Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Valve Check #6

You all are probably tired of reading about my valve checks.

I know I'm tired of doing them.

The bright side was that both the intake and exhaust valve clearances were still at .003" after 2,000 miles.......

The angled feeler gauge helps to make the job marginally less aggravating.

I use the same one on the DR650

Available from CSC:

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/FEELER...ps57-80526.htm

As an aside....you know that the valve covers can be installed upside down.

When it's late and you're tired, this can happen:

How do you know?

The skidplate is covered with oil, along with various other parts of the engine:

jb

Last edited by jbfla; 09-14-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #2

Good tip jbfla, but sorry that happened to you. My next valve check, I'll be marking mine too, just to be sure.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 09-14-2016, 06:54 AM   #3

your not alone i did the same thing i marked in. and ex. but installed ex. upside down now have it all marked

Old 09-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #4

I had to edit the original post because I had mistakenly posted that the valve clearances were set at .03 inch.....

Corrected it to read .003 in. (three thousandths of an inch)

As I had to remove the spark plug anyway, I decided to replace it with an NGK iridium spark plug.

jb

Old 09-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
As I had to remove the spark plug anyway, I decided to replace it with an NGK iridium spark plug
About time you got an Iridium plug in that beast

Always one of my first "upgrades" is getting rid of those nasty older than dirt Copper Plugs

Have you noticed any changes in idle/performance/mpg? Let me know, as I always like to hear peoples results and what they "notice"

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
About time you got an Iridium plug in that beast

Always one of my first "upgrades" is getting rid of those nasty older than dirt Copper Plugs

Have you noticed any changes in idle/performance/mpg? Let me know, as I always like to hear peoples results and what they "notice"
I really haven't noticed any changes in performance with the iridium plug.

As I have stated before, the engine of my RX3 has run great from the day of delivery. It starts on the first push of the starter button, and purrs throughout the rpm range.

Even when I had the problem with the cam, you wouldn't know it by the way the engine ran.

jb

Old 10-02-2016, 02:47 AM   #7

Help? I'm trying to do my valve check. But it's kicking my ass!! I'm at the point where I'm turning the motor to tdc I'll check it. I loosened the nut made the adjustments then I go to turn it again a few times then they are too tight! So I do it all over again then to loose! First timer doing this!!! I'm using the CSC feeler gauge.03 angle one.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaKin BaKon View Post
Help? I'm trying to do my valve check. But it's kicking my ass!! I'm at the point where I'm turning the motor to tdc I'll check it. I loosened the nut made the adjustments then I go to turn it again a few times then they are too tight! So I do it all over again then to loose! First timer doing this!!! I'm using the CSC feeler gauge.03 angle one.
I had issues initially when I turned to TDC on the crankshaft. Instead, you can use the timing chain port on the head and that will be easier. Take a look at posts 44 and 45 on this thread:

Valve Adjustment Notes

What I did to make things easier for myself was to just rotate the crankshaft until I knew the valves (whether intake or exhaust) were on the base circle of the cam. I knew this because I could use my hand to wiggle the rocker freely (no load.) Once I was on base circle of the cam, I adjusted the rockers. Did this separately for the intake and exhaust valve rockers. Hope that helps!

Old 10-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #9

MaKin, make sure you are on the correct TDC. The easy way is to observe the markings on the cam sprockets. When you can see both markings you are spot on. It's still a PITA to get the exhaust valves set. You have my sympathy!

Old 10-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #10

Thanks, will try again today. Is there a video on this? It would really help if I could see it done. Reading it confuses me more.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

Have not seen a video per se...the CSC tutorial is here:
http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Articles.asp?ID=267

I believe Spud posted a photo of the cam index marks and how to find them. There are two allen head plugs at the end of the cams, high on the head, on the left side. Take the plugs out and slowly rotate the engine using an allen key in the crank. Don't try to use a socket wrench to turn the crank, the valve pressure on the cam will cause the crank to spin past the marks you want to see. As I recall, there is a L and a R. When both are visible you are golden. Double check by using a soda straw in the spark plug hole. Another thought, when you get frustrated...QUIT for the day. The first time adjusting the valves it's a bitch, after that not nearly so bad because you know some tricks and what to expect.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #12

there is a photo under the thread "valve adj. notes" page #3

Old 10-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #13

Thanks again! That was much easier. The front ones were on point I adjusted the rear set. What should I listen or feel for when I turn it the bike on? If they are a bit loose I'm I still good? I'm a newbie to this.

Old 10-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #14

Loose is always better than tight. Old mechanics would say "A tappy valve is a happy valve". You probably won't hear much of anything since this is a water cooled engine and the valves are pretty small. My Stelvio....a whole different situation. You can hear my happy valves quite clearly.