Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #1

Speaking of too many toys.... Few kart questions

So as you guys might be starting to see, I got a few plans swirling around in my head for my toys. On top of the Maxfine & 3 car projects, I got a couple of Honda ATCs & a couple of go karts.

I came across both karts dirt cheap & for good reason. The first one cost $50 due to a broken frame, but it had a good running 5hp Briggs Fun Power & a few extra tires. The second one came to me as part of a trade, but had a bad motor. Neither have suspension, both are two seaters, both are one wheel wonders, & the broken frame kart has a roll cage & seat belt. I decided to put the Briggs motor on the good kart & give it to my son for his 7th B-day.

Hopefully you guys can see where I'm going with this one...... :roll: I want to re-weld the broken frame & toss a Lifan-based motor on it for myself. So far, my plan is limited to finding an auto trans motor big enough to power me & possibly a passenger or figuring out how to fab a shifter long enough for me to hand shift. I know there are shifter Karts out there, but not sure how they operate? So for those of you still with me after my babbling, What's the best method of attack here? Go auto & be limited to possibly 110cc or try to fab a shifter & go for 200cc? I am aware that brake upgrades will be necessary, lol.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:51 PM   #2

Hmm sounds like fun stuff.

I say go with a manual shift engine and add a foot operated clutch lever or put a hand operated clutch lever on the shift lever itself.

Modifying a foot shift lever by cutting and drilling a hole for a long shift rod extension to the shift lever up by your seat shouldnt be to difficult.

A foot clutch lever with a rod going back far enough to be able to use the stock clutch cable should be doable also.

A bit of fabbing up some parts but not to difficult.

pictures..........I like to see pictures

Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 PM   #3

What about an ATV powertrain with a manual transmission and an automatic clutch?

Old 03-20-2010, 03:24 AM   #4

If your kart is already set up for a Briggs, then you could pick up a GX200 clone from Harbor Freight like I did. They honour 20% off coupons that are found online and in major auto magazines.

You could attach a CVT (like Comet's Torq-a-verter) and have a crazy automatic. No shifter, no clutch, easy hook-up.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-20-2010, 11:22 AM   #5

Weldandgrind, I had thought about going that route & even checked out HF, but the cheapest motor is $129 for a 6.5hp motor. Since I still got the line on those $70 China motors I was thinking about picking one of those up. No need for a TAV or go kart style clutch if I use one of them.

FastDoc or anyone else that knows, what ATV motor should I be looking for to go clutchless, any visual clues?

TeamCheap, you read my mind. The motor mount is directly behind the driver, so the shifter would be operated by my left hand (Might be weird at first). I was just afraid that lengthening the shifter would affect it. Essentially, I would have to move the gear position less correct? Might make finding N tougher, but I didn't know if it would bind with the extra length. If I go that route, I'll keep it simple by adding a clutch lever on the shifter so it becomes one simple grip & pull or find a clutchless motor/trans.

Pictures will come as soon as I drop the motor in my Chevelle hopefully this week so it's not in my way anymore.