Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #1

"Retro" Style Scooters, >50cc

Preferably at least 150. So, I may be in the market for a new scoot for the wife soon. Currently she has a Honda CH50 "Metropolitan," which is really a fantastic machine but at 49cc is... slow. To put it mildly. She's getting frustrated with the slothfulness of the little motor, especially on hills. It goes 40 MPH on paper -- on flat ground -- but once you get to an incline 25 MPH is about all there is on the menu at wide open throttle. Yes, I'm sure I could diddle with variator weights and rollers and so on and so forth but I think down that road lies madness.

Of course I have no shortage of stuff to ride on around here but the problem is that A) she's small, like 5-foot-nothing, so standover height is really a big issue, and B) she's just about determined she's not about anything with a clutch and gears.

The other limiting factor is that she really likes the old school/retro look like her Metropolitan. It is unlikely I will be able to sell her on anything with the current angular mantis face look that seems to be popular among the various maxi-scooters these days. (And a maxi- may be too big for her, anyway.)

This leaves us with...

- A Znen/Amigo F-10 150 or similar
- Find some used piece of crap that's not 49cc, with which I have had no luck
- Grab an AliExpress GY-6 150cc and attempt to shove it in the Metropolitan?

- Shell out the big bucks for a new Vespa or Piaggio

Or... ???

That's where you guys come in. Does anyone know of any really great retro lookin' models that are available in the US (and US street legal, but my state seems pretty lax given that I rammed through an RXB250 and got a plate for it)?

I am kind of digging the F-10 because it has disk brakes, ABS, and slightly larger tires than typical. The Metro has 10" wheels, dual drum brakes with cables, and no ABS. But if I'm missing some other option I'm all ears.

Old 04-21-2022, 03:02 PM   #2

Genuine Buddy 125. I'm going on 9 years of riding mine.

Last edited by wheelbender6; 04-21-2022 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Add a sentence.

Old 04-22-2022, 07:54 AM   #3

An interesting option of which I was not aware. The Buddy Kick looks nice, too. Seems like I'll have to put up with buying from a dealership if we decide we want one of those and all the BS that entails. The nearest one is over 200 miles away!

Old 04-22-2022, 09:26 AM   #4

The kick is probably better if you don’t plan on any engine mods.
I f you like to tinker and tune, the Buddy works better because it has a carb and no ECU.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:37 AM   #5

Nah, this is going to be gas and go for the missus. I have my own stuff to tinker with. Her Metro is also fuel injected which she likes. No messing with chokes. It's got like three horsepower over the base model as well.

Old 04-24-2022, 04:49 PM   #6

I was in the same boat last year. We came across a new Zuma 125 for about 2800. It doesn't have the cute look like a metropolitan, but the build quality is really good, and it keeps up with my "china" bikes. I know she hates the Mantis look, but my wife and her friends really love it.