Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #1

Apollo 250 Re-Gearing / Custom Sprocket

Scouring the internet for the exact sprockets that I needed to fit my Apollo for two weeks and the best that I was able to come up with is the 12 Tooth front Sprocket I needed. Trying to find a rear 530 pitch Sprocket with my hub and hole dimmentions wasn't happening... certainly not in the tooth-count that I desired.

I ended up calling Kim Parks at PMP Sprockets to custom make the rear for me. She machined a 48T Sprocket out of aluminum for me and anodized it with my choice of color for $115 Shipped. I can't say enough positive things about working with them. I took 'er out for a test ride last night and tonight and wow does it make a huge difference going from a gear ration of 2.71 to 4.00!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3706.jpg (91.5 KB, 1526 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3624.jpg (89.2 KB, 1474 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3619.jpg (85.5 KB, 1433 views)

Old 02-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 PM   #3

Cool. I have a bike with pretty much same engine and wheel combo and been thinking of a few gearing combos with available sprockets on the market. 15/56 (3.73) , 14/56(4), 13/48 (3.69), 14/48 (3.42), 15/48 (3.2)

4 seems a bit too low and the top end speed would really suffer but these are trail bikes, I can't decide. It's amazing how much a tooth or two changes the engine characteristics.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #4

Big Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerjac View Post
Cool. I have a bike with pretty much same engine and wheel combo and been thinking of a few gearing combos with available sprockets on the market. 15/56 (3.73) , 14/56(4), 13/48 (3.69), 14/48 (3.42), 15/48 (3.2)

4 seems a bit too low and the top end speed would really suffer but these are trail bikes, I can't decide. It's amazing how much a tooth or two changes the engine characteristics.
I will say that I am not at all regretting the gearing decision I made. Yes, first gear is super short now (was ready for this, but not expecting it to be as short as it turned out to be) but it is a huge difference in low end grunt. With this bike, a high top speed isn't really something I care about when trail riding.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudIntent View Post
I will say that I am not at all regretting the gearing decision I made. Yes, first gear is super short now (was ready for this, but not expecting it to be as short as it turned out to be) but it is a huge difference in low end grunt. With this bike, a high top speed isn't really something I care about when trail riding.
I totally understand. I'm trying to decide myself, I found out my trans is low geared to begin with so I'm still deciding on a happy medium. Mostly trail riding and sand but there is a lot of open flat nothingness around here to so a bit of higher end would be nice at times. What motor are you running if you don't mind me asking?