Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #16

i want to thank everyone for their replys, but i still need a answer to the important question: would this price effect a buying decision?
recracer, what do you think as a perspective buyer?
the reason i as is tommorrow im calling zong (manny) to see if something can be changed. i dont mind having to buy from zongshen, even not having many choices as long as its a tire that works well and has a reasonable cost.
spud, whats your thinking on this.
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #17

[recracer, what do you think as a perspective buyer? ]
yes Phil . that is a concern . wouldn't necessarily keep me from buying a zong ,but I'm researching wheel options to make things easier . thats me tho ,being a mechanic reasonable mods don't scare me much IE welding and fabrications

Old 08-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil
...i still need a answer to the important question: would this price effect a buying decision?...i dont mind having to buy from zongshen, even not having many choices as long as its a tire that works well and has a reasonable cost.
spud, whats your thinking on this.
Since I have made my Yamaha XT225 swingarm conversion, I am no longer affected by the Sierra 200 dual sport rear tire shortage/price inflation.

However, I agree with you, Phil. Before I changed swingarms, I did not mind having to buy my dual sport tires from Zongshen. I was also unconcerned with the lack of choice, as long as the tires worked well, and were reasonably priced. However, the tires have been unavailable for almost a year. In fact, if I understand you correctly, the rear tires are still unavailable, at least in any reasonable number.

Also, the price is exorbitant. Please don’t be offended, Phil; I realize that you are not setting the price. I also realize that Manny at Zongshen America is not setting the price. The Chinese are setting the price, and, in my opinion, it is unacceptably high.

Due to the long standing shortage/price inflation of the rear dual sport tire, the Sierra 200 cannot be considered a dual sport motorcycle. Unless the dual sport rear tire situation changes, I now consider the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 a supermoto street bike. As such, it is still a good motorcycle, but it should be considered a street bike with good ground clearance.

If a prospective Sierra 200 owner wants a dual sport motorcycle, he will either need to perform a swingarm conversion, or lace an 18-inch rim to the Zong’s rear hub. Both of these options can be accomplished for less than the current, inflated price of a single set of dual sport tires from Zongshen.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #19

WTH do you think the ZongMeisters were thinking when they chose the 15 inch rear rim?

"Hey Comrade Yang. We have a warehouse full of 15 inch wheels, and the Commander says we have to use them up. What do you think about sending them to Amerika?

Old 08-17-2009, 11:51 AM   #20

tire prices

Phil, I know its not your fault, but I think that's ridiculous price on those tires. I can get Dunlop D606's MOUNTED AND BALANCED at my local dealer for my HONDA XR650L at $100 a tire.

I was thinking of buying a second Zongshen, but i am having second thoughts now with this tire price/availability issue. Keep us posted on your progress.

Dave

Old 08-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
WTH do you think the ZongMeisters were thinking when they chose the 15 inch rear rim?

"Hey Comrade Yang. We have a warehouse full of 15 inch wheels, and the Commander says we have to use them up. What do you think about sending them to Amerika?
I don't know what they were thinking, Doc.

However, Zongshen makes several other dual sport motorcycles with the conventional wheel size. Also, Zongshen sells the LZX200GY-2 (Sierra 200 GY-2) all over the world, not just in "Amerika."

The Zonshen Sierra 200GY-2 is a well-built, rugged little motorcycle. The Chinese sell many of these motorcycles at home, and they provide all the domestic bikes with the dual sport tires. Therefore, I must believe the Chinese have a large supply of the Zong 15-inch rear dual sport tire. The big question in my mind is this: Why won't they ship a good supply of these tires to the United States of America? :?:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #22

Why won't they ship a good supply of these tires to the United States of America?

All part of the plan to keep us weak and dependant for the upcoming occupation. :roll:

Old 08-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Why won't they ship a good supply of these tires to the United States of America?

All part of the plan to keep us weak and dependant for the upcoming occupation. :roll:
That is probably as good an answer as any, Doc.

However, another possible answer is the Chinese just don't understand capitalism, and the American market for dual sport motorcycles.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #24

my guess to stock problem is it fits leftovers, and we arent a real good market and the whole commie thing BUT FOR GOOD NEWS i called today and told manny the price problem with the tires so the price may drop
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #25

Has any one tried Dunlop D739 rear tire, it seems to come in a 90/90-15 size?

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...53&click=37735

Old 08-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #26

It the Dunlap DOT approved? Not that it would stop me from using it, but those who need to pass inspection.

Allen

Old 08-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler
Has any one tried Dunlop D739 rear tire, it seems to come in a 90/90-15 size?

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...53&click=37735
GOOD FIND!!!, who care's about DOT approved around here, they do no inspections in our small town :mrgreen:

Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #28

is a 90/90-15 to small ? we have a 130/50-15 stock ? Anyone know ?

Old 08-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #29

Its not DOT approved. Its touted as a motocross/off road tire.

I think its pretty narrow...I am not sure if it would fit.. I am not a tire guy.

the stock tire is 130/90-15 vs.. this tire being 90/90-15

so I think you are losing about 1.5 inches width to the stock tire.

HOWEVER if it does fit? whats stopping us from putting it on as long as you arent riding them on the highway for miles and miles. It seems to me, for cross town jaunts or running the trails. It would be fine. I dont think this bike is made for highway cruising anyway!

When I got my bike inspected they didnt even look closely at the tires.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwholler
Its not DOT approved. Its touted as a motocross/off road tire.

I think its pretty narrow...I am not sure if it would fit.. I am not a tire guy.

the stock tire is 130/90-15 vs.. this tire being 90/90-15

so I think you are losing about 1.5 inches width to the stock tire.

HOWEVER if it does fit? whats stopping us from putting it on as long as you arent riding them on the highway for miles and miles. It seems to me, for cross town jaunts or running the trails. It would be fine. I dont think this bike is made for highway cruising anyway!

When I got my bike inspected they didnt even look closely at the tires.
According to the Dunlop tire fitment quide, the D739 tire is no longer offered in size 90/90-15.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...tire.asp?id=11

Also, the 14-inch, and 16-inch versions of this tire are designed for a 1.60 rim; the stock Zong has a 2.75 rim. In addition, this tire is quite narrow. You always want your rear tire to be significantly wider than your front tire, especially in the dirt. Otherwise, the bike handles weirdly, as if you were pushing a plow. :(

I don't want to be negative, but I don't think this tire will mount on the stock Zong's rear rim. :( However, someone might want to experiment with one, and prove me wrong. Personally, I would only try this tire with a 2.75-inch front tire.

If you wish to experiment, you probably should buy this tire quickly, since the 15-inch version of the D739 is not listed in the current Dunlop catalog.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220