Yeah, well the one supplied is the wrong size, so that didn't happen. Whilst doing this I noticed the oil breather had come out of the pipe at the back of the engine. I checked the oil level and it was good, so I figured I must have put too much in to begin with.
Since I was by a nice flat piece of desert, I thought I see how it was on the dirt. It felt pretty stable on ground about as firm as a ravel road would be.
It was a fun ride, the bike is very light and easy to flick around. Very different than my CBR500R which feels like a fully dressed 'Glide in comparison.

one negative, the mirrors are absolutely useless. too small and won't keep in position, probably due to the vibration.

Alex

ETA total distance was about 65miles over an hour and a half
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 09-20-2019, 05:36 PM   #2

Fellow tbr owner here. There is a tensioner screw on each mirror. Not saying it will solve ur problems, only seemed to work on the right side. Left side is better but still moves around at high speeds.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #3

Just hit 2000 miles on mine yesterday, great bike for the cost. With aftermarket exhaust, New jets in the carb, and a 39 tooth rear, plus some break-in milage, it now tops out right around 70. Mph.
Ride safe and enjoy.
There is a entire Hawk checklist at the top of the forums, almost all of it applies to the tbr. One thing not noted on the list though that caused me issues eventually was the fact that the bike came with both a resisted cap and resisted plug. Check to make sure that both don't have a "R" on them. If they do, just change the plug to its non resisted version. (Same numbers, minus the "R")

Old 09-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFailbutter View Post
Just hit 2000 miles on mine yesterday, great bike for the cost. With aftermarket exhaust, New jets in the carb, and a 39 tooth rear, plus some break-in milage, it now tops out right around 70. Mph.
Ride safe and enjoy.
There is a entire Hawk checklist at the top of the forums, almost all of it applies to the tbr. One thing not noted on the list though that caused me issues eventually was the fact that the bike came with both a resisted cap and resisted plug. Check to make sure that both don't have a "R" on them. If they do, just change the plug to its non resisted version. (Same numbers, minus the "R")
where'd you get the exhaust from and does it do away with that valve thing by the port and the cat?
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam

Front fork brace

Old 09-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #5

Yes it does, but sadly am computer caveman. So don't know how to link the exhaust.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #6

But onelegged, my cuz did start a thread on the whole subject of our install called "talk and tbr7 for the win today!" About the whole project, with pictures and such. Check it out. And I do believe that the link for said exhaust is in the hawk upgrades forum at the top of this forum.

Old 09-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #7

"tako and trb7 for the"*

Old 09-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #8

Of u checkout that thread, u will see what modifications we had to do for that exhuast.
As for finding the actual exhaust, just to to eBay or Amazon and type in "CRF230 exhaust" .

Old 09-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #9

Dam, one can tell I don't "proof read" before I post. Lol

Old 09-20-2019, 09:55 PM   #10

Dam you Frank! Now I suppose I'm going to have to have you learn me how to link shit so I don't look so ignorant.
Sorry alex_of, not to sound paranoid, but big brother is watching and laughing right now.
By bigbrother, I mean oneleggedrider.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #11

For those of u that don't know, onelegged and I are practically half brothers, since we have identical twins mothers. But due to our love of beer and or other bad habits, (smoking, fast crazy women n such) the only thing we'll ever have worth trading each other, is motorcycle parts.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:11 PM   #12

Even in death, he will serve me no purpose.
Might as well Keep'm alive.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:15 PM   #13

Exasperated sigh*

Old 09-21-2019, 05:05 AM   #14

Yep, identical twins and equally crazy, and we even suckled the same teet, whoever wasn't busy with a horse at the time breastfed the other's babies. But these women are so nutty I feel apprehension when I run into one at the store and then breath a sigh of relief when I realize it's Lois, Jay's mother. And he does the same when he runs into Linda, my mother. Can't tell 'em apart till they start talking.

Back to the original topic, there are several different companies that sell the CRF230 performance exhaust and they do have slight variations, and all cost about $100. Beware though, the TBR7 frame is slightly different than the Hawk. My pipe bolted right on easy peezy, but Jay's took about 2hrs of beating and bending, and an extension for the muffler hanger. Don't let that discourage you though, the end result was worth it. Sounds and runs alot better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DO...b_b_asin_title

Old 09-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Yep, identical twins and equally crazy, and we even suckled the same teet, whoever wasn't busy with a horse at the time breastfed the other's babies. But these women are so nutty I feel apprehension when I run into one at the store and then breath a sigh of relief when I realize it's Lois, Jay's mother. And he does the same when he runs into Linda, my mother. Can't tell 'em apart till they start talking.

Back to the original topic, there are several different companies that sell the CRF230 performance exhaust and they do have slight variations, and all cost about $100. Beware though, the TBR7 frame is slightly different than the Hawk. My pipe bolted right on easy peezy, but Jay's took about 2hrs of beating and bending, and an extension for the muffler hanger. Don't let that discourage you though, the end result was worth it. Sounds and runs alot better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DO...b_b_asin_title
thanks, so does the CRF230 use the same CG engine as all the chinese bikes?
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam

Front fork brace