Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2019, 08:25 AM   #1

Should it stay, or should it go?

After months of deliberation, I decided to add to my growing list of motorcycle genres and add an "adventure bike" to my collection. I went with the CSC RX-3 because, well, why not? It was cheap and gives me a taste of the ADV world without breaking the bank, AND because I like to thumb my nose at the mainstream. I'm kind of an underdog.
I went on my first 4-hour 'adventure ride' last week in a group of about 12, mostly KLRs, KTMs and other assorted 650's in the mountains of Arkansas. I kept up and went everywhere they went, just not as fast or nimble.
My dilemma is this: I need someone to talk me out of buying a bigger, more powerful machine.
I also ride a Harley Low Rider, I ride trials and I tinker with classic Yamaha street bikes, so it's not my main ride by any means, but I gotta say, I'm a bit jealous of the power those other machines had, and also amazed that my little chinese machine did that well and nothing broke.

HELP?
2016 RX3
2018 H-D FXLR
2018 Indian Scout
1986 Yamaha Radian
1986 Yamaha Fazer
1978 Yamaha XS650
1974 Yamaha TY250

Old 10-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #2

There’s the RX4 but remember you’ll end up supporting an atheist dictatorship etc

Old 10-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #3

Even with the limited power, speed and suspension of the RX3, I had a few off-road/Trail close calls, even took a few dumps. None of those would have been avoided with a more powerfull bike; and I'm pretty sure with a more powerfull bike I -would- have fell harder. That's all the argument I need to stay under 30hp while adventouring, at least until I become a better rider.

Juanro

Old 10-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #4

Keep what you have!
Larger motorcycle = faster motorcycle and heavier motorcycle.
When you have boo boo it happens faster, and hurts so much more. Not to mention most likely requiring assistance to remove heavy motorcycle that keeps you pinned on the ground!
There is a reason old guys (and hopefully smarter guys) are going back to smaller motorcycles.
And when you go faster the adventure ends sooner.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #5

if the bike is not serving you the way you need it to, sell it. you'll only be frustrated and pining for more with your friends. the one gap I have with CBs so far is the lack of power for what I need. I'm hoping they get some selection in the 400-500cc arena eventually. if they can do that at discount price points, they will gain even more market here.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #6

I rode my RX3 5,000 miles in a month, all throughout the southwest and across the lower half of the Continental Divide Trail.

I can honestly say that while I am grateful to have done so... I never actually cared for it that much. I came to the conclusion that there are plenty of things the bike can do, whether marginally or competently, but there's only one thing it does outstandingly: it's cheap to buy. That's it.

My other bikes excel in so many ways, and are genuinely actively fun to ride. The RX3 really wasn't, in comparison. It was never really comfortable, it was grossly underpowered, and it was only decent at its purpose -- off-road touring.

I threw money at it to resolve it's issues; I got a bigger screen and the Seat Concepts seat, and I changed the sprockets for more response. Those things helped, but not enough. It took a C- bike up to a C+. But it was cheap! I kept telling myself that. Yes, it was cheap. But I didn't find it all that enjoyable.

It ran, it got me where I was going, but it couldn't handle hills well, it couldn't hold freeway speeds well, it was painful on long trips, and it was twitchy at high speed, the brakes were weak, and the constant maintenance and 2,000 mile oil changes and near daily chain lubing and adjusting and cleaning... It was a burden.

But it was cheap! $2,500 with only 18 miles on it.

I tried to resolve the underpowered issue with a 298cc big bore kit, and made some disastrous mistakes that resulted in parting out the bike and getting rid of it. And truth be told, I'm not broken up about it. I am actually a tad relieved.

Yes, the RX3 is an outstanding bargain. It's an incredible amount of bike for the money (at least, for used money). The problem is, it's not that good of a bike on its own, and I have come to the conclusion that I would rather spend more to get a better bike that excels in all ways, rather than keep trying to convince myself to continue on with a mediocre bike just because it was a steal.

So take that for what it's worth. Some folks can afford better, some can't. For the money the RX3 is a lot of bike, and if that's all the money you've got, and you're willing to maintain it, then go for it. But other makers offer much more enjoyable rides, although at higher costs. If you can afford one of those, get it, because in the long run you're likely to be happier overall.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
There’s the RX4 but remember you’ll end up supporting an atheist dictatorship etc
LOL!

One out of two is good...

I haven't ridden the RX3 in a few months, but will ride this week. I mostly just use it as an around town bike. Summer in AZ makes it no fun to ride, but the other 8-9 months are great for riding. So it was unused when it was uncomfortably hot. At the price it goes for, it's certainly not worth selling unless you're sure you wouldn't ride it, or really prefer something else. I certainly can understand wanting something larger if I was doing real dirt riding. I can't talk you out of that, I agree.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacaquarie View Post
Keep what you have!
Larger motorcycle = faster motorcycle and heavier motorcycle.
When you have boo boo it happens faster, and hurts so much more. Not to mention most likely requiring assistance to remove heavy motorcycle that keeps you pinned on the ground!
There is a reason old guys (and hopefully smarter guys) are going back to smaller motorcycles.
And when you go faster the adventure ends sooner.
Don't forget, the boo boos would be more expensive to fix.
If your comment about old guys didn't fit me to a tee I might be offended .

Old 10-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
I haven't ridden the RX3 in a few months, but will ride this week. I mostly just use it as an around town bike. Summer in AZ makes it no fun to ride, but the other 8-9 months are great for riding.
There is a ride planned for the 9th of November from somewhere to Wickenburg and back (I haven't studied the route, but it is called the 'Wickenburg Ride' lol). Mostly members on dual-sports, but my guess is most of you RX owners don't 'hang out' in the other sections of Chinariders so wouldn't know about it.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=24455

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #10

I believe Tako is going to be here for that? We talked last night about him visiting the US for a ride/meetup, but it wasn't clear if that was it specifically. Anyway, I'm just a couple miles from the road to Wickenburg. I only have one RX3, but have another bike so we can both ride.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:50 PM   #11

I appreciate the comments...thing is, you're all right!
Yes, I'm 50 now and things get hurt easier, (ask me about my trials riding a few weeks ago).
The RX-3 IS a fantastic deal. I got mine with 184 miles on it (a 2016) and stole it. It does indeed do everything I want it to. My problem is that 'wanting' more power and suspension, and 'needing' more power and suspension is a fine line.
I rode with guys on KLR 650s, BMW F650's, KTMs and a DR650 last week. They did everything I did, but I feel like they did it way better.
I don't mind investing a little to fix the issues mentioned above, like the sprockets, tires and suspension mods, but in the end, it's still a CB and I have to explain it to other guys at every single stop. It gets old.
I should just have FAQ cards printed up! HAHA
I don't dislike the bike, I just have bike envy.

It's not you (Roxie), it's me.
2016 RX3
2018 H-D FXLR
2018 Indian Scout
1986 Yamaha Radian
1986 Yamaha Fazer
1978 Yamaha XS650
1974 Yamaha TY250

Old 10-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #12

I totally get it. The 300 kit helped but it's still not a 400. I'm 60 and have had a few physical and health issues so triple jumps or any kind of aggressive riding are out of the question, but I still love to do paved twisties and mild trails. That said, I'd still like a 400+ cc bike without having to spend a mint. I don't want the bulk of a KLR though.

Some of us have to face the fact that it doesn't matter if we buy the most expensive golf clubs....our game is still going to be mediocre. Would I love to have a KTM? Of course....but I'd never be able to ride it to it's limits, so why bother? That's why these China bikes work so well for my particular market.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 10-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #13

good golf analogy. my clubs are made for hacking!

Old 10-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #14

I wish I had a new sparkling KTM 790 adv... but I'd need a stool to get on it, and I'll be forever knowing that the bike under me is yawning and looking me over the shoulder thinking, rather loudly, "so? when we'll start RIDING for f*cksake!" Also, the previsible mishapp would be -way- expensiver to fix (Granted: if I had the kind of money needed to own a 790, petty change for repairs would be the least of my concerns).

Old 10-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez View Post
I believe Tako is going to be here for that? We talked last night about him visiting the US for a ride/meetup, but it wasn't clear if that was it specifically. Anyway, I'm just a couple miles from the road to Wickenburg. I only have one RX3, but have another bike so we can both ride.
Yes, so you already kind of knew about it. Hope to see you both there!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard