Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Seat Modifications and Alternatives

Quick review of the Airhawk DS seat cushion on the RX3.

I am about 6 feet, 170 pounds, and I do not like the stock seat. It forces me too far forward into the handlebars, bends my knees a bit more than I like, and has me sitting on my haunches in a way that quickly develops "hot spots."

I was not sure that CSC sheepskin seat cover would address my problems, and I needed to do something sooner than wait for the new Seat Concept option.

So I purchased an Airhawk DS seat cover. As many of you know, Airhawk uses an inflatable multi-chambered pad zipped inside a slip-resistant seat cover. You can just place it on the seat or use stretchy straps around the seat to hold it in place.

For me, the DS made a huge improvement. I sit near the back lip of the cushion, so I can just feel the edge of the passenger seat against my tailbone. The cushion keeps me from sliding forward, and also spreads my contact point so I am not experiencing hot spots. With the new riding position, I no longer feel I am being pushed into the handlebars, and my knees are not quite as bent. I really feel the RX3 fits me, whereas it seemed too cramped without the pad.

Downsides: The DS is only available in the regular Airhawk line which uses neoprene, not the less expensive Airhawk 2 line. So retail is about $170. Some people do not like the feeling of sitting on balloons, but you can adjust the air in the cushion to help reduce this. For me its not a problem on the RX3. Finally I always think a bit before I park the bike and just leave the cushion in place. I may take it off for short errand rides, or I might cover it with an old jacket that I attach to the bike with a light cable and padlock.

All in all, this was a very worthwhile investment for me.

(I'd post photos but I am technically challenged and have not mastered this skill.)

Old 06-23-2015, 12:42 PM   #2

Good review and info on the airhawk Nova. I'm shorter and definitely feel the heat from lack of air circulation, rj

Old 06-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #3

Upholstery Shops?

Seat comfort comes up in many reviews.

I am scheduled to take delivery of my RX3 on Thurs. but I have already started looking into local auto upholstery shops.

I assumed, , that an auto upholstery shop would have access to all the required materials, and also have some familiarity in shaping the foam.

Has anyone had experience with an auto upholstery shop?

Seat Concepts who I have used on several other bikes, apparently has given CSC an exclusive, and will not sell direct to the public.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #4

Thanks for starting this informative thread, and posting the good review of the Airhawk DS seat cushion.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #5

I've posted elsewhere about the improvement I've got with the gel pad from CycleGear. That being said, my experience is that pads and cushions are a temporary fix and I have always ended up buying a custom seat from the aftermarket. I'm looking forward to the CSC seat as I consider it to be aftermarket.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 06-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #6

George, I found your comments on the CG gel pad in your "making it mine" thread. Your pad looks very similar to the shape of the Airhawk DS. And it's a lot cheaper. Do you find that it helps you sit near the back of the seat as I described for the DS?

Of course, an advantage of the DS is you can adjust the air pressure to get the best "fit."

I agree the pads are temporary until a better seat comes along. But the DS is helping me ride more now, so it was worth the investment.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I'd post photos but I am technically challenged and have not mastered this skill.
Perhaps this will help: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14422

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #8

NoVa, my pad is the medium size so only covers about 2/3 of the rider's seat. I've been playing with the ideal location for my arse and inseam (32") and it seems to be towards the rear of the rider's seat. The pad is flat so doesn't change the contours of original seat and doesn't push me into the tank. It is surprisingly comfortable, but I know I'll be happier with an aftermarket seat.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L