Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #31

That video was a great find. I think it told us what we already knew: Torquey, low revving engines rule the trails and higher revving engines rule the street.
-the best thing about the video was to see that both bikes are tough, competent, reliable and worth the price.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
IrishJew I'd like to know if the Himalayan is phased at all by the Clark County Summer heat?
The thing just goes and goes regardless of outside temperature. I give up before the bike does, lol. I am still loving it and am happy with my purchase. I have been doing all of my own service on it since its a pretty simple bike with no issues at all.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:10 PM   #33

Glad to hear it is holding up well. I went to see if my local dealer had any in stock last Friday, and they were all sold out, even sold their demo bike.

But the salesman and his son now own Himalayans and shared the story of his recent 6,000 mile trip up the coast to Washington, to Montana and back down. Saw photos of the bikes along the way and oh boy they were fully loaded with all the camping necessities. He said the bikes performed very well with the weight and altitude, credit to all the torque the 411 motor produces.

Oil changes and 1 flat tire is all they had to deal with.
Although I thought the valve adjustments are every 3,000 miles. Really liking the reviews on this bike so far!

Old 04-02-2021, 06:31 PM   #34

Following this thread, I was curious if there were more Himalayan follow ups. I'm chomping at bit to get one, but scared of stories about lack of highway capability.

thx,

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 04-02-2021, 07:43 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrills View Post
Following this thread, I was curious if there were more Himalayan follow ups. I'm chomping at bit to get one, but scared of stories about lack of highway capability.

thx,
They aren't highway bikes. They have a big torquey engine, but still only produce around 25hp and weigh quite a bit. 80mph is about their absolute limit with the throttle pegged, give or take a bit.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-13-2021, 01:07 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrills View Post

thx,
What do you need to do for "highway speeds"? That can be really different depending on where you are. I just got my Himma and I'm still breaking it in and it would cruise all day at 65-70 mph. I can even accelerate uphill at 65 mph in 5th, and that's at 7300 feet.
If you live somewhere that you need to cruise at 75 or above and you'll be on the highway a bunch, best skip it in favor of something with a bit more top end.
The Himma is a fun bike that surprises me with its capability every time I ride it, but it is not a highway cruiser. I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross country, but I'd be on the back roads and not I-70.
If you provide more details about what you need highway wise I'm sure we could offer more advice.

Old 09-03-2021, 11:13 AM   #37

Great comparison video, thanks krat! Still might get a Himmi in the future but I have been lured by the ability to just pay cash for the Lifan X-pect.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Great comparison video, thanks krat! Still might get a Himmi in the future but I have been lured by the ability to just pay cash for the Lifan X-pect.

I dunno, I have a big beef with that RevZilla video. They went $600+ "over budget" with the Himalayan to buy the luggage set, but they stayed on budget for the RX4 and left the factory street tires on it so of course it got obliterated.

I think the Himalayan is definitely the *better* dirt machine, but they really didn't even give the RX4 a fighting chance by leaving those street tires on it IMO. (But I'm just a noob so wtf do I know)

Old 09-11-2021, 01:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNoob View Post
I dunno, I have a big beef with that RevZilla video. They went $600+ "over budget" with the Himalayan to buy the luggage set, but they stayed on budget for the RX4 and left the factory street tires on it so of course it got obliterated.

I think the Himalayan is definitely the *better* dirt machine, but they really didn't even give the RX4 a fighting chance by leaving those street tires on it IMO. (But I'm just a noob so wtf do I know)
I'm not even sure the Himmi is built as an ADV bike, for the Indian rider. It's more the family car, and has 50/50 tires because that is what is needed in a country with lots of unpaved roads. We in the west interpret it as an ADV and stick luggage on it.

Now the RX4 is designed to be an ADV, and has more street-biased tires, as you point out. This struck me as an apples-and-oranges comparison.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 09-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #40

An ADV bike is specifically designed to be used off road, not necessarily as a trail bike, but off pavement. Other wise it is just another sport touring bike.

It is the same as the difference between the Honda CB500r and the CB500X. The changes are in the tires and suspension.

It is the tires and suspension that define the ADV bike, not engine size, speed or luggage. In theory they should be as comfortable off road as on pavement and their adaptability to highway speeds is not really relevant.

An ADV bike should be able to get you to places a standard touring bike of any equal size can not go.

Yes, you can have an adventure, and travel a long way, at less than 90 MPH and without ever seeing an interstate!

Old 03-08-2022, 09:33 PM   #41

The good news is that somebody is finally making some good power adding equipment for the Himalayan 400.
The bad news is that they are in Austrailia.
-The dyno test at the link shows that you can add 5 rear wheel hp with a cam, ECU, airbox and exhaust.
You can add even more power with their big block kits. Worth a look.
https://au.himalayan-tools.com/nearl...re-the-ht-cam/

Last edited by wheelbender6; 03-08-2022 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelin