Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2023, 06:39 PM   #1

I did a thing today. R.E. Himalayan

First of all let me say that I absolutely fell in love with the ENTIRE line of Royal Enfield bikes. But since I went to get an on / off road machine, I had a hard time making up my mind between the Scram 411 and the Himalayan. In the end I bought the Himalayan simply for the wheel size. I will say that as soon as I pay this one off I will be right back up there to get the 650 interceptor. The R.E. bikes are every bit as sexy as a Trumpet but at a fraction of the cost. Now they probably wont perform like a Triumph but I'm not worried about that. The first pics are a couple bikes I really liked on the floor. Then the Himalayan that I brought home. The pics are of the bike on the loading dock right before I put in in my truck. I know, I KNOW bikes are made to be ridden. But the R.E. dealer is 2 hours from my house. I tell ya though, its starting to look like Jerry's place around here.

Old 06-17-2023, 07:06 PM   #2

Good work. IMO you can't go wrong with a RE bike. A couple of years ago I was looking at the Himmi too, but then discovered the world of Chinese bikes. Having a KPX, my next bike would be an Interceptor.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 06-17-2023, 07:32 PM   #3

Congrats! Let's go do the SCAR!

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
Congrats! Let's go do the SCAR!
Let's GO!! I can't take the Enfield yet until I get it broke in. Break in periods SUCK! But the KPX is ready right now! Say WHEN!! I just got back from putting about 40 miles on the Himmy. A grueling varying speeds with a max speed of 60 KPH about 37 friggen MPH . I tell ya though even though the motor puts out a measly 24 bhp, it does not feel like it, its got some grunt. And the thing will lumber around off road like a dang tractor. Love the thing for sure. I went ahead and got one now even though it was before I really wanted to. I wanted to get the air cooled 411 before R.E. did something DUMB like putting a water cooled 450cc mule in them. Anyway here's a few more pics of her in the wild.

Old 06-17-2023, 08:52 PM   #5

Long stroke, high torque, low top end. Perfect for long time travels and hills and places without perfect roads.

Less maintenance than the Interceptor, et al. Those polished aluminum covers (can gleam with additional hand polishing) are softer than chrome so you do need to still polish them up to keep them looking spiffy. If you ignore the aluminum it will start to look a bid grotty after a few years. Not a problem on the Himi.

A good thing about most RE models is you can get in cheap with the entry level on most where its only the gas tank that has the trim and then years down the road when wanting a refresh just buy a new tank and any other small trim pieces in the color you want in future.

The water cooled Himi is for the UK crowds and Americans that want to use them as Sports Tourers and spend 98% of their time on the freeways cruising on the smooth roads and then dip their toe every rare occasion in the dirt. They want the top end speed. Basically a KTM 390, which is a fantastic dynamite on road bike but a horrible off road bike in comparison to its on road chops.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 06-17-2023, 10:14 PM   #6

Indeed, That motor on the 650 Int. looks so dang good. Truly its what draws me to classic styled bikes. The looks of the engine was always the thing that drew me in to the bike. Seeing the MOTOR is what makes MOTORcycles cool to me. I guess I'm just an old fuddy who likes the looks of the bare bike before they started covering them all up in recycled soda bottles.

Old 06-18-2023, 07:43 AM   #7

The Interceptor motor has a very BSA-like look to it.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 06-18-2023, 09:36 AM   #8

I bought a 2023 Scram in Feb. In fact, I’m heading out after breakfast to go play on the WABDR for the day with a buddy before the rains settle in and probably bring snow to the higher elevations.
If you want to talk parts and stuff, let me know. I actually decided the larger front wheel wasn’t that big a deal but if I changed my mind later, I could change the wheel setup too - they are interchangeable and the bike doesn’t care. I have a great local dealer, I’ve bought a few things from Hitchcocks, and I’m not great at it but I think I’ve done ok in kitting my bike out with stuff direct from India like most RE owners. Working on an exhaust solution right now - I know what I want, it’s just if I can get it.

Old 06-19-2023, 02:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Let's GO!! I can't take the Enfield yet until I get it broke in. Break in periods SUCK! But the KPX is ready right now! Say WHEN!! I just got back from putting about 40 miles on the Himmy. A grueling varying speeds with a max speed of 60 KPH about 37 friggen MPH . I tell ya though even though the motor puts out a measly 24 bhp, it does not feel like it, its got some grunt. And the thing will lumber around off road like a dang tractor. Love the thing for sure. I went ahead and got one now even though it was before I really wanted to. I wanted to get the air cooled 411 before R.E. did something DUMB like putting a water cooled 450cc mule in them. Anyway here's a few more pics of her in the wild.

Break it in. Maybe August sometime?

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 06-20-2023, 03:07 AM   #10

That or we can do it in the fall. It sure will be pretty around that time in the upstate.

Old 06-29-2023, 12:25 PM   #11

How in hell did I miss this thread!? Congrats letsride and welcome to the RE world!

Now, get under the seat and into the side covers and clean all that white grease out of the relays! ;-)

I know what you mean about falling in love with the entire line. I was so impressed with my Interceptor, I went back and bought the Scram! Now if I can get Mrs. 2LZ to sell her Sporty, I'd get her on a Classic 350!

This is awesome news. You're going to love the Himmy. TONS of mods for them.
Been here yet???

https://www.royalenfieldowners.com/i.../himalayan.12/

There are basically two forums out there. One is "unofficial" they call themselves. I hung out there until I was run off by simply rude folks. The one posted above is a goody.

EDIT: For some reason, I never made the connection between you here, and there. Must be the beer.... ;-)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-29-2023, 01:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
How in hell did I miss this thread!? Congrats letsride and welcome to the RE world!

Now, get under the seat and into the side covers and clean all that white grease out of the relays! ;-)

I know what you mean about falling in love with the entire line. I was so impressed with my Interceptor, I went back and bought the Scram! Now if I can get Mrs. 2LZ to sell her Sporty, I'd get her on a Classic 350!

This is awesome news. You're going to love the Himmy. TONS of mods for them.
Been here yet???

https://www.royalenfieldowners.com/i.../himalayan.12/

There are basically two forums out there. One is "unofficial" they call themselves. I hung out there until I was run off by simply rude folks. The one posted above is a goody.

EDIT: For some reason, I never made the connection between you here, and there. Must be the beer.... ;-)
I was about to say, I've been following your threads and commenting on some of them over there, No worries, all good brother.
Yes, at 300 miles I'm going to go over the entire bike and do all of the connecttors, and install the farkles that are trickling in here. I was out riding it for about an hour this Morning and it stalled on me twice. So I guess the problem still exists in the 2023's.. So my mind is made up, I will be ordering a carb conversion kit from Hitchcocks.

Old 06-29-2023, 03:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
I was about to say, I've been following your threads and commenting on some of them over there, No worries, all good brother.
Yes, at 300 miles I'm going to go over the entire bike and do all of the connecttors, and install the farkles that are trickling in here. I was out riding it for about an hour this Morning and it stalled on me twice. So I guess the problem still exists in the 2023's.. So my mind is made up, I will be ordering a carb conversion kit from Hitchcocks.
My valves at the 300 mile service, just like all the China bikes, (other then Q), were tight.May want to check that first. I haven't had any stalling issues with the Scram. Been flawless so far, other than that funny rattle at certain R's. That's more bothersome than problem though.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-29-2023, 03:42 PM   #14

That bike is dead sexy.

Old 07-02-2023, 08:57 PM   #15

I named my Himalayan Eeyore, because the thing will just lumber around in the woods like a pack donkey. So today my wife made and installed my first mod.