Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2016, 02:44 AM   #1

Question Reccomendations

New member here!

I'm looking to buy a new dirt bike with a 1300 dollar budget, fully assembled. I would like the bike to come ready to ride as I live in an apartment. I'm a mechanic so I can do the once over and all. I'm looking for a good street legal dual sport, mostly for trail riding, I already have road bikes.

Any recommendations for model and import/shipping company to order from? Power, color and looks aren't a concern for me. I just want a street legal dritbike.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:50 AM   #2

Welcome Cheap Bastard

The state that you live in has a lot to do with your choice, as some make it difficult to Register. I will defer to other more informed posters as to which are best where.

Best,
Lefty

2015 Hawk 250
1972 Honda CT70
Lost along the way;
1982 GS1100L
1983 Honda 185s ATCs.
1974 Puch 175mx
Right Arm

Old 05-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #3

The cheapest one out there wright now is the Hawk. Surprisingly a very good chinese bike from the experience with mine so far,and you get a lot of knowledge from the great members of this forum about it.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #4

your budget won't get it done unless you find a gently used Hawk somewhere on Craigslist.

first off, from prices I have seen, about $1350 will get one delivered to you 75% complete. if you are a reasonable mechanic, then the completion is really a snap.

On top of that, you'll need a few dollars for new jets to get it running properly (more about $40 more if you go with a mikuni VM26 from ebay). You'll also want to spring for a better spark plug, replacement of the swill they call oil, and replacement of the swill they call fork oil.

also, depending on what state you live in and if you want to get it registered, the Hawk may not be the answer. in that case you'll want to go with a Storm which will be a slightly higher price tag. perhaps $100 more???

Old 05-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #5

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #6

Again it depends on where you live but the Hawk is a great buy. Everyone here is really nice and willing to help each other out. Might be you can find someone on here that lives reasonably close who lives in a house with a garage where you could assemble the bike. It's really no more than 2 hours from un-boxing to riding.......

Old 05-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #7

i have never rode the hawk, but it seems to be a good bike from what others here say ... i do have a storm 250 and can say it is a really nice riding bike with a lot of low end grunt, it costs about $1550 though, but comes with the better sprocket size, inverted forks and a much more dual sport tire with a counterbalanced enging ... it also has e.p.a. and d.o.t. tags on it that make it easier to get legal in more places ... without ever seeing or touching one, i felt it was worth the extra $200 or so to get the storm and i love the bike, and with just over 600 miles, only problem has been that the low beam went out on the headlight

Old 05-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #8

http://www.superiorpowersports.com/2...k250db-07k.htm

What do yous think of this buy? I've
heard of the hawk, but I kinda like the look of the headlights detached from the fender. I know I said I didn't care about looks.

Also how do you get the bike off the delivery truck? Would it be possible for them to place the crate in a parking spot?

Old 05-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #9

this is the place i got my storm from ... the did a fine job ... they use a lift gate truck, and can put it where ever you want it (although i picked mine up at a dock to get it sooner)

Old 05-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARLOW View Post
this is the place i got my storm from ... the did a fine job ... they use a lift gate truck, and can put it where ever you want it (although i picked mine up at a dock to get it sooner)
Can they fit that truck in an apartment parking lot? If the can I think this might be the deal

Old 05-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #11

Welcome aboard Cheap !

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #12

you might also look up ADAM on this board from RPS, the hawk importer. ask him about the hawk and the status of the new Magician they are importing.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 05-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #13

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapBastard View Post

heard of the hawk, but I kinda like the look of the headlights detached from the fender. I know I said I didn't care about looks.

Also how do you get the bike off the delivery truck? Would it be possible for them to place the crate in a parking spot?
Hello, I managed to get this bike delivered for $1197. The plates cost 181 and you will insure for $7-15 month. State,insurance will vary.

They really do work as advertised. These bikes are fine for city but won't get much past 55 mph in continuous highway cruise.

I hadto adapt mine for continuing valve gap maintenance which all single cylinder air cooled motors require. Mine had clearance issue so you may want to go with the Bashar storm or hawk. Just a fyi. Here is my thread http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...over+clearence .

As long as you keep an eye on these bikes and keep everything in working order , they will give you years of service. Remember , this is do it yourself for sure! So you can't be shy about getting greasy and dirty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160427_151032664.jpg (105.8 KB, 200 views)
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-15-2016, 10:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapBastard View Post

Not familiar but one thing i DON'T like is it has a rear drum brake VS a Disc....

Old 05-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Not familiar but one thing i DON'T like is it has a rear drum brake VS a Disc....
And doesn't have inverted forks like the hawk, it was the price that hooked me.

Correction.... invverted forks like the bashan storm
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Last edited by BlackBike; 05-16-2016 at 11:07 PM.