Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #1

Little Nail Biting in WV

Went to a local insurance office in town to do the titling and reg on my new Viva. (This is after attempting to do it thru the DMV. They seemed to be confused about the stated price and the mileage statement.)

Anyway, the insurance co. processed the paperwork and issued me my temp. tags. That was 3 weeks ago and still no tags or title have shown up. I gave my tele number in case "there were any questions". And no calls so far.

Like they say, "no news is good news".

I'll just feel much better when the title and tags show up. :wink:

Old 05-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #2

I sorta feel your pain...

I just bought my LF200b from a dealer in Charleston Wv and I live in Ky. He told me pretty much all the wrong info to get the tags for it and it took like 6 hours today of running around to finally walk out legal.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #3

Hopefully you can update that they have come in tomorrow...... :wink:

Old 05-08-2008, 09:58 PM   #4

Thanks Crossed and Enigmatic,

At least i have some comfort that SAMM and Pumpkin have also successfully tagged Chinese DS bikes here in WV.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #5

Re: Little Nail Biting in WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by elroyjetsn
Went to a local insurance office in town to do the titling and reg on my new Viva. (This is after attempting to do it thru the DMV. They seemed to be confused about the stated price and the mileage statement.)
When my DMV questioned me about the price I paid I told them I could show them similar bikes on the internet. They used the GY on Hooper's site, printed it out and stapled it to my paperword with my signature..... Otherwise they were going to use a KTM price of close to $4k as a value....
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 05-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #6

Re: Little Nail Biting in WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhyak
Quote:
When my DMV questioned me about the price I paid I told them I could show them similar bikes on the internet. They used the GY on Hooper's site, printed it out and stapled it to my paperword with my signature..... Otherwise they were going to use a KTM price of close to $4k as a value....
Good advice, think i'll keep a printout of the Viva Dealer's page handy in case.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:26 AM   #7

In Ky they wouldnt accept the bill of sale or anything like that at all that I had brought with me. They would only accept the "window sticker" as they called it, or a signed and notorized affidavit of my purchase price.

She said that if they had to look up the price in their book it would add on so many extras that Id end up paying taxes on $5k!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #8

Call the insurance agency that did the Xfer and the guy said that the Title guy had been out for a while, so things have "backed up". He said he'd check on the current status of mine and get back to me later today. He said under normal circumstances 2-3 weeks.

So, already have 3 weeks under my belt. That is if the stuff has even gone to the DMV, yet :? Maybe i should drop off the screen shot of the VIva webpage.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #9

Need sticker photo

They are asking for a good clear photo of the DOT sticker. :?

Anybody got one, preferably on their Viva?

PM me...

Thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to GY_Racing
ut oh...

Some news is bad news?

Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GY_Racing
ut oh...

Some news is bad news?
Yeah,

Got the EPA sticker and that's all cool. Just no DOT anywhere that i can tell.

Looking at the Fed motor vehicle standards: 571.123 and i'm compliant on everything as far as i can tell.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to GY_Racing
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GY_Racing
ut oh...

Some news is bad news?
Yeah,

Got the EPA sticker and that's all cool. Just no DOT anywhere that i can tell.

Looking at the Fed motor vehicle standards: 571.123 and i'm compliant on everything as far as i can tell.
Sticker huh? where did you get that from?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 PM   #13

FYI,

This is the text of the West Virginia Statute concerning Titling a foreign bike:

§17A-3A-3. Certificates of title.
(a) Before any imported vehicle which has not previously been

titled or registered in the United States may be titled in this state, the applicant must submit: (1) A manufacturer's certificate of origin issued by the actual vehicle manufacturer together with a notarized translation thereof; or (2) the documents constituting valid proof of ownership by an individual owner or exporter and evidencing a change of such ownership to the applicant, together with a notarized translation of any document; or (3) with regard to vehicles imported from countries which cancel the vehicle registration and title for export, the documents assigned to such vehicle after the registration and title have been canceled, together with a notarized translation thereof, and proof satisfactory to the division that the motor vehicle complies with the United States Clean Air Act and the Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

(b) In the event that the documents submitted as required by subsection (a) of this section do not name as owner the current applicant for a certificate of title, the applicant must also submit reliable proof of a chain of title. For those countries which utilize documents of registration rather than a certificate of title, proof of a chain of title for purposes of this subsection shall be accomplished by presenting the change of ownership certificate referred to in subsection (a) of this section.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #14

This is another relavent article from the WV code:

§17A-3-5. Application for specially constructed, reconstructed or foreign vehicles or new vehicles purchased outside this state.
(a) In the event the vehicle to be registered is specially constructed, reconstructed, or a foreign vehicle, such fact shall be stated in the application and with reference to every foreign vehicle which has been registered heretofore outside of this state the owner shall surrender to the department all registration plates, registration cards, and certificates of title or other evidence of such foreign registration as may be in his possession or under his control except as provided in subsection (b) hereof.

(b) Where in the course of interstate operation of a vehicle registered in another state it is desirable to retain registration of said vehicle in such other state, such applicant need not surrender but shall submit for inspection said evidences of such foreign registration and the department upon a proper showing shall register said vehicle in this state but shall not issue a certificate of title for such vehicle.

(c) In the event application for registration and certificate of title is made for a new vehicle purchased from a dealer outside this state, a certificate of title shall not be issued for such vehicle nor shall such vehicle be registered by the department unless and until such application shall be accompanied by a certificate of title or a manufacturer's certificate of origin, or if the state of purchase does not require a certificate of title such application shall be accompanied by a manufacturer's certificate of origin, accompanied by evidence that such seller is a bona fide dealer of the state in which such vehicle was purchased.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 PM   #15

This article comes from the Motor Vehicle Safety Act:

Sec. 30115. Certification of compliance

A manufacturer or distributor of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment shall certify to the distributor or dealer at delivery that the vehicle or equipment complies with applicable motor vehicle safety standards prescribed under this chapter. A person may not issue the certificate if, in exercising reasonable care, the person has reason to know the certificate is false or misleading in a material respect. Certification of a vehicle must be shown by a label or tag permanently fixed to the vehicle. Certification of equipment may be shown by a label or tag on the equipment or on the outside of the container in which the equipment is delivered.