Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 AM   #1

1986 GMC Jimmy

As i mentioned in my '91 GMC Sierra thread last night i traded it off for an '86 Jimmy. The friend i traded it off to needed a more reliable daily driver to get to and from work. And since i have my Jeep i could better handle dealing with a project. The Jimmy itself will be delivered tomorrow after he gets a chance to put some fuel in it and put a temp plate on which will allow him to pick up the Sierra at the same time.

Anyways onto the specs of this rig.

305 High Output
TH700R4 4 speed auto trans
NP208 Transfer case
10bolt front and rear axles.

What it needs to be daily driverable:

New fuel tank
proper exhaust
Rear window in tailgate replaced
New windshield

Obviously something this old will need some body work this rig is no exception as it will need the rockers replaced along with some work on the quarter panels. But it gives me something i can play with on heavier trails and not beat up my Jeep.

And since everyone loves pics..

'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 02-28-2018, 10:36 AM   #2

What’s with the white stuff?

Former coworker had one at the old job. Many shenanigans prevailed with it.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 02-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
What’s with the white stuff?

Former coworker had one at the old job. Many shenanigans prevailed with it.

Well it sure is not white cheddar sadly lol, And it could go away anytime as i would like to get back out on two wheels...

Oh i bet, This is my second K5 the first one was much larger. As in rolling on 8" suspension lift and running 46" Boggers larger lol. This one is going to stay much tamer. Most likely will be going with a Rough Country 2" suspension lift and running 33" tires at most. And even the tire upgrade is a big if. The 2" will happen either way.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 02-28-2018, 10:49 PM   #4

Now that i have had some time to think about ideas over the day i have a plan of attack with this...

Cut off remaining rust on the rockers and replace the rockers with square or rectangular tubing with a nerf bar added to it as a step for the wife.

Box in the frame horns at the front to repair the damage and weld in a used receiver hitch as a new front cross member along with a simple tube bumper/pre runner style stinger bar.

Tube bumper or factory sport rear bumper on the rear to replace the step bumper, reuse said step bumper on my '84.

Most likely keep the 31" tires till they wear out then replace with 33"s
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 10-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #5

Now that i have the YJ i have had some time to think about mods with this as well. Some changes in the form of the fact i plan on properly restoring the body instead of the rock slider style rockers. It will cost more but finding clean K5s anymore is becoming a thing of the past if you want a reasonable price. So i might as well put the money into this one.

I have gotten ahold of a new window for the tailgate. However it does come in another gate but said gate is more of a shipping container for it then anything since it is in worse shape then the original. So the plan here is to keep the puckboard on for now till i can deal with the dent in the bottom of the original gate. I suspect that it may interfere with the operation of the window mechanism.

Planned work list for this truck:

Repair rusted sheet metal
5x2" Rectangular tubing bumpers with hidden winch in front end. I will be removing the twisted up filler panel under the grille to clear the winch which avoids a body lift.

Replace the beaten up tube grille with a stock GMC grille that i got with some spare parts for the '84 C10 awhile ago. If needed i will trim the bottom of the grille for the winch as well.

Mounting the solenoids for the winch under the hood.

Dual battery upgrade either via an aftermarket tray on right side or using a factory left side tray. This will determine where the winch solenoids will go. One other option is a custom tray with a mounting plate for both the winch solenoids and for a ford solenoid for isolating the batteries. Dedicating the left battery for lights and winch while right battery runs the truck.

Brushless Alternator upgrade

Moving the 31x10.50R15 General grabber tires to the Jeep YJ in favor of more aggressive tires on this. Currently looking at the Gladiator QR900-MT as one such option. It has a very similar tread to some of the Military tires a lot of guys run on offroad rigs.

Here is the possible tire option:

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: