Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #1

My CSC TT250

I've been asked to start a thread with photos, video, info. I can't post photos & video because I don't have a place to host them, at least I think that's what I need. They seem to be too big to post as attachments. I'm not computer savvy.

Overall the CSC bikes look and feel way less like a cheap Chinese thing than any others I've seen, most of them scream "cheapo" at a glance.

I picked it up late Saturday morning and headed home. The speedo cable broke 12.6 miles in. It was caused by the assembly guys not routing it right when they put the headlight in, known problem and a new cable awaits me. As soon as I got home I did a compression test (160-165 on a generous gauge). I was planning to take it with me when I went to pick the bike up just out of curiosity and to track any changes along the way but forgot it. I haven't ridden it a lot, but I played around with it a bit over the weekend and have some stuff to say about it.

Engine: Wait, is that what they call that thing? I'm sorta getting used to it. I'm coming from riding a Ducati999s and a Honda CBR1100XX so of course 16HP feels slower than walking. Power delivery is smooth, the engine runs great at any RPM and load. Hot restarts take a few seconds of cranking, otherwise it seems to always start right up whether electric or kick. My first startup at the dealer I kicked it, took 2. It had been partially warmed up by Steve who appears to the go to guy there for bikes, they sell VW parts also. He took it around back to put more gas in it for my ride home so it was partially warmed before I started it. I really wish the throttle were quicker. Since it's something that needs a lot of throttle to ride it's annoying to have to twist it so far. Hopefully I can find a way to modify that. The throttle spring is soft and I found myself accidentally pulling it off idle a few times while braking. It's probably a combined effect of the light spring and the long pull making me want to have my hand in the wrong position on the throttle. I'm used to something that never needs more than 1/4 throttle to giterdone.

Transmission/clutch: It's way under geared, or at least feels that way, so it'll probably be getting a sprocket change. It doesn't have a Tach, but it feels like it could wind out 5th gear. It shifts very smoothly but I wish the shifter spring were tighter. With my steel toe work boots on I had several occasions where the lever didn't come back to center between shifts. It never skipped or did anything goofy, I just had to try again for the next gear. I just couldn't feel it like I can other shifters. I think the lever travel is more than I'm used to as well possibly adding to my shifting issue. The clutch lever effort is very light, it moves smoothly, clutch engages smoothly. I haven't dumped the clutch on asphalt but did on some hard dirt; got a small spin and small wheelie. Wasn't a high rev dump, just a light one in the backyard heading to the bike parking entry way (AKA back door leading to family room). The shift shaft seal was leaking when I first got home but it seems to have cured itself.

Suspension: (I weigh about 175 without gear) Rear feels pretty good but a bit under sprung. The forks have more stiction than I'm used to and seem to be over sprung. Going over a series of dips where most cars slow to about 10 I rolled through at about 30 (no speedo) staying seated. The rear felt like it bottomed, the front didn't seem to compress much. Standing they were smooth to go over.

Switches/buttons. All of them are soft and smooth, maybe too much so. It's hard to feel the turn signal switch with gloves on. It's springs are pretty soft and it's further back than I'm used to requiring a bit of hand twist/lifting away from the grip to get on it. I find myself straightening my index finger to rotate my hand and noticed I was hitting the flash to pass button, it's spring is very soft and easy to accidentally press. I'll try rotating it down, that should help make it easier to get to.

Handling: I haven't ridden a dirt bike in decades and never did much of it then. I've had a couple standard bikes but mostly sport bikes so I have no fair comparison. Wind pushes it right around at will. It's so light and tall I find myself wandering a bit when making low speed turns. Bar input/leaning is odd feeling. No fault of the bike I think, just me and what I'm used to riding. It doesn't feel skittish or poorly designed, the geometry is just way off of what I've been riding. It feels closer to riding a bicycle, something else I haven't done in years.

Brakes: Adequate and beats the heck out of drums like found on most cheap bikes. I adjusted the rear brake pedal position to my liking and adjusted the pushrod to shorten up the throw. On the front brake I put a piece of stick-on foam between the lever and master body (where the brake switch is) to take out some freeplay and shorten the pull. They'll never feel like Brembos but any simple way to make them feel better is worth it.

The mirror shape is goofy and the glass is warped on both, more so on the left one. I'll be hunting for replacements when I go get my speedo cable and hope to find a flat pair. The hose to the front brake rubs on the back of the left turn signal stalk and has already started marring up the rubber so I'll be looking to re-route it. The turn signals are rotated off of straight. The rears were easy to rotate, the fronts seem to have a post keeping them in position. I didn't feel like taking them off right then to fix but I will. The rear fender is crooked, bottom of it is pretty far right of center. I can see that it's not mounted straight so I'll play with the mounting and hopefully get it straightened up.

That's all that currently comes to mind.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #2

how about a free photobucket account at www.photobucket.com ?

- 2008 Kawasaki Versys
- 2016 CSC TT250

Old 05-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #3

Or Tiny Pic no account needed.

http://tinypic.com/

/

Old 05-23-2016, 12:46 PM   #4

thanks for the write up. Others have suggested good hosting sites for the pictures, as far as videos I would suggest making a youtube account and uploading them there

Old 05-23-2016, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughmas View Post
thanks for the write up. Others have suggested good hosting sites for the pictures, as far as videos I would suggest making a youtube account and uploading them there
Uploading videos to youtube is pretty easy. If I can do it. . .

2016 CSC TT250

Old 05-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #6

Thanks for the post 16 TT250. Sounds like it's not a Ducati or a Honda, but that's no surprise really. Can't really expect that for $1,895 for goodness sake.

I've always thought those mirrors looked goofy too. To me, they look like something from a Transformers cartoon or something.

There must be something out there that looks better that will fit. I think that will be one of the first things I will change on mine.

2016 CSC TT250

Old 05-23-2016, 01:09 PM   #7

"I adjusted the rear brake pedal position to my liking and adjusted the pushrod to shorten up the throw."

BEWARE OF THIS. I did this to one of my Hondoids (same brake setup) and as the fluid and brake components heated, I ended up with a locked rear tire 5 miles out on a lonely trail. Had to sit there for quite a while for it to unlock so I could get back to my truck.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
"I adjusted the rear brake pedal position to my liking and adjusted the pushrod to shorten up the throw."

BEWARE OF THIS. I did this to one of my Hondoids (same brake setup) and as the fluid and brake components heated, I ended up with a locked rear tire 5 miles out on a lonely trail. Had to sit there for quite a while for it to unlock so I could get back to my truck.
I considered posting the warning/instructions but I wanted to keep it to the review. The way I do it: after the lever is in the position wanted press on the caliper and make sure the piston compresses. Pump it back out, take out some slack, retest. Do this 'till it blocks fluid flow (can't compress caliper piston) then back the adjustment out. On the front pretty much same. Shim and test 'till it's as tight as you want it without blocking flow. I found it kinda hard to press the rear caliper, like something was binding as I pressed, removing it and using pliers or a C-clamp will make it easier to feel.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:44 PM   #9

Here's a mirror idea that I think is great from our friend Spud:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...folding+mirror

I think I might buy these and have them ready to put on when the bike gets here.

2016 CSC TT250

Old 05-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjester View Post
Here's a mirror idea that I think is great from our friend Spud:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...folding+mirror

I think I might buy these and have them ready to put on when the bike gets here.
The Ken Sean mirrors are great. The Bikemaster mirrors are identical, so search for the best price.

Avoid the cheaper copies of these mirrors; they are inferior.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ken-Sean-Bla...25.m3641.l6368

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2016, 12:14 AM   #11

With the TT being so angular I think round mirrors would look goofy on it, but I may try some just to see. I like the way those tuck in, pretty cool.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:34 AM   #12

I'm having trouble getting the photos off my computer, new to me, so I'll try with my other one tomorrow when I get some time. This kinda crap frustrates me, it's probably something simple but I just don't get it.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post
I'm having trouble getting the photos off my computer, new to me, so I'll try with my other one tomorrow when I get some time. This kinda crap frustrates me, it's probably something simple but I just don't get it.
I would make an account on imgur.com. You can drag and drop your pictures right onto the web page and it will upload them and add them to your account. You can then get the message board links and post them to forums

Old 05-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #14

Here are links to threads which describe two different ways to post photos on these forums.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=8377
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14422

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2016, 02:18 AM   #15

Thanks for the links. Couldn't get them to load from the computer but did it off my phone. They normally remove the 250GY sticker on the swingarm, I asked to leave it on. I might take it off but I kinda like it. I took all the stickers off the engine and the one on the gas tank; all warnings, QC, & stuff. I'll probably also remove the safety/ID sticker on the swingarm. I asked that they install it somewhere hidden or not install it but they have to put it on and it must be visible. I may try to relocate it if it doesn't fall apart removing it. Initially black was the only color I had written off, oddly wound up liking it best. I like that everything kinda matches with just some contrasting parts, plus the reasons below about the other colors.

Where it lives keeping the Honda company now that the Duc has gone away.

https://imageshack.com/i/poj4s7aKj

https://imageshack.us/i/pnBnXqFVj
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/62...922/yJUlkj.jpg
https://imageshack.us/i/poqddECCj
https://imageshack.us/i/plIm2J4Ij

The white model. I liked it except for the orange TT letters. I considered the thought of removing the decals but thought it would look too plain, still tossed.
https://imageshack.us/i/plgzitrhj

And the copper. I think it's a little less orange/red looking in person than in photo, but not copper enough to finish drawing me in; it was almost there. Had it been more like the late Jeep copper I'da probably done it.
https://imageshack.us/i/pm1dkkoej