Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2022, 06:56 PM   #1

My first thoughts on the Magician.

So I live near the Adirondack park and have endless miles of backroads to explore. I already have a few enduros and scooters but this spring I wanted to try something different, and I found it the Magician.
I bought it from Texas powersports, somehow I didnt have any problems. It came in 5 days, I got the MCO and bill of sale 2 days after requesting it. It had a busted side cover, the battery was also crushed and the acid had leaked into the crate, anyhow I messaged them and they sent me a new battery and cover. I had no problems whatsoever registering it in NY.
ANYHOW I took my time assembling it, and really for the price it was fine. I greased a few things and locktighted a few more. People are usually hard on the Magician, I knew the Hawk was a better value, but I already had a bike that filled that nich.
Honestly I hated it after the first ride but that was partly my fault. The vibrations where terrible and the rear wheel bearings self destructed at 24 miles. That was because I had overtighten ed the rear axle nut. I robbed my XR parts box and put a set of Renthal bars on it and took steps to wieght them. If anyone is interested I'll explain what I did there. I also replaced the wheel bearings with some used ones I had kicking around. I have since ordered a set of sks for it.
My carb was fine right out of the crate. I cant really complain its a fun little bike. My speedo is way off, unless I somehow got an incredibly fast Magician. My daughter keeping up with her Express 2 makes me think my speedo is junk...If any other Magician owners have any suggestions I would love to hear them. I gotta say this China stuff is pretty neat.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #2

A fun bike to ride! If you want it to last I would go through it and grease all that needs it. There is a "way" to approach these China Bikes to get them in good shape. At the top of the Dual Sport Thread a must read "HAWK Resource Guide" applies to all China bikes in my opinion. I would definitely look at the head stock, swing arm, and I would highly recommend taking apart the suspension drop link and grease all with some moly or waterproof grease.

I would consider a 17T front sprocket and CAT removal or an aftermarket exhaust (need spark arrestor) as it appears you are riding on public land. The airbox filter is a joke and unless you want to suck in massive amounts of dust this summer you need to find a filtration solution. I did an airbox mod and installed a POD filter that can be oiled. Beware getting the airbox out is a lesson in frustration.

Old 04-23-2022, 03:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I did grease the swing arm, but only the 1 fitting on the suspension link, I'll check that. I ordered a 17 front sprocket too after reading your reply. When you say "check the head" do you mean for valve adjustment? Also I'll see what I can do with the airbox. I dont plan alot of mods for this bike so I'm thinking a preventative approach to maintaining it. Also where is the Cad? Must be in the muffler assembly?

Old 04-23-2022, 11:10 PM   #4

By Head stock I mean the triple tree bearings or steering stem assembly that attaches the front wheel to the frame, they usually have very little grease on the bearings. Its work, you will have to dismantle the front end but to me it is the nature of the China Bike experience you are going to have to do some retro maintenance to get it in good shape and regular maintenance to keep it reliable. The CAT stands for catalytic converter and is located in that bulged section of the exhaust header. There are threads on the forum about how to remove it. Taking it out improves exhaust flow and performance. The forum is filled with many great threads with valuable info but you will have to search for it.

Old 04-23-2022, 11:18 PM   #5

Thanks for responding so fast. I did grease the triple tree on my initial setup. It had some yellowish stuff in it.... As for the cat I was confused, that bulged section of mine is completely hollow! I'm not sure why. I had the header off and i could slide a fuel line I had lying around right through it. My CRF has 2 cats one there and one in the muffler. I'm not sure my magician ended up with either. I have about 100 miles on it now and I'm having a great time with it.

Old 04-24-2022, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeGroat View Post
Thanks for responding so fast. I did grease the triple tree on my initial setup. It had some yellowish stuff in it.... As for the cat I was confused, that bulged section of mine is completely hollow! I'm not sure why. I had the header off and i could slide a fuel line I had lying around right through it. My CRF has 2 cats one there and one in the muffler. I'm not sure my magician ended up with either. I have about 100 miles on it now and I'm having a great time with it.
The bulgy section that is hollow is a resonator chamber, to take the harsh sound out of the exhaust.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself