Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2019, 02:00 AM   #1

Hawk pilot jet seems I may have found it

Samples coming time will tell
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 54A7C8FF-2229-4DF5-9439-B6492266D390.jpg (9.1 KB, 757 views)

Old 05-08-2019, 02:25 AM   #2

As I said on Facebook, I would be very interested in a few of these. 48, 50, 52 and 55 to be specific.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-08-2019, 02:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Samples coming time will tell
These should also be for Sheng Wey PD10 carb.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:00 AM   #4

I’m hoping they fit all the weird pilot jet carbs
Only other I’ve found is CCW at $16 and only #45
I’ll see what n how I incorporate the jets to my items on eBay etc
Still difficult to get but if I do it right and have a way to offer the extra jets with my carb sprocket set I think that will cement the idea of just tuning the stock carb as I see that being the more or most logical and cost effective means to tune the new bikes
Starter kit and optional extra jets
Then maybe also offer the pumper carb which use the starter kit jets and add in the in between sizes etc.

I’m one to say I don’t think the Mikuni path is really worth it and there’s another as good and more cost effective path to starting out and upgrading the carb later on
Just my thoughts etc
Each to their own

Old 05-08-2019, 04:15 AM   #5

Having gone through tuning the stock carb, Mikuni, and this PZ30B, the Mikuni is by far much easier to get running properly. but it is far more expensive, and if you can get your hands on these jets in a few sizes it will definitely go a long way to making the stock carb a much more viable option, because that will eliminate the one real drawback to it, no pilot jet options.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-08-2019, 04:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Having gone through tuning the stock carb, Mikuni, and this PZ30B, the Mikuni is by far much easier to get running properly. but it is far more expensive, and if you can get your hands on these jets in a few sizes it will definitely go a long way to making the stock carb a much more viable option, because that will eliminate the one real drawback to it, no pilot jet options.
That’s what I’m thinking
Drilling the pilot is also ok if you don’t screw it up.
I think 90% or more cheap Chinese bike owners wouldn’t ever see or make a big difference with changing to a Mikuni carb - they only want a smooth running bike, and a handful might like to learn n tune their carb better and a few might move on to an upgraded carb with some improvements and all the while spending not so much in the progress from stock to the end results.
That’s my thoughts etc and I think it’s a good way to help/serve/earn from it.

Haters will hate others will find the idea good and others wouldn’t bother with Chinese bikes - all sorts of ideas out there

Old 05-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #7

I would love this as I still have the stock carb with the mikuni jet you can change but not the pilot. It runs fine once warm but I have to turn the idle up to get it to start from time to time. Would the pilot jet help this?

Old 05-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
I would love this as I still have the stock carb with the mikuni jet you can change but not the pilot. It runs fine once warm but I have to turn the idle up to get it to start from time to time. Would the pilot jet help this?
Jumping from 25 to 27 at the pilot made a huge difference in my starts and idle.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 05-09-2019, 06:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
Jumping from 25 to 27 at the pilot made a huge difference in my starts and idle.
I hope so. Waiting patiently to see if this is the one.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
I’m hoping they fit all the weird pilot jet carbs
Only other I’ve found is CCW at $16 and only #45
I’ll see what n how I incorporate the jets to my items on eBay etc
Still difficult to get but if I do it right and have a way to offer the extra jets with my carb sprocket set I think that will cement the idea of just tuning the stock carb as I see that being the more or most logical and cost effective means to tune the new bikes
Starter kit and optional extra jets
Then maybe also offer the pumper carb which use the starter kit jets and add in the in between sizes etc.

I’m one to say I don’t think the Mikuni path is really worth it and there’s another as good and more cost effective path to starting out and upgrading the carb later on
Just my thoughts etc
Each to their own
Yes, I agree. 5 years ago the Mikuni clones were about $25. Now they have gone way up. I've seen them offered as high as $45. I suspect that this is the old story of "all the traffic will bear." Amongst other descriptions of this kind of thinking the one that stuck with me was "The Harvard Business School Method", which has been described as "make parts as cheap as possible, and charge the highest prices that you can get away with." Basically all of these carbs are close to the same, the only real difference is the availability of parts, especially jets. Quality jets. Quality means that all the jets of a certain catalog number all flow the same amount of gas, air, or light. However they choose to measure them....ARH

Old 05-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
I hope so. Waiting patiently to see if this is the one.
Me too! at 117.5/27 with 1.5 turns on the mix the bike still backfires some if you release the throttle over 4,000 rpm, not near as bad as the 115/25 or 117.5/25 and it seems to start quicker. With the 17/43 or 41 gearing it still won't roll much over 60-62 mph though. In a month or so I'm thinking I will order the 44 or 45 cog and just live with the old 64-65 max. Not enough HP like the Hawks to ever get that 70 max.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #12

Drilling out the pilot jet is easy. # drill sets with pin vise are available on eBay for 4$. For my Hawk a 45 pilot made a huge difference in idle and off idle performance .016- .017 will get you very close to a 45 pilot jet. The number set I bought were actually metric and one bit was 45

Old 05-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Yes, I agree. 5 years ago the Mikuni clones were about $25. Now they have gone way up. I've seen them offered as high as $45. I suspect that this is the old story of "all the traffic will bear." Amongst other descriptions of this kind of thinking the one that stuck with me was "The Harvard Business School Method", which has been described as "make parts as cheap as possible, and charge the highest prices that you can get away with." Basically all of these carbs are close to the same, the only real difference is the availability of parts, especially jets. Quality jets. Quality means that all the jets of a certain catalog number all flow the same amount of gas, air, or light. However they choose to measure them....ARH
Mikuni clones are less common in China so cost more in China
Keihin is half price to Mikuni local markets.
Mikuni became popular in the USA cause someone said to use it n everyone followed.
Keihin clone is fine too and pumper near same price and easily get jets for it

Last edited by NzBrakelathes; 05-10-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Drilling out the pilot jet is easy. # drill sets with pin vise are available on eBay for 4$. For my Hawk a 45 pilot made a huge difference in idle and off idle performance .016- .017 will get you very close to a 45 pilot jet. The number set I bought were actually metric and one bit was 45
Yes my kit I supplied a drill to open it up etc, now I can offer a direct replacement jet so you could retain stock just in case.
The thing is what size should I add to my kit is my dilema #40? but that is stock I am told #42 is 1 size up or #45 as a replacement for stock carb and stock bike etc then at an extra cost 2-3 sizes up?

The other thing I would like to offer (but need buyers or I am wasting my time n money) is an uopgrade carb PZ30B pumper and the kit already has a bunch of jets suitable in that carb, so I would add in other sizes and in between sizes.

See how each is progress from 1 to the next step? less money wasted and less rubbish put in the rubbish bin!

99% of my sales are not from here sadly but from another person and THAT is the ONLY reason a sell the kits daily.

I am not allowed to work here in China so I need to invent another income stream and this is my way of doing it (sorry I know people expect "free" help advise but that can't always happen).

I am also looking for stock carbs from the Hawk, Bashan bikes Tao Tao TBR7 and I will pay postage to NY state - I will be in the USA next month looking at things talking with someone n testing some stuff etc.

My aim is to have a smooth path to a well running bike and upgrades from that which follow from the starter kit. All should work out a good bang for buck and retain the ability to reuse old stuff to the upgrade etc.
Tool sets and things to support the common things most people need and supporting the parts/tune/upgrade etc.

First tune kit with sprocket - covers you fine for stock bike to tidy it up, Carb tune tool helps for air bleed screw, valve adj tool set with special tool and metric feeler gauges so you can use the "go no go" testing/setting method to obtain the right clearance as a beginner. All intended to help the vast majority of new comers manage better the tasks.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Do you know the username of the chap in TX “project next”?
I’d like to ask him what the stock pilot jet was in his carb
In my kit I add in that style #40 as well as keihin #40 etc
Reason being the set should then cover the 3 known?! pilot jets at a slightly increased size from stock
I thought each #40 but if hawk type is #40 I’d need to at least add in #42
Common keihin #40 and that short style like in the storm #40
Cheers in advance