Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2020, 12:09 AM   #1

Japanese so mods may delete if....

inappropriate.

My Honda 300 Fourtrax parts finally all landed and I am being punished for being a smart @$$ and replacing all the electric except the voltage regulator in an attempt to get out of trouble shooting. Fat Chance!!
I got everything put together last weekend but my jump box wouldn't push enough power to bump it over so I went out this morning and hooked jumper cables to it and I could have sworn it tried to start ( fired ) on the 2cd or 3rd turn of the starter but then nothing after another 5 or 10 minutes of trying. I got some paper towel soaked in gas and put it in the air box and buckled the lid down, got nothing. took out the plug and put a little gas in the cylinder, nothing. pulled the plug and checked for fire and had none. The CDI, coil, solenoid, stator and pulsar are new. Checked the coil primary and secondary according to the Clymer manual and it tests good, according to what I could find the voltage regulator doesn't effect ignition but I checked it anyway and if I followed the manual right it is good as well. I retrieved the original CDI and reinstalled it and nothing. Checked the kill switch and it is working. I will put the original coil and plug back in tomorrow out of desperation, I really don't think it will solve anything but it is simple enough to do so why not.
The stator and pulsar will only mount one way and the motor never turned once the side cover came off so I don't think it is timing BUT-- even if it was timing wouldn't it fire at some point in the rotation? I have been from one end of the harness to the other and have found no cuts, breaks, mashed wires or anything else other than faded colors. Oh, and I did clean the frame and ground connections as well. The only other thing I know to check is the neutral switch. I don't think that is the problem because the neutral light comes on when the transmission is placed in neutral but I am no mechanic so I will have to check it all. If anyone has a suggestion it is more than welcome because I sure ain't looking forward to reading that ding dang damn Clymer manual all day again.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:01 AM   #2

So you never specified, do you have spark, or no? I'm fairly sure that the kill switch works like most Chinese bike in that something grounds a circuit in the CDI. Is that wire grounded? That'd be the first thing I'd check. Also, are the brake switches functional? If I remember correctly, you need to be holding brakes to start them, and if the switches aren't working, I think it won't start. I'd also check handlebar switches and fuses, look for corrosion as well.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
So you never specified, do you have spark, or no? I'm fairly sure that the kill switch works like most Chinese bike in that something grounds a circuit in the CDI. Is that wire grounded? That'd be the first thing I'd check. Also, are the brake switches functional? If I remember correctly, you need to be holding brakes to start them, and if the switches aren't working, I think it won't start. I'd also check handlebar switches and fuses, look for corrosion as well.
no fire ( spark ) no brake switches, handle bar kill switch good, checked grounding but will check again. also I disconnected ground from frame at coil and had no spark. if no components are bad it has to be a wire or ground so the hunt continues.
But I may take the day off to conserve high blood pressure meds.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #4

I've ran different chinese cdi's on my honda trx 250. a 50cc ac gy6 cdi, several zongshen dc cdi. they all plug in and work so long as the plug is the same. In the past i made a simple loom to based on a lifan diagram i found on this site resurrect a 200cc zongshen atv. this was because i did not know how to diagnose my own loom fault. I can't find the image i used but this could work, if you cannot find a service manual
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...6&postcount=11

Old 05-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipetto View Post
I've ran different chinese cdi's on my honda trx 250. a 50cc ac gy6 cdi, several zongshen dc cdi. they all plug in and work so long as the plug is the same. In the past i made a simple loom to based on a lifan diagram i found on this site resurrect a 200cc zongshen atv. this was because i did not know how to diagnose my own loom fault. I can't find the image i used but this could work, if you cannot find a service manual
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...6&postcount=11
Thank you Gipetto, that is a clear drawing and helps in seeing the big picture. I have the Clymer manual and will go over the schematics today, I have only scanned them so far for particular needs.

Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:01 AM   #6

any updates on this? when i inspected the schematics i realised i had to swap the 2 pin cdi plug 180 degrees in orientation, otherwise the starter won't turn over. the only other suggestion i can make is to swap both ground wires on the cdi, but that is more involved, i have yet to try it.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipetto View Post
any updates on this? when i inspected the schematics i realised i had to swap the 2 pin cdi plug 180 degrees in orientation, otherwise the starter won't turn over. the only other suggestion i can make is to swap both ground wires on the cdi, but that is more involved, i have yet to try it.
I have abandoned it for household duties right now, hope to get back to it soon.