Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #46

Yes it was a. 40. Still some more carb work to do. I think I will have to try the original pilot jet. The engine started loading up after running a while and it stalled. The original jet was not the same length as the one I installed.

Those fat bar risers might work. Heading out to measure the bars now. Thanks.

Last edited by rich_e; 08-15-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Old 08-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #47

Dialed the jetting back a little bit on the 125. I put the pilot jet in that came with the PZ26 carb. I don't know what size it is but it is the only one that fits this carb. The silver one in the picture is from the PZ27 carb, you can see how different they are. It ran with the silver one but started acting weird and stalling when warmed up.

Started with the mixture screw about 2 and half turns out. Adjusted, in, about a turn to the highest idle. So the pilot jet is probably fine.

I also changed the main jet from a 102 to a 98. It seemed a little fat on the top end after I changed the pilot. I think a 100 would be just right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pilotjets (Medium).jpg (66.5 KB, 168 views)

Old 08-19-2015, 03:51 AM   #48

Rich I just got to building my panterra 150 after having it for nearly 2 years. I recently picked up a 125cc model and it was near mint needed carb adjusting.
I have a couple of questions for you. What throttle cable are you replacing the stock one with as both of my bikes will need new ones. Also if you find a speed o meter cable that works let me know as for what carb works best with the 150 I also bought the pz27 but it seems like the 150cc gets too much gas with the pz27. What plastics did you put on. Post some of these parts if you can and where you got them. Also my panterra 125cc has the certificate of orgin with the vin and everything but it says off road use only should I go the Vermont route as well and try to get the title transferred to my state in GA? Let me know if you have any questions because I have a 125cc of the same bike in new condition.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_e View Post
The silver one ...
Nickel plated for longer life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbber View Post
...the 150cc gets too much gas with the pz27...
PRC made Keihin (the REAL 1, not clones...)
(125) PZ26: 38 92 | (150) PZ27: 38 105 | PZ30: 36 108 / 33 112
Sea level/ high altitude? Current jets size ? Adjusted it correctly?
---
Cables
Chonda dual sport are based from mid 80s XL125S http://fanyi.baidu.com/transpage?que...e=url&render=1 . The 80s XR185 parts is close enough

Last edited by humanbeing; 08-19-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonbber View Post
Rich I just got to building my panterra 150 after having it for nearly 2 years. I recently picked up a 125cc model and it was near mint needed carb adjusting.
I have a couple of questions for you. What throttle cable are you replacing the stock one with as both of my bikes will need new ones. Also if you find a speed o meter cable that works let me know as for what carb works best with the 150 I also bought the pz27 but it seems like the 150cc gets too much gas with the pz27. What plastics did you put on. Post some of these parts if you can and where you got them. Also my panterra 125cc has the certificate of orgin with the vin and everything but it says off road use only should I go the Vermont route as well and try to get the title transferred to my state in GA? Let me know if you have any questions because I have a 125cc of the same bike in new condition.
For the 125, I got a 40" throttle cable of ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/111359753115...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. I didn't replace the one on the 150 yet.

I have a speedometer cable coming from China http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=6917102481, don't know if it'll be the right one since it's not here yet.

The PZ27 is working well on the 150 with the 105 main jet and the 42 pilot. I also have a foam air filter on it. I have the needle set at the third spot from the bottom.

The side covers on the 150 are from a Jialing 150. I found them on Taobao http://world.taobao.com/item/5099840...?fromSite=main. I noticed that my bike had the tabs on the frame with the rubber plugs to accept side covers. These don't fit exactly. The right side lines up good but the left side doesn't. Plus, they were made for a different seat, so there's a gap along the top. Still, better than nothing.

From what I've read online, Vermont won't register an off-road only VIN unless the bike is inspected by a Vermont inspector for compliance with their laws.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #51

Thanks for the the info guys.

I haven't set up a taobao or Ali account but I see its working out great for you. I've managed to find some parts on eBay at mid range prices. Thanks for posting the links to the parts it makes it easier to reference.

For the throttle cable Ive been using a lead fishing weight I clamped on the end to seat in the throttle handle. I tried buying a random 44" pz27 cable for gy6's and that's what I'm using for the 150. The cable was for a scooter so it didn't have the threaded end I needed but it fit somewhat in all other aspects. I called my local honda dealer about a week ago asking for anything close to a 1985 xl125 and they said it would either be a special order or I could take the cable off and bring it in And he would match it up. I'm going to put it off until I can set up Taobao.

Do you plan on changing the rear sproket out on this bike?

Old 08-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #52

AliExpress is easy to work with. Prices aren't much better than ebay but sometimes you can find things that aren't on ebay. That cable I posted from ebay will work with the PZ carbs.

Haven't ridden either bike enough yet to think about a sprocket change. Both seem okay now. I think they are both stock sprockets now.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Nickel plated for longer life.

PRC made Keihin (the REAL 1, not clones...)
(125) PZ26: 38 92 | (150) PZ27: 38 105 | PZ30: 36 108 / 33 112
Sea level/ high altitude? Current jets size ? Adjusted it correctly?
I doubt its adjusted correctly. Fortunately I have the original carb for the 150cc and two new pz27's one has manual choke the other two are cable chokes.

For the needle it was set from factory at the third notch but I adjusted it up and down and it didnt make a difference. I probably have a clogged idle jet and main jet because I have to blip the throttle hard to get it to fire and then it won't idle at all. I tried turning the idle screw all the way in choke all the way on and backing out the air fuel screw on the bowl? Neither worked. I adjusted the screw that's upside down on the carb with some pliers all the way in and backed it out trying to start at every 1/4 turn ( never knew what the best settling for this screw). The altitude here isn't much higher than sea level so I think the needle is fine in the middle.

I'm thinking I have several problems with the new pz27 carb on my 150cc like stuck bowl (would explain too much gas) clogged jets( blipping throttle).

The carb was new but the tank had some rust or flakes of metal or paint at the bottom of it. I cleaned the tank the best that I could before I stuck it on the bike. I thought that the peacock had a filter built into it but I guess that wasn't good enough.

Since my tank for the 150 had rust in it I've bought two inline fuel filters for both bikes so I can eliminate as much of the debris in the tanks. The 125cc runs great with the inline filter on it and I'm hoping I can filter out as much of the junk in the 150cc tank with these.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #54

I'm surprised your Pantera 125 was sold as off-road only. I looked at some pictures on google and the Pantera isn't a like the Baja 125 I have. It's a typical enduro, GY, style bike with lights, spedo, etc. I guess they didn't get any EPA certifications.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:05 PM   #55

Quote:
AliExpress is easy to work with. Prices aren't much better than ebay but sometimes you can find things that aren't on ebay. That cable I posted from ebay will work with the PZ carbs.

Haven't ridden either bike enough yet to think about a sprocket change. Both seem okay now. I think they are both stock sprockets now.
I think the sprocket on the back of both these bikes have the same amount of teeth. When comparing the two bikes 125 and 150cc you can't tell the difference the 150cc has slightly more bottom end torque as expected but both topped out around 55mph with the stock sprocket.

I want to say the sproket is a 428x56t sprocket. From what I've gathered the front sproket is a 14t sprocket and the 198X XL125/175 sprocket is a fit. Other people have posted a 43t sprocket is the lowest you can go with a top speed of 80mph any lower and it robs power and you have to burn the clutch. I think 46t would be fine for dual sport but i won't know until I do it myself because the info I've gotten has been vague.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #56

Quote:
I'm surprised your Pantera 125 was sold as off-road only. I looked at some pictures on google and the Pantera isn't a like the Baja 125 I have. It's a typical enduro, GY, style bike with lights, spedo, etc. I guess they didn't get any EPA certifications.
Yeah Its weird but mine didn't have turn signal up front or back from factory and it didn't have mirrors. I got some universal turn stalks and some mirrors off a Kawasaki Z1 and put them on it trying to get ready for inspection. The headlight, brake light and tires are not dot and the turn signal connectors are only two wire feeding signal to the blinkers. I'm going to tap into the drl and add some diodes so my blinkers on front and rear act as drl indicators before inspection.

I apologize with all the posts I'm not trying to thread jack but I wanted to build this bike alongside someone else who is currently tinkering with it.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:24 PM   #57

I don't think you want the rear blinkers on as running lights. They're amber. Only red is allowed for taillights. Amber is fine for blinkers though.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #58

Quote:
I don't think you want the rear blinkers on as running lights. They're amber. Only red is allowed for taillights. Amber is fine for blinkers though.
Ok I didn't know that. So are amber turn signals fine for the back or do they need to be red if I don't hook them up to the Drl? If so I may just leave it alone. I'm not even sure if drl front markers are required in Georgia. If they are I'll have to either hook up several diodes or just straight wire new drl front markers on son handguards or something.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #59

Best to just google "Georgia Motorcycle Laws" or similar to see what the rules are. I doubt the front running lights are a requirement.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #60

So whenever you switched jets on your carb what setting did you have on everything. You screw the jets in all the way? Back out the air screw that's upside down or turn it in all the way? The screw on the bowl is adjusted to what setting?