Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #1

Slowly losing coolant from reserve tank

My reserve coolant has been inching away over the past 2000 miles. I added a little and now its creeped back down again. When doing my valve check today I found the hose clamp that attached to the top of the reserve to be a little loose, so I reattached it and hope that was the source. But I just don't see how it would lose from that. The bike hasn't been on its side at all, and if half full it can't really vibrate or slosh out.

Otherwise I have 2 suspicions- one that maybe I didn't get everything tightened up well after my 2 year coolant change a couple thousand miles ago. But I don't see any leaking. The other is a bit of a stretch, but a combination of high temperatures and high altitude might be taking a toll on the coolant? But the heat range has stayed normal as I refilled the reserve tank when it got low, so all is safe for now.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #2

When you changed the coolant did you burp any and all air bubbles trapped in the system?

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:09 PM   #3

I certainly tried to per the tutorial, but don't know how successful it was. Would the fluid level still be dropping after 2k miles though?
I added a little the first ride after changing. Then the reserve went empty after 1k miles so I refilled and now it's near empty again.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
When you changed the coolant did you burp any and all air bubbles trapped in the system?
Az...Can the coolant get around any gaskets and contaminate the oil, or are they completely separate chambers? Increasing oil level through coolant loss?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #5

like any water cooled engine, the Zong coolant can migrate into the oil. That is most likely a head gasket issue. I'd look for coolant in the oil. An oil sample sent to Blackstone will tell if there is even a tiny amount of coolant in the oil. It is much more likely that there is a small leak at one of the hoses. I have noticed that my coolant tank seems to need a refill. The oil samples have not shown any coolant in the oil so I need to figure out where I have a leak. This confirms the sweet smell I got from the engine on my last long ride. It's just a matter of figuring out where I have the leak. It must be really tiny!

Peter Y.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #6

Have you checked the radiators for leaks along any of the seams? I had a car once that would lose coolant but only when it was completely warmed up. It took me a while until I discovered a seam that was leaking when hot but it would close up after the rad cooled down. It never left any evidence on the ground or any telltale marks, it was just losing coolant. I guess the radiator leak gremlin was tired of messing with me so he finally allowed me to see where it was leaking.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:40 PM   #7

Me too

When I bought my bike the expansion tank needed a top up, just over 2000 km later it was the same, a top up of about 1/2 a cup of coolant.

Everything else is spot on, there has been no signs of the engine running hot or any signs of water in the oil which is still a transparent golden colour.

I've decided to keep an eye on it and not stress, probably not scientific but I can't see anything broken so I'm not fixing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC View Post
I certainly tried to per the tutorial, but don't know how successful it was. Would the fluid level still be dropping after 2k miles though?
I added a little the first ride after changing. Then the reserve went empty after 1k miles so I refilled and now it's near empty again.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:22 AM   #8

Its a little too soon to know for sure, but I think tightening the hose/clamp at the top of the reserve has stopped it. I didn't think that would be the cause because I can't see any signs of leakage from there, and I don't think there is enough air exposure to evaporate it, at least not at that pace. Will update in a week or so.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #9

i have topped my tank off three or four times seems to have stabilized now

Old 07-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #10

The clamps on these are horrible. I've had a couple small weeps after just moving a couple clamp heads around the hose a little to aid access to other things and couldn't get them to quit oozing, once I cracked that seal. I have changed the clamps to a better quality clamp every time this has happened but as others have said here, it takes a while to get it to stabilize.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #11

Agreed, those clamps are a PITA! It took about 30 tries of grabbing and tugging with a pair of pliers, but I finally got it to seat perfectly. And 3000 miles later the fluid level hasn't changed.