Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2021, 11:00 AM   #1

Thinking of getting rid of the KPM

Yep, I kinda want to sell it and get an RX4. I want an ADV bike. It'll still see a majority of it's life on the road, but I want something I can go off-road with from time to time. The extra power wouldn't hurt either, as the 60mph daily trips pretty much keep me at full throttle all the time.

What do you guys think? Keep the KPM and set it up as a scrambler, and try to get more power out of it, or sell it and get the RX4?

Old 04-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #2

Keep both!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #3

I had a similar dilemma with my Brozz 250.. too slow for highway use and i was using it as a primary bike.. so i ordered the RX4 and it will serve as my primary bike with the Brozz as dirt/trail use only when riding with my son.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 04-14-2021, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Keep both!
Lol. Man, I wish. The KPM makes bike #4 in my possession. I think I want to keep the numbers at 4. Especially since only 2 are street bikes. The other two are track only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
I had a similar dilemma with my Brozz 250.. too slow for highway use and i was using it as a primary bike.. so i ordered the RX4 and it will serve as my primary bike with the Brozz as dirt/trail use only when riding with my son.
Yeah. I just need more power. Although this is the slowest, and by far, the least powerful bike in the stable, it's probably the most fun. If my daily commute didn't require me to jump on the 55mph country back roads to get to work, I'd be happy. It's definitely a city bike. The lack of power keeps be from being able to pass people doing 50 (and sometimes 40, if it's raining) in a timely manner. It literally takes me 20-30 seconds to get around cars. That's scary. Plus, the lack of any storage is concerning. Even my MT-10 had enough space under the seat to hold my registration. It was also easily accessable. To remove the seat on the KPM requires unbolting panels and the seat.

But, the fuel mileage, maneuverability, light weight, and looks really keep me interested. Either bike will make it easy to stay in two wheels daily. But, power, speed, and storage are kind of a necessity lately, since I'm actually commuting now. Lol.

Old 04-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #5

I hear you.. although the Brozz with the performance mods i have done has no issue passing cars in general, it just runs out of breath and power in 5th gear and holding the throttle pinned over Afton mountain over here in VA and struggling to maintain 55-60 mph is definitely no fun.. i think even the semi truck drivers start scratching their heads, as most of the public generally think that any and all motorcycles are faster than cars/trucks

Old 04-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #6

If I were in your shoes I'd sell it. I recently bought a KPM and a Himalayan (similar in purpose to the RX4). Both bikes are great but there is something about the KPM that I love and I dream about it when I'm not riding it. Despite that, if I had to keep one and get rid of one I would keep the Himalayan. The RX4 is much more versatile than the KPM and you already have other road specific bikes.
You could always buy the spoked KPM wheels from China and rebuild the front with a 19" rim, but even then it's still a city girl wearing hiking boots. The RX4 will be infinitely more capable if you start getting into any sort of dirt. Plus the additional power is a huge bonus.

Old 04-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #7

I'm leaning heavily on the RX4 right now. lol. Already looking up pricing, and trying to decide if it's worth it for the Tourfella luggage. There are a few things I want to try with the KPM first. Mostly the rear sprocket and looking for either a cam or ECU tuning. I know there isn't a big market for either, but after researching this bike for so long, I know I can find a few more things about it. Once I figure out my tax situation, I might just be able to keep the KPM and get the CSC.

The problem is, I'm running out of space with a bunch of project cars that need love also. lol. There's two I CAN get rid of, but not sure if I want to just yet, as one is supposed to be a dedicated track car.

Poor financial decisions abounds... I'm still having fun. lol.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #8

I actually was able to get Venom to switch the KPR for the KPM....seeing this post makes me regret my decision.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorCzo View Post
I actually was able to get Venom to switch the KPR for the KPM....seeing this post makes me regret my decision.
Don't. The KPM actually performs a little better than the KPR. You'll also more than likely be in the same situation with the KPR. The thing is, if I was just using this bike for fun and lived in the city, I'd have no problem with it. But I live out in the sticks. Between kinda being forced to commute on it during the winter, I realized it doesn't fit my needs. I carry a change of clothes and sometimes lunch in a backpack. That backpack tends to interfere with my helmet, and depending on what jacket I'm wearing, hits buttons on my Cardo Packtalk Slim.

My needs may be different from yours. So, don't go off this post as thinking you made a bad decision. When I first bought this bike, I didn't think it was so bad. It was my fun little cruiser for weekend runs to the city, and hang with my friends. My needs changed when I started commuting, and decided I wanted to continue to commuting by bike. I need outlets and accessories for heated grips and heated gear. I'm bringing even more stuff to work, including rain gear. And pinning the throttle just shows me that I've gotten all the usable power I can get out of it. But, again, I'm also 250 lbs. Around 275 with my cold weather gear and 260 or so with spring/summer gear.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:01 PM   #10

get rid of the KPM. you're eventually going to want to get the new CSC cafe anyway. 378cc. 27 hp. 6 speed. just don't know the price yet. hopefully not more than 4500.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
get rid of the KPM. you're eventually going to want to get the new CSC cafe anyway. 378cc. 27 hp. 6 speed. just don't know the price yet. hopefully not more than 4500.
LOL. Trust me, I'm already eye-balling it. But, I have to let function take place over form right now. If I had bottomless pockets, and a 40x40 shop, I'd definitely get both and keep the KPM to see if I can fit a CB300 engine in it.

But, alas. Unless I win the lotto, I can't make any of that happen anytime soon. lol.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #12

I say get the RX4, i dont think there are enough of them out there in the wild as the RX3 stole all the glory long ago, but should no longer

Old 04-15-2021, 05:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon45 View Post
Don't. The KPM actually performs a little better than the KPR. You'll also more than likely be in the same situation with the KPR. The thing is, if I was just using this bike for fun and lived in the city, I'd have no problem with it. But I live out in the sticks. Between kinda being forced to commute on it during the winter, I realized it doesn't fit my needs. I carry a change of clothes and sometimes lunch in a backpack. That backpack tends to interfere with my helmet, and depending on what jacket I'm wearing, hits buttons on my Cardo Packtalk Slim.

My needs may be different from yours. So, don't go off this post as thinking you made a bad decision. When I first bought this bike, I didn't think it was so bad. It was my fun little cruiser for weekend runs to the city, and hang with my friends. My needs changed when I started commuting, and decided I wanted to continue to commuting by bike. I need outlets and accessories for heated grips and heated gear. I'm bringing even more stuff to work, including rain gear. And pinning the throttle just shows me that I've gotten all the usable power I can get out of it. But, again, I'm also 250 lbs. Around 275 with my cold weather gear and 260 or so with spring/summer gear.
I am 260 and need to hit 60 regularly as I live outside of a city.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorCzo View Post
I am 260 and need to hit 60 regularly as I live outside of a city.
You can do 60. It just takes a while to get there. I normally get to 65. You're gonna be full throttle on the KPM and kpr. The problem I have is so little power to pass at 50mph and up. I had to learn patience with this bike. A patience I didn't have in my truck, or with the MT-10, or the RC390. Lol

But, like I said, my commute requirements changed. Especially when it got cold. I needed to carry more stuff, and wanted more luxuries. Since I have poor circulation to my hands, I wanted heated grips and hand warmers. I wanted a windshield. I wanted bags so I could wear hoodies under my jacket and not have the hood sandwiched between my backpack and helmet. Yes, I've found racks and bags that fit, and windshields. It's all in the KPM resource thread. But I just didn't want to go that route.

You may like the KPM. Hell, I still like and commute on mine. But I just want more. I've also been interested in ADV bikes for that last couple years, but found the KPM, and decided to fulfill my cafe bike dream. Which I did. And I'll do it again later on, so I can do the distinguished gentleman's ride properly.

Old 04-16-2021, 11:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon45 View Post
I'm leaning heavily on the RX4 right now. lol. Already looking up pricing, and trying to decide if it's worth it for the Tourfella luggage. There are a few things I want to try with the KPM first. Mostly the rear sprocket and looking for either a cam or ECU tuning. I know there isn't a big market for either, but after researching this bike for so long, I know I can find a few more things about it. Once I figure out my tax situation, I might just be able to keep the KPM and get the CSC.

The problem is, I'm running out of space with a bunch of project cars that need love also. lol. There's two I CAN get rid of, but not sure if I want to just yet, as one is supposed to be a dedicated track car.

Poor financial decisions abounds... I'm still having fun. lol.
Let us know how the changes you make go and if you find any info on cams, ecu, etc... I don't NEED more power from the KPM, but if there happens to be a way to get more power I'd probably do it because I like to mod my bikes.