Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2015, 01:54 AM   #1

Brad's Two-Stroke Baotian

Some members who've been around for awhile may remember my buddy, Brad. He originally bought a Gio electric scooter, and we assembled it together. Read about that here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=7143

He sold that scooter the following year, and bought our Pastor's scooter, which I talked about here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=9466

A kind lady at Church has decided to give up riding, so she has generously donated her Baotian Lotus two-stroke 50cc scooter to Brad. It has been sitting for awhile, so I picked it up today, and delivered it to forum member AtomicWedgie, who kindly agreed to prep it for Brad. I have too many projects on the go right now.

Here it is, right after we unloaded it tonight:

Name:  Lotus.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  96.9 KB

It's in nice shape, and it only has around 2500km on it. It has a leak at the oil tank and the battery is dead, but that's about all we spotted right away. The exhaust system mimics a high-flow style, but we'll see how it actually performs.

Name:  Muffler.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  96.5 KB

AtomicWedgie texted me later tonight, and said he got the scooter to fire up. He ran it around the block, but it died on him. Time to clean the carb.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

I had an almost identical looking 125cc version with the GY6 engine - but it was guttless. The choice was to spend a lot on it with up-market clutch, rollers, piston & barrel etc. or sell it. I bought it as an import, in a packing case. I ran it for 6 months and then sold it for almost what I paid for it, so that was good. I only used it to go to and from the train station. The buyer got a good deal and everyone was happy. It did ride nicely, just nothing (much) happened when you twisted the throttle.
Velocettes (various)
Piaggio's / Honda's / Yamaha's
Raptor . . . . the List Goes On . . . .

Old 05-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #3

Our Pastor had a 50cc GY6 scooter, and we took that from a top speed of 45km/h to over 70km/h (the speedometer was pegged, so no idea, really). We did that with a simple valve adjustment, a pod filter, a free-breathing muffler and new carb jets. Quite a remarkable difference for a 50cc four stroke.

The 125 would have likely responded in a similar fashion, but it takes time and effort.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #4

Yep, at the time, I was short on time and effort - but I have recently decided to become self-employed and provide consultancy services after 45 years sitting at a desk - so I have some "me" time . . .

This link may be useful to you

BAOTIAN MANUALS

Jeff
Velocettes (various)
Piaggio's / Honda's / Yamaha's
Raptor . . . . the List Goes On . . . .

Old 05-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #5

Thanks for the links!

Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #6

Does Brad still have the pastor's scooter?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #7

Not sure. I'll ask him when I deliver the Baotian.