Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2019, 12:27 AM   #1

Ride to Wickenburg AZ, the back way

If there's interest, I'm thinking about doing this group 250 ride like I did before by myself on my Hawk 250 back in March 2017. The ride is about 70 miles one way and it starts at around the city of Surprise Arizona and heads west through Buckeye AZ and on up to Wickenburg AZ. Its a mixed trail of pavement, dirt roads and some trail riding in the desert. The route passes by the Chrysler proving grounds, The Ford proving grounds and the Toyota proving grounds. Your bike will need to be street legal as some of the ride is on blacktop. Once in Wickenburg there are places to relax for lunch and then ride back. There is also primitive camping in Wickenburg and a trail system in that area. There are also gas stations to fill up. Grocery stores and gift shops. It's a small town with a western flair of gift shops and such. There is also the vulture mine tours that occur on various dates and times. Almost everyone that goes to Wickenburg and on to Vegas travels on Hwy 74. A two lane highway. We will be on this road for a short 3-4 miles then get off of it if starting from the ohv staging area. At the staging area before the ride starts is an OHV park, see the link I added. It has free camping! The trails there are more challenging than the planned ride to Wickenburg. The OHV park will serve as a staging area and camping for those that would travel from another state for this ride or even local Az residents. This also gives you the ability to stay longer and check out the OHV trail system if you like. The trails there will be more challenging. However, to stay at this park an OHV tag from the Arizona state game and fish dept. is required to ride on that trail system. The cost for resident and non-resident is 25.00 per year. I'll provide the link for that. If there is no interest in staging and camping for those that can, then an alternate staging area will be picked out and no OHV permit tag would be needed. So, for this ride, I'm looking at the calendar for this Nov 9th. I'll add some previous ride pics on this post. If anyone has interest in this, send me a heads up on what you would do. 1. camp at the OHV or 2. just meet at a staging area non fee area. Lets get the Hawks, Brozz, TBR's, Sharks, and all other 250 riders on a trail ride.
for the staging area
https://www.blm.gov/visit/search-details/262775/1

For the OHV tag
https://www.azgfd.com/ohv/decals/

Vulture mine tours in Wickenburg
http://www.vultureminetours.com/

Town site Wickenburg
https://outwickenburgway.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2836.jpg (13.7 KB, 2143 views)
File Type: jpg wic.jpg (15.0 KB, 2166 views)
File Type: jpg toyota.jpg (19.2 KB, 2136 views)
File Type: jpg vulture mine outside of.jpg (19.6 KB, 2127 views)

Last edited by Musictrek; 09-04-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: url added

Old 09-04-2019, 12:57 AM   #2

Very cool. Wickenburg is a neat town and that sounds like a great ride. Chrysler also has proving grounds in Yucca, AZ I believe. I do a fair amount of travel in AZ so I will tune in again if the timing is right. I have a free night to burn at a PHX hotel so if it works out I'd probably use that and meet at the trail head.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
Very cool. Wickenburg is a neat town and that sounds like a great ride. Chrysler also has proving grounds in Yucca, AZ I believe. I do a fair amount of travel in AZ so I will tune in again if the timing is right. I have a free night to burn at a PHX hotel so if it works out I'd probably use that and meet at the trail head.
ok on that, the tail head is a good option. Let's see how many are interested in going.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #4

I can't make the second, but the 9th would be awesome! I'd be coming out of the Tolleson/Goodyear area, so getting up to Surprise would only take me 30-45 minutes or so. What can I do to help organize this shin-dig?

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Last edited by Emerikol; 09-04-2019 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Scheduling Conflict

Old 09-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #5

I will hopefully have my bike by then. If not, would like to use my Subaru to find you guys at the camping spot, or somewhere up that way, and meet you all in person. I doubt my 151cc TGB scooter is up for the task, lol.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-04-2019, 10:58 AM   #6

Fantastic idea! If we were closer we would go!!! My folks years ago lived in Yuma, and we have been to Wickenburg several times years ago, but never knew any or visited the history.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I can't make the second, but the 9th would be awesome! I'd be coming out of the Tolleson/Goodyear area, so getting up to Surprise would only take me 30-45 minutes or so. What can I do to help organize this shin-dig?
Ok let's set the date for the 9th of Nov, I'll update the invite. The staging area will depend on if we have riders wanting to camp at the ohv. I wont be camping as I can just ride up to meet up with other riders. If we get riders camping I will ride up the the park and lead them to a second staging area that you could be parked at. That would help.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedooit View Post
Fantastic idea! If we were closer we would go!!! My folks years ago lived in Yuma, and we have been to Wickenburg several times years ago, but never knew any or visited the history.
It's a great ride for a Hawk

Old 09-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I will hopefully have my bike by then. If not, would like to use my Subaru to find you guys at the camping spot, or somewhere up that way, and meet you all in person. I doubt my 151cc TGB scooter is up for the task, lol.
Ok, the Subaru should be able to make it all the way

Old 09-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musictrek View Post
Ok, the Subaru should be able to make it all the way
Sounds like a great ride, i'm about 6 hours away , but might be able to swing the 9th Nov ? I'll keep this on my radar and hope i can make it.

Old 09-04-2019, 02:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
Sounds like a great ride, i'm about 6 hours away , but might be able to swing the 9th Nov ? I'll keep this on my radar and hope i can make it.
Ok sound good. More info will develop closer to the ride date

Old 09-07-2019, 10:31 AM   #12

250 Ride to Wickenburg Nov 9th 2019

Facebook post now.

https://www.facebook.com/250-Ride-to...dmin_todo_tour

Old 09-16-2019, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
I might be up for this depending on when my TBR7 gets here. If my bike is road registered, do I need OHV tags as well?
Also is there a non-facebook link for this since I don't have a FB account?
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 09-17-2019, 12:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_in_az View Post
I might be up for this depending on when my TBR7 gets here. If my bike is road registered, do I need OHV tags as well?
Also is there a non-facebook link for this since I don't have a FB account?
The OHV tag is only needed if you decide to ride the trails at the OHV park. The facebook is just paralleled information to this group. all updates will occur here as well as FB.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #15

Quote:
The OHV tag is only needed if you decide to ride the trails at the OHV park. The facebook is just paralleled information to this group. all updates will occur here as well as FB.
my bike arrived yesterday, so I'm definitely in
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Tags
250, wickenburg