Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2017, 08:02 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmike View Post
Thx for info. Coke thing doesn't bother me one bit . Ok I did a compression test first. Held solid at 140psi. Did the leak down test to 70-80 psi and held steady with no sound of air leaks. So would that be a worn or stuck oil ring? Could it be the valve seals? Mmo/b12 is just a injection cleaner? What about some sea foam down in sparkplug hole or put some in the crank case? Thx
Good compression, good leak-down results. Looks like the oil control ring is gummed/plugged up. It is not the valve seals, I don't think. I've never seen a valve guide pass that much oil. And only on the intake side does oil get in the combustion chamber. On the exhaust side, gas pressure blows the oil out and into the exhaust system. But your exhaust sysatem is clean as a hound's tooth, so I think the exhaust valve is ok...ARH

Old 10-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Good compression, good leak-down results. Looks like the oil control ring is gummed/plugged up. It is not the valve seals, I don't think. I've never seen a valve guide pass that much oil. And only on the intake side does oil get in the combustion chamber. On the exhaust side, gas pressure blows the oil out and into the exhaust system. But your exhaust sysatem is clean as a hound's tooth, so I think the exhaust valve is ok...ARH
Ok so put some cleaner down the sparkplug hole. What cleaner/brand will work the fastest? Thx

Old 10-17-2017, 11:32 PM   #78

Quote:
ARH does NOT need a health and welfare visit. Warm Coca-Cola has been used for stuck rings for at least 60 years. If it won't free the rings up, it's because a ring is broken, or trapped by a partial siezure. Coca-Cola has a small amount of phospheric acid in it. That is probably why it works...ARH
Just kidding, I'm noting all these tricks of the trade. If 20% of them stick I will be happy. Hey btw your hawk talk tread is almost at 1000 posts. I think it only fitting that you make that post. how about a pic of you on one of your bikes?

Old 10-18-2017, 12:24 AM   #79

Quote:
For what its worth, I have seen an engine smoke very badly from what was essentially missing stem seals. It doesnt take much oil in the cylinder to make a decent amount of smoke. Especially an enging with strong intake vacuum pulses.

I would try the coke/solvent method and give that a shot first though. Tey to rule out everything else before it requires tearing into the motor.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #80

Megadan summed up my thoughts exactly, although he articulated them better.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-18-2017, 11:00 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
For what its worth, I have seen an engine smoke very badly from what was essentially missing stem seals. It doesnt take much oil in the cylinder to make a decent amount of smoke. Especially an enging with strong intake vacuum pulses.

I would try the coke/solvent method and give that a shot first though. Tey to rule out everything else before it requires tearing into the motor.
Yes I quite agree. But he's getting so much smoke, "fogging up the back yard" is why I think it is other than the intake valve seal. Normally, intake valve oil burning is the worst right after coming off the over run, when you roll the throttle back on, then it tapers off to annoying...ARH

Old 10-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #82

When i start it up and after about 2 mins at idle it starts to smoke. If i rev it to mid throttle clouds of smoke comes out. Let it back down to idle and smoke in not as bad. Rev it up again alot of smoke comes out. Riding it aroumd back yard doesnt smoke as bad. Ride it back in garage and rev it smokes pretty good again. Seems to smoke the worse when i let it idle the rev the gas. I havent riden it more then 10 mins at a time due to limited space. You can see in my pics the exhaust valve is pretty caked with burnt oil and some oil sludge on the outside of the cylinder due to exhaust leak. Gonna put a little sea foam in sparkplug hole and let it sit. Gonna add a little to oil and fuel to see what happens. Aint gonna hurt it any worse

Old 10-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #83

I agree with Megadan. Everything else looks good. I had a Honda 200x that the exhaust valve stem seal was going bad. Smoked like crazy when it set for a while or over night. It would smoke for about 2-3 minutes and then would clear up. Piston and plug would be clean as can be. It really didn't consume oil and had me puzzled with all the smoke. I pulled the header pipe off after it set overnight and sure enough that were the oil had leaked. Only difference was it would stop leaking after it warmed up. I never did change it. It ran fine for years.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I agree with Megadan. Everything else looks good. I had a Honda 200x that the exhaust valve stem seal was going bad. Smoked like crazy when it set for a while or over night. It would smoke for about 2-3 minutes and then would clear up. Piston and plug would be clean as can be. It really didn't consume oil and had me puzzled with all the smoke. I pulled the header pipe off after it set overnight and sure enough that were the oil had leaked. Only difference was it would stop leaking after it warmed up. I never did change it. It ran fine for years.
Sounds like whats going on with mine. Ill try the soaking thing then i will replace valve seals. Can someone plz post a link to the right seals i need and preferably where i can order within the U.S. Can i change the seal by pressurizing the cylinder like on a car? Thx

Old 10-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #85

You can try on of the local MC shops. Bring the old one and they could match it up. It's a shot in the dark but without exact measurement to check it this might work. http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/TT250-...p/zt39-102.htm Take some measurements and give them a call or maybe one of the members on here can take a measurement. You can also search on Ebay and find them.
You can pressurize the cylinder or what I have done is use a piece of small diameter rope in spark plug hole and let I coil up on top the piston then rotate the engine till it puts pressure on the valves to hold in place.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #86

Quote:
Sounds like whats going on with mine. Ill try the soaking thing then i will replace valve seals. Can someone plz post a link to the right seals i need and preferably where i can order within the U.S. Can i change the seal by pressurizing the cylinder like on a car? Thx
Yes, I was going to suggest that. I took an old spark plug, knocked out the ceramic and cut off the ground arm, siver soldered a piece of 1/8th inch gas pipe, NOT GALVANIZED PIPE, into the remains of the spark plug, screwed a male air chuck on the other end, ran the compressor 'til it read over 100 lbs. Then I took out the collets, cap and springs, and changed the valve stem seal. You don't use galvanized pipe because of poisonous fumes when heated....ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 10-18-2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: miss spell

Old 10-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #87

Quote:
Yes, I was going to suggest that. I took an old spark plug, knocked out the ceramic and cut off the ground arm, siver soldered a piece of 1/8th inch gas pipe, NOT GALVANIZED PIPE, into the remains of the spark plug, screwed a male air chuck on the other end, ran the compressor 'til it read over 100 lbs. Then I took out the collets, cap and springs, and changed the valve stem seal. You don't use galvanized pipe because of poisonous fumes when heated....ARH
Good idea. Cant i just hookup the leak down tool and pressurize it that way

Old 10-18-2017, 08:45 PM   #88

Ok on lunch I put some sea foam in the spark plug hole at tdc. Let it soak for 4 hours. Don't know if it evaporated within those 4 hours but some was def gone. Turn motor over to rid any left. Fired it up and now have a pretty good rattle sound. It had a slight rattle before I did all this but now the rattle is much louder. Sounds like valve chatter to me but not sure. Readjusted valves once fully cool and they were a little off. Slightly tight. Compression still 140psi. Fired it up again and still smokes and chatter is still there. A lot more noticeable at just above idle. If I end up rebuilding the top end can I make it a 250(230)? Direct Bolton?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:16 PM   #89

Quote:
Ok on lunch I put some sea foam in the spark plug hole at tdc. Let it soak for 4 hours. Don't know if it evaporated within those 4 hours but some was def gone. Turn motor over to rid any left. Fired it up and now have a pretty good rattle sound. It had a slight rattle before I did all this but now the rattle is much louder. Sounds like valve chatter to me but not sure. Readjusted valves once fully cool and they were a little off. Slightly tight. Compression still 140psi. Fired it up again and still smokes and chatter is still there. A lot more noticeable at just above idle. If I end up rebuilding the top end can I make it a 250(230)? Direct Bolton?
Har-Hoo, the plot thickens. A. Broken. Piston. ?...ARH

Old 10-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #90

Did you check the oil if the Seafoam leaked down into the base? Oil may be thinned out from the Seafoam. From they way it sounds you may want to do a teardown before any more damage is done if there is some kind of mechanical issue.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel