Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #1

Tourfella rack and top box issues

Hey team, I have the Tourfella boxes on my bike and I wanted to call out a couple of things that I have learned and experienced with them to date.

1 - I found out why on the 2016 and above bikes that the left side of the pannier rack with pannier installed hits the blinker. It's because at some point Zong change suppliers and the newer blinkers stick out further.

2 - I had 3 of the 4 "pucks" that are used to attach the top box to the mounts via the keyhole slots break off on the Baja ride. I never really noticed but they are made of plastic. Pete who was on the ride had his do this prior to Baja and Joe B told me they had this occur during their China ride. Check them to make use they aren't cracking on yours as you don't want it bouncing down the highway. I caught mine when one of them cracked and bungied it to the bike with what I had but it wasn't enough to keep 2 more from going but the bungie keep the box from flying down the highway. I found a better want to strap it in place for the rest of the ride. I spoke with Steve when we got back to CSC and they don't have spares to sell so I took my dremel tool and cut off the remaining lower pieces of the plastic that go under the top plate and cut them flat, purchased longer bolts, 24mm washers and nylock nuts and attached them and now they should never break off again. I covered them in hot melt glue so they don't scratch anything when off the bike. I mentioned to Steve that these should be steel or aluminum instead and that since they have the Pro-One machine shop they could easily turn these out on a lathe and sell them as upgraded. Haven't heard back to see if they are going to do that.

3 - I've always noticed that the top box rack plate is simply spot welded to the tubing in multiple places but after returning from Baja I noticed that 3 of the welds had broken. I've never carried anything heavier than the max load listed on the top box so I'm guessing that all the bouncing around on bad asphalt and our tour offroad is what had done it so I just finished stripping the paint all the way around the top plate and I'm having a guy weld a bead all the way around and then I'll repaint.

If you have the Tourfella luggage, I'd inspect these two things "just in case".

Take care!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6437.jpg (90.9 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6438.jpg (99.3 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6439.jpg (87.2 KB, 406 views)

Old 04-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #2

Good catch and fix for this Joe. Sticky worthy in the mods section, rj

Old 04-10-2017, 03:49 PM   #3

When I first got my RX3 (barely used), one of the front blinkers was non-functional. CSC sent me another one....of the new 2016 blinkers that was larger. I didn't even think about it until I mounted it and thought it was an optical illusion....then I whipped out a tape measure. They sent me the smaller 2015 blinker after that.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #4

You never want the weld all the way around. If it starts to crack it will travel the length of the weld. That is why mostly all items like this are welded in sections. Plus the risk of warpage is huge. I TIG weld a lot.Do not MIG this.

Old 04-11-2017, 11:25 AM   #5

I had it professionally welded yesterday by a pro company. He said the same thing and did a nice job of fixing the cracked welds, making them larger and adding more sections. I got 3 coats of paint on it yesterday and now it's reinstalled and ready for an adventure.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:27 PM   #6

Damage Inc.

you have been really getting your tickets worth on this inexpensive bike. battle damage repaired

metallica too
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

And fully stress tested the new weld today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6440.jpg (99.0 KB, 341 views)

Old 04-12-2017, 10:38 AM   #8

The most awesome wheelie bar ever!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-15-2017, 02:42 AM   #9

I had a similar experience riding on bumpy gravel roads on Vancouver Island. I felt something shift and saw the corner of the top box in the mirror. Discovered 3 broken pucks. I had no straps so stashed the box in the woods. I came back the next da with straps but the box was gone. No part of the Tourfella luggage is warranteed. I really like the luggage but will get metal pucks made up before mounting my new top box. Maybe time for Zongshen to upgrade that part.
Farkles: CSC Skid Plate, Seat Concepts Low Seat, Genssi LED, Center Stand, USB/Cig Pwr, GPS mount, Spotlights, Sintered Brake Pad, 13T / 45T, Shinko 804/805, Side Stand Pad, Tourfella Luggage, Heated Grips, Sheepskin Gel pad, Progressive 465 Shock

Old 04-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #10

Bummer that someone took your top box. If you have a friend with a metal lathe it would be pretty easy to turn out metal pucks or doing what I did could work if not. I didn't realize that the tourfella stuff didn't have a warranty on it. Good to know! Thanks

Old 04-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #11

If somebody could send me a good sample of the dreaded pucks I would be glad to make some aluminum ones for a reasonable cost on my lathe. rj

Old 04-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversprint View Post
I had a similar experience riding on bumpy gravel roads on Vancouver Island. I felt something shift and saw the corner of the top box in the mirror. Discovered 3 broken pucks. I had no straps so stashed the box in the woods. I came back the next da with straps but the box was gone. No part of the Tourfella luggage is warranteed. I really like the luggage but will get metal pucks made up before mounting my new top box. Maybe time for Zongshen to upgrade that part.
How come you couldn't stash is better? I would have buried the thing. But I wasn't there so tough for me to say about your situation.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #13

It was the worst downpour I have ever been through and I did climb over a huge berm beside the road and stashed the box under some branches so it wasn't visible from the road. The rain never let up at all and I was quite surprised to find the box gone when I returned.
Farkles: CSC Skid Plate, Seat Concepts Low Seat, Genssi LED, Center Stand, USB/Cig Pwr, GPS mount, Spotlights, Sintered Brake Pad, 13T / 45T, Shinko 804/805, Side Stand Pad, Tourfella Luggage, Heated Grips, Sheepskin Gel pad, Progressive 465 Shock

Old 04-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #14

any food in it? Maybe a bear dragged it off. rj

Old 04-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
any food in it? Maybe a bear dragged it off. rj
I was wondering the same thing.