Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2017, 02:07 AM   #1

Quick detach panniers?

Hello guys this is my first post on the forum. I am currently very interested in buying an Rx-3 but was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to convert the panniers to quick detach or knows where to buy quick detach panniers for this bike? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #2

Happy-trails could set you up...they have quick release knob set ups.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 AM   #3

Corry, I am sure you know this, but many RX3 owners replace the stock top box with a larger quick release box that can hold a helmet. JC Whitney Garage Pro or similar Givi knock-offs on Amazon are among the most cost effective options. They usually come with a mounting plate that can be attached to the stock RX3 rack with minor drilling.

As far as the side cases are concerned, even if you modified them to be quick release, the stock "crash bar" on the front of the case mounts would still extend out beyond the edge of the case. A quick release set up would allow you to take the cases with you, but would not make the bike narrower, if that is what you are interested in.

Finally, the side cases in the Tourfellas aluminum three piece set up that CSC sells are detachable with hand bolts on the inside of the panniers, but they are not quick release and I presume the cases have to be empty to use the hand bolts. Again, you probably know all this.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
...Again, you probably know all this.

I, didn't.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #5

Why not just detach the stock luggage and use something like the Mosko Moto reckless system, the dry bags come out really easy. Unless you're looking for security in which case I'd go for something with pelican cases as most of these plastic/aluminum boxes come open with a good kick or a screwdriver.

http://mosko-moto.myshopify.com/coll...s/reckless-80l

http://cariboucases.com/

Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 PM   #6

Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies everybody. My main desire for the quick release is the ability to take a case off the bike and carry it into work with me, narrowing the bike isn't really a big concern for me. I may just get a detachable top box tip replace the stock one. Again thanks for the replies.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Corry, I am sure you know this, but many RX3 owners replace the stock top box with a larger quick release box that can hold a helmet. JC Whitney Garage Pro or similar Givi knock-offs on Amazon are among the most cost effective options. They usually come with a mounting plate that can be attached to the stock RX3 rack with minor drilling.

As far as the side cases are concerned, even if you modified them to be quick release, the stock "crash bar" on the front of the case mounts would still extend out beyond the edge of the case. A quick release set up would allow you to take the cases with you, but would not make the bike narrower, if that is what you are interested in.

Finally, the side cases in the Tourfellas aluminum three piece set up that CSC sells are detachable with hand bolts on the inside of the panniers, but they are not quick release and I presume the cases have to be empty to use the hand bolts. Again, you probably know all this.
JCW quite selling the Garage Pro boxes over a year ago. I bought the last four they had. Three are on my CB500X. The large one I use as my trunk and two mediums I use as side cases. They work well. So well that it's hard to find them on the used market. They can be found on Aliexpress and Alibaba but they are way more expensive than when JC whitney sold them. So much so that Kappa/Givi become affordable.

For those that don't know, Kappa is like a private label for Givi. Kappa are the exact same company and made in the exact same places as Givi.

My JCW trunk set up on my 2014 Honda CB500X.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #8

I knew JCW was out of the larger top case but I thought they would eventually restock it. As Ben reports, now it looks as if they are not carrying any GP case. I wonder if Givi got after them for using an identical mount system. I'll treat my own Garage Pro with a little more respect!

Old 01-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #9

Quote:
I knew JCW was out of the larger top case but I thought they would eventually restock it. As Ben reports, now it looks as if they are not carrying any GP case. I wonder if Givi got after them for using an identical mount system. I'll treat my own Garage Pro with a little more respect!
I doubt Givi got to them. They're still available through offshore sellers. It seems that JCW is selling down their motorcycle stocks. I have a feeling they're going to try and specialize in certain areas of automotive parts and accessories.