Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro

Old 06-11-2020, 09:54 AM   #346

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKng View Post
I GPS'd my bike today. The speedo is way off. Like 30 MPH off. 80 MPH indicated is about 55 MPH GPS. How do I get it somewhat closer?

Is the odometer accurate then? It sounds like it's too far off to be an issue of a KPH setup vs. MPH setup, but it is possible. The 2013 cluster had mph and KPH. On my SSR the speedo was pretty accurate but the odometer was off by about 10%.

I would start with the easy stuff, unscrew and clean the speedometer cable ends and reinstall. Ensure the cable end is properly seated inside the gauge cluster, that is goes strait up and in the back of the cluster, and is not angled.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Is it a digital speedometer? Is it set to KPH? If it's a digital speedo then you can use the SpeedoDRD-U1 to calibrate it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-2014...item3f652c035a
Mechanical. I'm thinking of calling the dealer I got this bike from or saying f-it and get the Samdo cluster that is mentioned in this thread a few times.

Old 06-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #348

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh View Post
Is the odometer accurate then? It sounds like it's too far off to be an issue of a KPH setup vs. MPH setup, but it is possible. The 2013 cluster had mph and KPH. On my SSR the speedo was pretty accurate but the odometer was off by about 10%.

I would start with the easy stuff, unscrew and clean the speedometer cable ends and reinstall. Ensure the cable end is properly seated inside the gauge cluster, that is goes strait up and in the back of the cluster, and is not angled.
I'm not sure if the odometer is accurate or not. It doesn't seem to be now that I think about it. Mine has a very similar speedometer to the older bikes as far as I can tell.

I'll try all that. I'm at work with my bike right now so I have all sorts of tools to do everything. Lol.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #349

I was looking at my bike trying to figure out how the speedo cable comes out the drive at the hub and noticed grease leaking from the speedo drive on the hub. Is this an issue that needs to be addressed too?

Also just got off the phone with the dealer. Apparently they have replaced a few speedos on these bikes for the same issue and have not been able to fix it... I feel like that is complete bs... I think it's time to fix it on my own.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #350

Update again. I did a speedo "calibration". I got it about 5 MPH higher than GPS speed at speeds above 35 MPH. Should work for now until I can get a better speedometer.

This guide: https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic...0-error-fixed/
Gave me the idea. I was able to follow this guide as a reference. It's a very similar process.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:38 PM   #351

Clutch upgrade

I've never been a huge fan of the soft and gentle clutch on this bike. Great for a new rider, but not inspiring off road.

Ordered some HD clutch springs and clutch plates a while back and decided to get the job done today. The plates I ordered were for the "GN250" version of this engine. The job took an unexpected turn, when I realized I there are only 5 plates in the bike and 6 plates of varying sizes in the new GN250 set. Overall, not sure how much thicker the new 6 plate setup is compared to the OE 5 plate setup. I tried to do the job with only 5 new plates, and it didn't work... Not quite thick enough. Did the job a second time and managed to squeeze all 6 plates in there with some adjusting and trial and error.

Got it all together and have to say it's working better than new. The clutch has a lot more grab than ever before. The clutch starts to engage when the lever is released about 1/3 of the way. With the old setup, the clutch did not engage until the lever was released about 3/4 or.more. After 25k miles, the old plates actually looked surprisingly decent. Not sure if the stronger performance is due to the extra plate, HD springs, or maybe both?

Old 12-27-2020, 01:14 AM   #352

Awesome new dh! How many miles you have now???? You are the poster child for how awesome these bikes are. Q still runs flawlessly too.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #353

It's been hovering around 25,000 for the last year or so. Transforming from a commute/Postmates bike to the trail/adv bike I always intended it to be.