Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

Ssr xf250

Went to pick up my TGB (new rear tire) at the local Honda/Yamaha dealer, and they have fairly recently picked up some of SSR's lineup. Outside, next to a CRF250 (offroad version, not enduro) was the XF250 in all its fat-tired glory. It was listed at $2699 (not MSRP) and had 12 miles, so my guess is it was a 'used' bike. I sat on it because I wanted to see its height from my perspective, and me being 5' 7" I had no issues with its height. I couldn't flat foot it, but I definitely did not feel off-balance.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
.....and me being 5' 7"
I'm 5'7" short too lol. I tip-toe on the Brozz

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 04-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #3

Do you feel off-balance?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-29-2017, 07:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Do you feel off-balance?
Only on trails. On road I'm fine.

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

Old 04-29-2017, 08:09 PM   #5

I meant standing, like at a red light.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #6

culcune,
I wish you had a chance to ride the SSR 250SF. I have toyed with the idea of purchasing one, but have never seen a review, known anyone who owned one, read opinions of the bike or seen one in the flesh! But I think they look nice in photos!
Maybe you can snag a ride on your next visit.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
I meant standing, like at a red light.
Oh lol. Yes, I do. I wear boots that have a heal and it helps. I just do the lean lol

Old 04-29-2017, 10:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
culcune,
I wish you had a chance to ride the SSR 250SF. I have toyed with the idea of purchasing one, but have never seen a review, known anyone who owned one, read opinions of the bike or seen one in the flesh! But I think they look nice in photos!
Member dh owns one and has reported on his; not as extensively as we all would like, but from what we gather, he loves his and he takes in on So. Cal freeways where he cruises at 65-70. He is still active here, so if you use the search, you can probably get some kind of review. I will say, the fit and finish seemed near or at the level of the Japanese bikes (as it should for costing so much for Qingqi, the OEM, being an unknown manufacturer). But, I was sitting between two dirt bikes that were near the SSR on each side and could not really scrutinize the bike. I was thinking of rolling the bike backwards so I could get a good walkaround, but didn't want to freak anyone out. This bike would be in financing territory for me, but I think it would be relatively worth it as compared to a double cost CRF250L for a couple reasons (again, for me to justify it); For one, the down payment would be lower. Two, the payments would be lower. Since I am commuting and not buying it as an 'investment' toy which many people seem to do with their belief that they can buy a bike, never ride it, and then sell it a couple years later for 'not much less than they paid' it makes sense for it being half the cost. I know that if someone is financing their 'investment' they might sell their bike for as close a price as they can get to the MSRP (not what they paid out the door) but not take into consideration (or conveniently not mention) all the interest they were paying--all for a bike they might not have ridden more than a 1000 miles!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #9

Grin Respectfully

Culc...sounds like you are getting closer thinking about a purchase. Seems like you are thinking about the next level quality bikes such as the pitster/Ssr. Probably best idea if your thinking about comuting all those miles you have been talking about. That however is a serious amount of comuting on a bike (150miles or so). You may want to consider that Honda 230 too since this is some serious mileage. Also the ability for repairs from a dealer since you have talked about not having time/high mechanic ability for repairs/issues.

Course the otd cost of the honda would end up being close to 6k. Still through fianancing one of the cheapest formes of transportation shy of taking the bus full of stinky people.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #10

culture,
Thanks for the dh link. I looked him up and read his postings. Not too much detail, but still of interest.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Culc...sounds like you are getting closer thinking about a purchase. Seems like you are thinking about the next level quality bikes such as the pitster/Ssr.
Let me see where the job search takes me. I was reading an article the other day about the Bay Area's housing prices. I have not applied, nor have any desire to live up there, as nice as it might be. However, it was interesting that in the article, it was mentioned that someone making 6 figures and has a family is considered lower income. I know that L.A. is not far behind, but at least there is lots of sprawl, so housing is generally more available, hence prices will be lower. But it is not looking good to consider a move there.

I have applied to a position in Palm Springs. Much more reasonable cost of living, and seemingly top dollar salary (seems to be as much as L.A. and even MORE than the Bay Area--you didn't think I wasn't curious after I read that article did you? LOL). The position that I am hoping for the most is the one that will allow me to stay putt in Yuma, but I will have to commute to Calexico. The dread of moving looms over my mind, so the other thought of a high salary (seems to be as much as L.A. as well) mixed with me coming home to the house I have lived in for 13 years, and don't have to pack and get out of is the one I am hoping for--hence the need to find a commuter.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #12

Quote:
culture,
Thanks for the dh link. I looked him up and read his postings. Not too much detail, but still of interest.
We are going to have to work on getting more out of him; he is not pulling his weight around here!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Let me see where the job search takes me. I was reading an article the other day about the Bay Area's housing prices. I have not applied, nor have any desire to live up there, as nice as it might be. However, it was interesting that in the article, it was mentioned that someone making 6 figures and has a family is considered lower income. I know that L.A. is not far behind, but at least there is lots of sprawl, so housing is generally more available, hence prices will be lower. But it is not looking good to consider a move there.

I have applied to a position in Palm Springs. Much more reasonable cost of living, and seemingly top dollar salary (seems to be as much as L.A. and even MORE than the Bay Area--you didn't think I wasn't curious after I read that article did you? LOL). The position that I am hoping for the most is the one that will allow me to stay putt in Yuma, but I will have to commute to Calexico. The dread of moving looms over my mind, so the other thought of a high salary (seems to be as much as L.A. as well) mixed with me coming home to the house I have lived in for 13 years, and don't have to pack and get out of is the one I am hoping for--hence the need to find a commuter.
56 miles https://goo.gl/maps/1v9mu4Gdzc12 one way? Better go for the rx3 with seat concepts, by butt hurts just thinking about it
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #14

Quote:
culcune,
I don't have the SSR but DO have a Qlink, made by the same factory (QingQi) and share basically the same parts. The difference between the SSR and Qlink is the fat tires and it runs the Suzuki CU 250 motor as opposed to my Suzuki DR200 motor. Other than that, it's all the same.

It's a 2009 and the bike has been flawless. Also, as culcune stated, the fit and finish is right up there with the Japanese bikes.

Is the SSR more expensive than the Hondoid counterpart? Yes....but you don't compare the SSR to a 1100.00 China bike, you compare it to the 5000.00 Japanese bike. That makes the 2799 (3099 list for 2017 models) look like a bargain.

If I ever thin some of my herd, the SSR XF250 will be a new addition, no doubt.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-01-2017, 11:13 PM   #15

Hey guys I think a 10,000 mile XF250 review is in order shortly. I have put about 2,000 miles on the XF in the last 2 months commuting to San Diego and LA occasionally with up to 80 lbs of luggage. I didn't buy this bike intending on riding it this much, but it doesn't seem to mind. I may see what kind of a video I can put together.

Here is a riding video posted by some guy in Turkey I believe:

2LZ is right about the Qlink and SSR being pretty much the same bike. Owning a used Qlink is what gave me the confidence to spend $2,700 on the new SSR. If I didn't experience the quality of the Qlink I would have struggled to justify paying over 2k for a Chinabike like so many do. After owning the Qlink I was searching for something with a little more power and everyone I know tried talking me into a used Japanese bike. Of course I heard the old tired argument, "Oh you can get a used DRZ-400 or whatever else for that kind of money". I had already owned a couple of well used Japanese Dual Sports which I loved, but they needed repairs occasionally and parts were not exactly cheap. My XL600 had constant CDI, stator, decompression lever, and carb problems which left me stranded on a few occasions. On the other hand, the Qlink had been a completely trouble free bike. In 2014 the SSR came with a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty which sealed the deal for me.