Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt

Old 11-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #16

Great picture with her and the bike all muddy.

/

Old 11-25-2015, 06:38 PM   #17

I am pretty dumb so that wont be a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Please dumb that down for me. I've installed 12 tooth sprockets on China bikes in the past.
Yeah I am pretty dumb so it wont be hard for me to show that. Here is the picture. The stock chain link is too long to make the curvature of the 12 tooth sprocket. I finally dug out the digital calipers to take some measurements and call the sprocket shop to order the correct one. At 10 dollars a pop, I am ok making a mistake on the quick order. Now that I have the bars and front suspension done, its time to put the rear shock on and find a correct 12t.

Flying into tomorrow night for a belated Turkey day, hope everyone here has a nice time with some family.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sprocket.jpg (74.6 KB, 607 views)
File Type: jpg new rear shock.jpg (17.0 KB, 533 views)

Old 11-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #18

530 chain duh

Ok, looking at the picture i just posted I see I have a 530 chain. My suspicions proved true.

Every other measurement was good. Now I can source one and get it on for some fun!

Old 11-26-2015, 01:23 AM   #19

Yep, I can see that it would be difficult to make a 530 chain wrap around a 428 sprocket.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-26-2015, 10:34 AM   #20

Glad parts are cheap!

Anyone else notice in the picture that the rear shock does NOT have a forked tab on one end? Yep, another bad purchase. Thank god this stuff is super cheap. Located and ordered a rear adjustable Fork tabbed on one end shock...along with a proper sprocket. Should be here by the time I get back from Turkey Holiday and then I can ride the following weekend.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #21

Update on changes to Apollo 250cc

Sprocket came in Thursday, slapped it on Friday night by hand, took less than 5 minutes. Rolled it into the trailer and went riding Saturday (after I yanked the rear tire back and adjusted the cheap chain tensioners). Spent the day on the KTM for the most part and Lauri spent the day on her quad, but we each took the Apollo out for a ride to feel what the upgrades were like. Let me just say, the 12T is an outstanding difference. Lots of low end grunt and third gear trail riding is perfect for the most part. The handle bars feel SO much better and you can tell the flex helps reduce fatigue and the bike feels snappier. I have yet to take it over any substantial jump to see if the front shocks are going to bottom out, but I will the next time I go out riding.

It is Noticeably heavier than the KTM which will require more work to shift weight around in the trees but I am excited to spend a little more time on the bike and really put it through some paces. I am interested in getting a better rear shock and front shocks, but honestly the way it sits now seems perfect for some medium aggressive trail riding. I wonder if I can get better rims and tires for it to lighten up the rotational mass. Once I wear the rear out, I will look into it. Fun bike so far!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12T sprocket.jpg (102.9 KB, 584 views)

Old 01-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #22

Suspension questions

Just wondering if anyone has taken Honda front forks and subbed them onto the Apollo 250? I have the 2015 frame, not sure that means anything, but I was thinking of picking up some 2004 CR250 front forks and seeing if it would match the caliper mounting holes for the brake?

Anyone have any experience here? Also same for the rear, has anyone subbed a rear adjustable shock in the back? I would love to get riders sag and some adjustability on the bike. Any brand, any suggestions?

Thank you for any input.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:35 AM   #23

Experiment part one

Well I made a purchase to replace the rear of the bike. I want to be able to set rear sag, and basically adjust to my riding style. This should come in next week, I targeted the entire linkage set up not really knowing what to expect to find when I start putting it together. A front fork replacement is next, but I am worried that the front caliper wont line up. Who knows? One step at a time. Flying blind, but I do not mind. Between this, my retro 1968 Magnavox cabinet stereo console remod and my 3.5 year old daughter....I stay busy enough lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda suspension purchase.jpg (88.2 KB, 543 views)

Old 01-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #24

What is that shock and link designed for?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #25

2001 honda 250. good question that I should have provided in the original description. I expect that there may be grinding involved...

Old 04-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #26

pictures of rear suspension

Added the rear shock a while ago, posting pics now. Front suspension next and carburetor then done.

It sits MUCH higher in the rear and I have yet to adjust for riders sag, but it is close as it stands now. Barely clears the exhaust pipe, but after welding the tabs on for the top side of the suspension it fit in nicely. I am excited to get out and ride this on the trails again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160306_130757.jpg (97.0 KB, 557 views)
File Type: jpg 20160312_191604.jpg (95.1 KB, 539 views)
File Type: jpg 20160312_191629.jpg (97.1 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg 20160314_164301.jpg (99.0 KB, 531 views)