Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2022, 10:33 PM   #1

Storm 428H to 520 chain upgrade

The JTF328 front sprocket (I got one with 12 teeth) is a perfect match and the OEM front sprocket retainer fit exactly (used the same OEM 2x 10mm bolts with a drop of blue locktite). The JTR279 rear sprocket (35 teeth) fit perfectly (same bolt pattern), and I used a fat finishing nail clamped in a vice grip to get the snap ring on. Not too bad

Name:  Wheel.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  185.8 KB

But the recessed ring on the rear sprocket was incompatible with the original bolts, so I found thick washers and cut them to fit:

Name:  ShavedWashers.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  178.0 KB

Then the bolts fit just fine I added a drop of blue locktite just before bolting the sprocket on:

Name:  Bolted.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  172.8 KB

I had to take about 12 links off the 120 link RK M520H chain.
Here is a side by side pic with the 520 on the left, original 428 on the right. Much heftier link thickness and a slightly longer pitch. I destroyed that old chain with clay/mud. Never again. I am staying away from mud!

Name:  428Hvs520.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  188.8 KB

I am going about 7% lower final drive ratio so it will be slower but 1st and 2nd gears will be better off road. I can't wait to try this out

Old 04-24-2022, 09:02 AM   #2

Thumbs Up Better offroad performance

I am impressed. The Bashan Storm is more motorcycle than I ever imagined, especially for the ~$1500 I paid for it.

It needed a few things...
1. Fork oil change to 15W Motul heavy duty and increase in fork oil volume to ~320mL
2. Knobbies -Tusk DSport rear and Shinko 524 front
3. slight gear reduction and this new heavier chain
OEM gearing was 17T/46T =0.3696 final drive ratio
New gearing is 12T/35T =0.3429 final drive ratio

That is a 7% drop. The gears feel closer ratio since speed in every gear is scaled back. What a difference this makes off road!

One other thing happened, I had removed about 12 links (120link chain) and when I installed it, the axel was only two lines from the rear of the adjustment travel, so I removed another link. This put it just behind two lines from the FRONT of the adjustment travel, so the wheelbase has been slightly shortened.

Lower gearing and the slight change in wheelbase make it easier to loft the front wheel! FUN! I got some nice extended wheelies yesterday. The heavier chain gives the bike a more stable feel too. When you need to replace your chain, I really recommend making the change from 428 to 520.

I will get some pictures of this riding spot today. The hard clay is nasty when it is very dry, the tires just can't dig in, and the front wheel would wash out with the original dual sport tires! The clay is totally mucky when it is wet (stay away!). But if you get into it when it has just rained a little bit and soaked in, PERFECT! The tires dig in a little and grip.

Last edited by Thumper; 08-10-2022 at 06:23 PM.