Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

NEW HAMPSHIRE Hawk Sighting Sunday

So I was detailing bikes at Laconia Harley, with my Hawk parked near. Looked up and what do I see, but another Hawk headed for parking, unable to pursue. I waited in hope that the lucky rider would happen see my trusty steed. It was not to be, so I shout out here." Were you here in Meredith NH"
Or to any other China Riders I will be out back of Laconia Harley Detailing Bikes Friday PM Sat & Sun All Day. Stop by, believe me you will recognize Me.

Best,
Lefty

2015 Hawk 250
1972 Honda CT70
Lost along the way;
1982 GS1100L
1983 Honda 185s 2ea.
1974 Puch 175mx
Right Arm

Old 06-13-2016, 09:37 PM   #2

based on your name and your signature i imagine you lost your right arm? if this is the case do you mind me asking how?

Old 06-13-2016, 10:21 PM   #3

Ask Away, I got i caught in a printing press 21 years ago gave away my gs1100 and managed to resist temptation till I came across this tw200 on pintrest
Best,
Lefty

2015 Hawk 250
1972 Honda CT70
Lost along the way;
1982 GS1100L
1983 Honda 185s 2ea.
1974 Puch 175mx
Right Arm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yamaha-tw200-2.jpg (89.6 KB, 249 views)

Old 06-14-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

ok, i know i am a rude a-hole ... and it is killing me to hold the joke ... but glad you have learned to ride again

Last edited by BARLOW; 06-16-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #5

Lefty, I'm in love with that TW! It gives me silly ideas about what to do with mine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-14-2016, 11:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Lefty, I'm in love with that TW! It gives me silly ideas about what to do with mine.
Yes I Know what you mean, because of it I just had to start riding again. Your Ideas are not silly or whimsical, I'm sure there brilliant and creative. Like making my Hawk look like this DRZ
Best,
Lefty

2015 Hawk 250
1972 Honda CT70
Lost along the way;
1982 GS1100L
1983 Honda 185s 2ea.
1974 Puch 175mx
Right Arm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tires-drz400.jpg (100.4 KB, 224 views)

Old 06-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

I love the knobbies on SM rims. What a cool look!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #8

That Suzuki is sweet .... I agree the tires look awesome.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Ask Away, I got i caught in a printing press 21 years ago...
Lefty, if you don't mind sharing, I'd be interested to learn about how you have laid out your controls.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #10

Weld
, I have rigged an old arm with springs to hold it strait and apply downward pressure on the grip. When i bend my elbo down i get about 1/6 to 1/5 turn on throttle. (need 1/4 turn for WOT) The hook can be described as a u bolt with one leg forward of, and one behind the throttle, this allows me to steer by swinging my elbo forward and back. (bike can be steered and throttled with out left hand on bars) If front brake is needed lifting arm up releases throttle and lifts hook free of bar, then slight reach and drop over brake lever. (ok for dubin around or holding bike at stop light, but not for panic stops) As of right now the only mod to the bike has been the addition of 2 friction cruse controls. (the kind that you press down against the brake lever) I am using them as adjustable palm rest.
Future mods to bike; a second rear master cylinder mounted in parallel, but with its line run to the front master cylinder with a double banjo bolt. This puts two masters on one slave, it works because both masters have stops to prevent back pressure blow out. Brake bias will be set for dry pavement panic stops.
Future mods to arm; stronger springs because throttle too easy and more control by building tension my shoulder. also clamp built into hook, arm strait hook/clamp open arm bent (even slightly) hook/clamp closed on throttle.
There is a lot of info here and yet, questions remain, as soon as I can I will post photos. The flood gates may open, but comments and questions are welcome.

Best,
Lefty

2015 Hawk 250
1972 Honda CT70
Lost along the way;
1982 GS1100L
1983 Honda 185s 2ea.
1974 Puch 175mx
Right Arm

Old 06-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #11

That sounds amazing! I'd love to see your setup.

When my Dad was visiting a couple of years ago, we went for a very chilly ride on the day after Christmas, since we don't often get snow around here (or even get much below freezing). He lost his left index finger in an industrial accident about 30 years ago, so his clutch hand doesn't cooperate when it gets cold out. He stalled it a few times towards the end of the ride, but at least my trusty China bike has electric start.

The whole ordeal got me thinking... what if he had a semi-auto to ride, like a Rekluse clutch? No way would I spend that kind of cash, so I started researching. The Honda ATC 200E was the only off-road trike that had a semi-auto five speed and electric start. The subsequent 200ES is shaft drive, so that's out. I bought a 200E motor, and I intend to start playing with it. It has a weird countershaft sprocket, but that won't matter if I swap in another transmission. Since the case is virtually identical to an XR200R, I should be able to swap in the six speed.

That'll give me a 200cc four stroke with a six speed and no clutch, along with a back-up pull-start. It'll bolt right in place of the existing China motor, and there will be no lever at the left hand.

In your case, you could swap the lever for a master cylinder, and use it to control the front brake. You'd still have gears to bang through, but it wouldn't likely ever stall at low rpm.

Just spitballin'.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:11 PM   #12

Weld,
Just applying simple principles would like to have the arm setup to ride any bike.
I have a Honda TRX200DR that is Chain, E-Start, Auto, 5speed plus Reverse. Possible 200cc enduro CanAm spyder copy project using TW/Blaster doner parts Oh where dose it end LOL
Best,
Lefty

2015 Hawk 250
1972 Honda CT70
Lost along the way;
1982 GS1100L
1983 Honda 185s 2ea.
1974 Puch 175mx
Right Arm

Old 06-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #13

It doesn't end, nor should it.

I'd love to see you build a bike using that TRX200DR motor. That would be awesome!