Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2023, 12:25 PM   #1

Help on making a decision

Hi Folks i am new to the forums and I trying to pick between a couple of bikes and i really could use some help deciding. I have been wanting the Hawk 250 DLX for a long while now and was just about ready to buy one and Happen to See Jerryhawk 250 with his amazing Lifan KPX 250 and now i want that Bike instead . I Like both bikes and know that either one will be a good bike, but my issue is seat height. I am 5ft 8 and the seat height on both Bikes has me a little worried. So I went to a dealership for Lifan yesterday here by where i live and they had a KPX 250 to look at and the seat is tall but like i couldn't deal with it . The question i have is there adjustments on the rear shock to soften the rear to gain a little height in the travel ?? or has anyone switched out the rear Shock to lower the seat height a little ??? i don't want to shave the seat and some of the other options to get it i only need maybe an inch or inch and a half . No i dont want to wear Platform shoes either LOL . I also sat on the Lifan xpect 200 with he lower seat height but i just like the KPX better . Any help would be Awesome
Thanks !

Old 04-06-2023, 12:53 PM   #2

Are you trying to swing a leg over from standing on the ground or are you standing on the foot peg and swinging your leg over like with a horse with your foot in the stirrups first? I stopped worrying about bike height when I adopted the latter method. Left foot on the peg, reach over with right hand and grasp the front brake holding it in the engaged position. Lifting up with left leg transferring weight on to the bikes stand, leaning over the seat slightly while swinging the right leg over. Then as your weight fully transfers to the suspension it sags down to the ground. Once you get the technique down it’s very easy getting on. Then you can worry about what’s more important, once on the bike does it compress the shocks enough such that you can flat foot it enough to control the bike while stationary. That’s the only thing I would worry about working on reducing the suspension setup for.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 04-06-2023, 01:08 PM   #3

yeah i was foot on the ground and swung my leg over. But once i was on the bike full weight i was up on my toes a little . Not that it was tippy toes, just not too flat footed .My first Street bike was kinda like this i had an 1982 Honda Ft 500 Ascot and it was a taller bike too , but i never had an issue. I am really impressed with the KPX and plan on ordering it soon just that Dang Expect 200 got me thinking about the seat height since is is 32.5inches vs 35 for the KPX

Old 04-06-2023, 01:14 PM   #4

You can back off on the rear spring to get more sag. Also the rear spring does settle in some. When i first got the KPX I couldn't flat foot it. Now I can. I also mount it cowboy style, lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-06-2023, 04:53 PM   #5

I do this on the Templars as well. Seat height on them is about 37" (both 5 speed and 6 speed)!

A deliberated left step up/balance on the left peg, then swing over the seat with the right leg. It takes a bit of practice since the kickstand will push it to the right as your weight settles on. Easy once you get used to it.

Old 04-06-2023, 06:56 PM   #6

my brozz wore in as Jhawk described, don't know if it is an option with the bike your looking at but on the brozz I was able to slide the triple tree down on the forks to lower the front end.
I understand your concern, I am 5'6 and chose the brozz because of the seat height. By the way, I bought a set of shorter shocks to lower the rear but never put them on, by the time they arrived I was use to the bike and didn't need them, again, I am 5'6"
Hope it goes well for you, wish there were dealers near me so I could look before I buy.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:08 PM   #7

One thing i learned with the Templar fairly quick is, Do Not mount while the kickstand is down, almost dumped it over the first couple times i did that

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 04-06-2023, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafett123 View Post
No i dont want to wear Platform shoes either LOL .
Alternative option. Have your legs lengthened 2 inches. I've heard it's a new growing trend, so you would be doing the "in" thing. Just ignore the agonizing pain and need to walk assisted during the whole months long process and you are good to go!

In all seriousness though, there are always options, especially if you just want to drop it an inch or so.

I lack first hand knowledge on the KPX as I just ride around my poverty spec basic bitch Hawk. I haven't had the pleasure of taking a KPX apart completely and going through all of the specs and measures to figure out the chassis and what may be needed to raise or lower it. I am also assuming that those who do own one have also had very little need to dig into the bike so far since the Lifan is built somewhat decently when compared to the Poverty 250, so less hands on is needed in the first place.

Me, I would just work on stretching and techniques to mount the bike I really want, because it's way less work to just use what have to work with.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-07-2023, 09:10 AM   #9

i think you are all making too much fuss over seat height...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sHm_wizutuA

Old 04-07-2023, 10:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Are you trying to swing a leg over from standing on the ground or are you standing on the foot peg and swinging your leg over like with a horse with your foot in the stirrups first? I stopped worrying about bike height when I adopted the latter method. Left foot on the peg, reach over with right hand and grasp the front brake holding it in the engaged position. Lifting up with left leg transferring weight on to the bikes stand, leaning over the seat slightly while swinging the right leg over. Then as your weight fully transfers to the suspension it sags down to the ground. Once you get the technique down it’s very easy getting on. Then you can worry about what’s more important, once on the bike does it compress the shocks enough such that you can flat foot it enough to control the bike while stationary. That’s the only thing I would worry about working on reducing the suspension setup for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobafett123 View Post
yeah i was foot on the ground and swung my leg over. But once i was on the bike full weight i was up on my toes a little . Not that it was tippy toes, just not too flat footed .My first Street bike was kinda like this i had an 1982 Honda Ft 500 Ascot and it was a taller bike too , but i never had an issue. I am really impressed with the KPX and plan on ordering it soon just that Dang Expect 200 got me thinking about the seat height since is is 32.5inches vs 35 for the KPX

I use the peg up method myself.. I'm not short, but I do only have a 29" inseam. It works amazing.

Look, if Joclyn Snow at 5ft flat can manipulate and ride the 600lb GS1200/1250 like a BOSS, I think us wee normal people can handle the Hawk 250 and similar.

Boba- once you're on the bike but need to put a foot down, slide off to the left, straddle your right leg on the seat and you should be able to put the left foot flat on the ground while keep the right foot on the rear brake.

Then to take off you just scootch up and back on.

Old 04-07-2023, 12:00 PM   #11

https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...4&postcount=48

I am not familiar with the KPX, but would this work?

Old 04-08-2023, 10:24 AM   #12

Both my bikes have the 32" height. I ride mostly off road and mounting with the peg up method doesn't work after you've gone down in sand or brush. I was riding a buddy's Kawasaki 250 off road, and I simply could not remount after dropping it. I ended up pushing it quite a distance to find some rocky terrain where I could.

I learned that I could start off beside the bike with my foot on the peg and swing up after motoring for a bit, but that's difficult for my 70 yoa body.

2016 Magician 250

Old 04-08-2023, 06:44 PM   #13

Never used a hockey puck?

- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 04-09-2023, 09:39 AM   #14

This was awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenslow View Post
i think you are all making too much fuss over seat height...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sHm_wizutuA
This guy has gotten really good at dealing this a seat height issue!

Old 04-10-2023, 07:49 AM   #15

Which is the better bike to Buy?

Taking the advice from you guys on not letting the seat height worry me now from my last post, Which is the better of the two bikes to buy ? The Lifan KPX 250 or the Hawk DLX 250 ? Like both equally and I have always wanted the Hawk since I first saw the original one , but is the Lifan KPX worth spending the extra $1000 bucks on it ?