Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #16

US Federal Requirements for Motorcycle Road Use

These are the current US Standards for Motorcycles:

§571.123 Standard No. 123; Motorcycle controls and displays.

S1. Scope. This standard specifies requirements for the location, operation, identification, and illumination of motorcycle controls and displays, and requirements for motorcycle stands and footrests.

S2. Purpose. The purpose of this standard is to minimize accidents caused by operator error in responding to the motoring environment, by standardizing certain motorcycle controls and displays.

S3. Application. This standard applies to motorcycles equipped with handlebars, except for motorcycles that are designed, and sold exclusively for use by law enforcement agencies.

S4. Definitions. Clockwise and counterclockwise mean opposing directions of rotation around the following axes, as applicable.

(a) The operational axis of the ignition control, viewed from in front of the ignition lock opening;

(b) The axis of the right handlebar on which the twist–grip throttle is located, viewed from the end of that handlebar;

(c) The axis perpendicular to the center of the speedometer, viewed from the operator's normal eye position.

[Editor’s Note: The following definition for “scooter” is added effective August 30, 2006.]

Scooter means a motorcycle that:

(1) Has a platform for the operator's feet or has integrated footrests, and

(2) Has a step-through architecture, meaning that the part of the vehicle forward of the operator's seat and between the legs of an operator seated in the riding position, is lower in height than the operator's seat.

S5. Requirements.

S5.1. Each motorcycle shall be equipped with a supplemental engine stop control, located and operable as specified in Table 1.

S5.2 Each motorcycle to which this standard applies shall meet the following requirements:

[Editor’s Note: S5.2.1 is revised effective August 30, 2006.]

S5.2.1 Control location and operation. If any item of equipment listed in Table 1, Column 1, is provided, the control for such item shall be located as specified in Column 2, and operable as specified in Column 3. Each control located on a right handlebar shall be operable by the operator's right hand throughout its full range without removal of the operator's right hand from the throttle. Each control located on a left handlebar shall be operable by the operator's left hand throughout its full range without removal of the operator's left hand from the handgrip. If a motorcycle with an automatic clutch is equipped with a supplemental rear brake control, the control shall be located on the left handlebar. If a motorcycle is equipped with self–proportioning or antilock braking devices utilizing a single control for front and rear brakes, the control shall be located and operable in the same manner as a rear brake control.

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=8317

S5.2.2 Display illumination and operation. If an item of equipment listed in Table 2, Column 1, is provided, the display for such item shall be visible to a seated operator under daylight conditions, shall illuminate as specified in Column 2, and shall operate as specified in Column 3.

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=8322

S5.2.3 Control and display identification. If an item of equipment in Table 3, Column 1, is provided, the item and its operational function shall be identified by:

(a) A symbol substantially in the form shown in Column 3; or

(b) Wording shown in both Column 2 and Column 4; or

(c) A symbol substantially in the form shown in Column 3 and wording shown in both Column 2 and Column 4.

(d) The abbreviations "M.P.H.", "km/h", "r/min", "Hi", "Lo", "L", "R", and "Res" appearing in Column 2 and Column 4 may be spelled in full. Symbols and words may be provided for equipment items where none are shown in Column 2, Column 3, and Column 4. Any identification provided shall be placed on or adjacent to the control or display position, and shall appear upright to the operator.

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=8325

S5.2.4 Stands. A stand shall fold rearward and upward if it contacts the ground when the motorcycle is moving forward.

S5.2.5 Footrests. Footrests shall be provided for each designated seating position. Each footrests for a passenger other than an operator shall fold rearward and upward when not in use.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #17

Nails Are Gone time to face the....

Gonna present to the DMV my reg info and forms along with MCO, Bill of Sale and photos of my State Vehicle Inspection Sticker on my bike, a photo of the one factory sticker on my bike and a picture of the bike itself(to show it's not a scooter).

Not too confident :roll:

We'll see. :wink:

Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #18

BTW, Called the dealer (www.atvsimporters.com) and I asked the lady for a copy of the FMVSS for the Viva. She insisted that there was one already on the bike from the factory.

If there is, i'd like to know where it is!

She said, if i couldn't find it to call her back.

Do any of you Viva owners have one on your bike? :?

Old 05-14-2008, 08:08 AM   #19

bring me up to par >>>> what is a FMVSS ???

is this only for dual sport
i have a VX250PR
DD

Old 05-14-2008, 09:28 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog
bring me up to par >>>> what is a FMVSS ???

is this only for dual sport
i have a VX250PR
DD
It turns out that the FMVSS is that little sticker/plate that all currently produced motor vehicles are supposed to have to show they have been tested by an independant testing agency and that they comply with the standards established in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

These stickers should be on all vehicles and any vehicle safety equipment such as helmets and child safety seats.

The ones i've seen are pretty plain looking black text on white stickers that have gross and net weights, vehicle classification info and the line that states: "this motor vehicle complies with all federal motor vehicle safety standards".

On a KTM forum someone mentioned that on those bikes it's located on the frame adjacent to the headset boss behind the VIN.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #21

Well, took a picture of the only sticker on my bike- on the swingarm that's partially blocked by the passenger footpeg bar, a picture of my state inspection sticker and a picture of the bike (showing it's not a scooter) and went to the DMV (first person in the door this AM).

The lady at the desk went over everything and said it all appears in order and said they'll be sending it all back to Charleston, WV headquarters (today) to let them finish processing everything. So, i'll have to wait and see what they decide.

The Saga continues :?

Old 05-30-2008, 01:11 PM   #22

MCO's need the FMVSS statement in WV

The info was returned to my title xfer place yet again. Said the sticker did not contain needed info. In particular the line, "This motor vehicle complies with all federal motor vehicle safety standards."

So, i called the State MVA office and spoke to the titling director. She was very nice and told me that according to a memo, they were requiring a photo of the FMVSS along with the MCO to register and title. She sent me a FAX of this memo and it is in reference to
"Mopeds and Motor-Driven Cycles"

One line states, "...the customer must provide a photograph of the manufacturer's label if the certificate of origin does not reflect the vehicle has been manufactured to meet all FMVSS safety standards."

So, i called the dealer and they told me to write VOID on my old MCO and fax it to them and they would issue me a new one that included this information.

I guess if anyone gets a MCO without that statement explicitly on it, they will likely ask for a photo of the FMVSS sticker.

Just another thing that a new Chinese bike purchaser needs to keep in mind and make sure the dealer puts that on the MCO.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:39 PM   #23

Voila!

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...g2_itemId=8732

Old 06-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #24

haha. congrats!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #25

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOoooooooo!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:16 AM   #26

Smiles in WV

WV title arrived yesterday!!

Registration card should be coming soon.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #27

Now I Can Ride in Peace!

That little ole registration card never looked SO GOOD!

Came in the mail t'day!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #28

Enjoy your ride. You earned it.