Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #1

Thoughts on buying a Hawk used?

Since I know how important the break-in is on these bikes, and I know how important it is to take proper care of them. The "you get what you pay for" mentality is more valid with these bikes than a lot of other things in this world.

So my question being... How bad of an idea is it to buy a used Hawk just to save a couple hundred $?? I've seen a few within reasonable distance from me with anywhere from 800-1500 miles on them, selling for around $1000. Would that be a terrible idea? Is there things I should be looking for that would be a definite "RED FLAG" not to buy if I were to look at purchasing one?

Thanks in advance for replies!

Old 04-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #2

Also, there is a dealer about 150 miles from me that actually carries the Hawk 250 IN STOCK! But they have them listed for $1600, and I would assume they will also charge tax and title on top of that. But that's an assumption, I have yet to reach out to them.

Old 04-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #3

I bought my first hawk for 600 and my second for 300. The first needed some carb work, the second just needed lots of maintence.

If you're handy, these bikes fix right up even in poor condition. Reslly just make sure you get the title and the title is in their name if you buy it used. The engines on these bikes are pretty solid even if they're run to hell in the beginning. Although most people don't because they scream

Old 04-14-2019, 03:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashka View Post
I bought my first hawk for 600 and my second for 300. The first needed some carb work, the second just needed lots of maintence.

If you're handy, these bikes fix right up even in poor condition. Reslly just make sure you get the title and the title is in their name if you buy it used. The engines on these bikes are pretty solid even if they're run to hell in the beginning. Although most people don't because they scream
I'm not worried about working on the bike. I planned on doing a decent amount of work to the bike if i buy new. I work on cars for a living, don't really know much about bikes though. I was more so worried about how badly these engines can be effected by abuse or neglect. Last thing I want is to buy a bike used to save a couple hundred dollars, then end up having to shell out that couple hundred dollars to replace the bottom end or chasing some stupid wiring issue. Then I'd be out of a bike while I do the work.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #5

I bought mine from a guy who bought it for his grandkids to rag on. When I got it, it was stock with the original oil. granted it was low miles but it's whole life was being ridden by 12-16 year old boys. I am sure it was broken in the hard way. I oik immediately, it was the worst oil i have ever seen. I tuned the carb and now I have put close to 4K miles and two years with zero issues.

Oh and I have about $600 ion it total. I would buy another used one.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:07 AM   #6

I wouldn't spend more than half what they sell for new. Since you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to slap one together fairly easily. Not to mention, you can go over all the nuts and bolts and take time to locktite, grease, or oil (depending on what, lol) your shiny new bike. If you get one for $600 or $700 (that would be my ceiling, and it should be running), you probably still want to take it apart and put it back together again using locktite, grease, and/or oil.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #7

I run across Hawks all the time on facebook Market place. Most hardly have any miles and state they need a new carb. These are bought by people that had no clue on what they bought or how to tune or maintain them. I've seen them go anywhere from $600-800. Been tempted to pick one or two up and tune them up to resell. I would do it. Bring a compression gauge with you to check it before buying.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-17-2019, 12:15 AM   #8

at 800-1500 miles they are just broke in and the most you would have to do is hone the cylinder and new rings if you felt it didnt have enough compression. seeing the pistons from an easy broke in and a hard broken in bike convinced me the hard break in is the way to go. these bike were built for third world countries where maintenance is non existent and they hold up fairly well.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 04-17-2019, 12:18 AM   #9

I broke mine in the "hard" way, but with 6-7 oilchanges by the time I hit 600 miles. It shows too, it runs so good. And goes 65 with no problem with my 17/50 sprocket setup.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:31 AM   #10

I would have zero issues buying a used Hawk/Bashan/ etc. My only conditions would be.

1. Already registered/Titled. Too many headaches involved if the original owner did not do so.
2. The price is reasonable. It would depend on miles, mods, etc, but anywhere up to $1000 is ok in my mind. If it were any more expensive than that I would just get a new one.

As was already stated, I would treat it like any new Hawk and go through the whole bike to properly grease bearings, pivots, etc and go through the bolts.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weazler View Post
Since I know how important the break-in is on these bikes, and I know how important it is to take proper care of them. The "you get what you pay for" mentality is more valid with these bikes than a lot of other things in this world.

So my question being... How bad of an idea is it to buy a used Hawk just to save a couple hundred $?? I've seen a few within reasonable distance from me with anywhere from 800-1500 miles on them, selling for around $1000. Would that be a terrible idea? Is there things I should be looking for that would be a definite "RED FLAG" not to buy if I were to look at purchasing one?

Thanks in advance for replies!
On top of what every one else is saying, I would not pay more than $800.00 for a used one, and then only if the guy had a valid title, in his own name...ARH

Old 04-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #12

I bought my hawk with 800 miles. The owner had replaced the carb, rear sprocket, full exhaust system, lock tight on all bolts and added 3 led lights. The guy had really taken care of it and did all the upgrades. I could tell he liked the bike. I asked why he was selling, he had just bought a Triumph 800 tiger. He used the Hawk to test the waters and when he was hooked he upgraded. I would do it.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #13

I'll have mine for sale as soon as i dig it out of the pole barn. It has right around 200 miles on it. I bought it in Montana and moved to Wisconsin shortly after. I am not a street rider and their isn't much single track in the woods here to ride so i ride the ATV's and take the pontoon boat out more. I put less that 20 miles on it last year. It was mostly used for R&D on the clusters i sell. It has a digital cluster of course, (original cluster included for mileage verification) Upgraded CDI, Mikuni Carb, Longer MSR shifter, Upgraded footpegs, Water bottle holder, Handguards, Oil Cooler, Back rack and suitcase. Currently registered and licensed in Montana. Photos uploaded are all i have for now. Hate to sell it on one hand as it's lots of fun but can't justify leaving it sit. Bike is like new.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170228_125300.jpg (100.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 20170423_171310.jpg (66.1 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 20170423_171312.jpg (54.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg 20180710_121548.jpg (91.5 KB, 181 views)

Old 04-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #14

Chinese dual sports can be bough dirt cheap even with hundreds in mods on them. I have a couple for sale now that come with a lot of upgrades and accessories..

I've seen them stay listed months dirt cheap with mods, and from my own experience on Craigslist and Facebook markets people either want a bigger engine or a popular make or want to pay less than $500.00.

It's entirely different from Chinese 150cc scooter market for some reason. I can sale one of those in a week for at least $800.00 stock. I think people put "moped" tags from a 50cc on them and ride them illegally.

I guess people with an endorsement and money prefer something they can ride on highways or that they can park at a biker hangout without some cheap-bike stigma.. I kind of get some of that I'd want at least one dual-sport I can actually take long distances without navigating slow back roads; I've had at least one XL or XR 500 or 650 since I got my license and I can easily use an interstate to get somewhere fast..

Old 04-18-2019, 01:52 PM   #15

TBH, there's not a huge incentive to buy used. I mean, $1,400 brand new and to your door? Hard to beat. I did buy used, but under 100 miles and I was afraid of licensing, at the time, and knew the bike was already successfully registered. That said, I wouldn't want to be a seller either. My bike rolled over 1,500 miles and, even with the upgrades, is probably worth $800 on a good day. Crazy right? You can probably make a killing parting these bikes out.

1982 Yamaha XJ1100 Maxim