Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

Angry Broken speedometer cable.

Went for my first long ride on the Hawk, and noticed the speedometer quit working. Apparently the cable was wrapped around the horn and broke.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:21 PM   #2

. . . called your seller yet ?

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-20-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

No. Do you think that would be covered on the warranty.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:56 PM   #4

Stock speedo is junk and way off anyways. Get the new tach cluster from Matt, it is accurate, has a tach, and shows what gear your in.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:16 AM   #5

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbath View Post
Stock speedo is junk and way off anyways. Get the new tach cluster from Matt, it is accurate, has a tach, and shows what gear your in.
second the opinion.PLUS if you ride at night, it really classes up the look of the bike:}
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #6

The upgraded setup is a sweet one.

The speedo cables come dry as a bone or covered in a sticky mystery goo and need cleaning and lubing, out of crate. Somewhere, in a land far away, is a graveyard of millions of broken "new" Chinese speedo cables.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #7

The speedometer cables are only part of the story. The grease/oils they use in China are not very good by American standards. I would put new engine oil, fork oil, and regrease the other open (non sealed bearings). And yes, this includes the steering head bearings. Also, clean the brake discs with brake cleaner, and change the brake fluid. I suspect they spray these bikes with some kind of thin oil to prevent corrosion on that long sea voyage to get here. Take your time routing the throttle and clutch cables to get "sweet" action. I would run a high quality 15-40 oil for the first five hundred miles, then change to synthetic. And make sure there are no hard curves in the speedo cable you just greased. Hard curves cause needle jumping. Unfortunatley, you can re-grease that speedo cable until "Who threw the chunk?", and it won't do any good if it wraps around the horn, or anything else. You have to make sure all the cables work freely in any position of the handle bars and front forks.

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 06-21-2016 at 02:45 PM.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #8

I had the exact same thing happen, I bought the new speedo/Tach from Matt. Very reasonably priced rather than buying a new junk cable.