Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2018, 11:47 PM   #1

RX3 vs Enfield Himalayan

I have not found an article comparing the Zongshen RX3 and Royal Enfield Himalayan. They are so similar in price and performance that comparison tests are inevitable.
-I did find some discussion in a Himalayan thread on another web site, shown below. The poster summed it up pretty well:
"...it seems the RX3 has some competition on the horizon. Royal Enfield's new 411cc adventure bike is on the market in 2018.
-It's heavier and doesn't appear to come with bags stock, but the price is only a couple hundred more than the RX3.
-Same horsepower, slightly more torque, and an extra 22 lbs of weight.
-Top speed is about the same though. 140kph, or 87mph. It looks great to my eye, especially naked... but I'm not sure it's the right choice.
-The added torque means it probably holds speed up hills better and does highway cruising better, but it's already weighing in at 401 lbs dry with no luggage vs the 385 lbs dry for the fully decked out CSC RX3.
-The big aluminum panniers and racks are going to add another 35-40 lbs easily, and they cost $599, plus $112 for the rack. Crash bars are another $110. Haven't priced a rear rack or trunk yet.

-So, just guestimating, the Royal Enfield Himalaya is just over $1000 more expensive than the CSC RX3 when similarly equipped. It's 65 lbs (ish) heavier when so equipped, and has 8 ft lbs more torque. It will however have significantly bigger bags than the RX3, but you have to pay for that. The RX3 can be upgraded with even bigger bags than the Royal Enfield for less money too...

-I'd really, really love to see a shootout between these two bikes. The RX3 has the adventure look and the reliability down. The Enfield looks... well, it looks really cool. But it has a history of lackluster quality to deal with, and it's not significantly better than the RX3 in performance or value. I think it's a wash between the two, but won't know until I see them and sit on them in person."

Last edited by wheelbender6; 03-14-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Fix img link

Old 03-15-2018, 06:29 AM   #2

The RE Himalayan doesn't blow my skirt up either but for many the mystique of the RE brand is what will attract them. And seeing as you can only get RE's as an adventure choice to head up to Ladakh - it will certainly do better than an RE Bullet traveling up the highest motorable road in the world. . .
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 03-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #3

Hey, if you're a RE fan, you're gonna love it.

All I know is this. If (when?) Zong finally comes out with their 400/450, it better have more than the "-Same horsepower, slightly more torque, and an extra 22 lbs of weight."

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #4

A bloke from the UK posted that the valve adjustment interval for his Himalayan is 3000 miles. That is a Ducati-ish valve adjustment interval. Good thing it doesn't have the shim and bucket adjusters.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #5

Valve adjustment interval

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
A bloke from the UK posted that the valve adjustment interval for his Himalayan is 3000 miles. That is a Ducati-ish valve adjustment interval. Good thing it doesn't have the shim and bucket adjusters.
Isn’t the suggested valve adjustment interval for the RX3 also 3,000 miles?
You’re correct about the Ducati’s valve adjustments, and if the dealer performs the adjustment, the shop charge is over $1,000 plus!
At least the Himalayan uses screw driver and wrench to adjust the valves, same as RX3, and no cam(s) removal.

Old 03-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #6

The valve adjustment interval for the RX3 is 5000 miles

Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
Isn’t the suggested valve adjustment interval for the RX3 also 3,000 miles?
The RX3's Service Manual, on page 7, calls for Inspection intervals of 2500 miles.

In more practical terms, I run it until the engine starts to stall while coasting with the clutch lever pulled in. That meant the initial adjustment at 500 miles and then running until 4500 miles, at which time the exhaust valve lash adjusters were almost solid. I adjusted them to spec and then ran it to 8500 miles. I did another inspection, despite the fact that the bike was not stalling while coasting this time. I found that the valve lash was still in spec with no change whatsoever from the 4500 mile adjustment. One thing I will add is that I use Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant added to the fuel, per Gerry at CSC's recomendation.

Old 03-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
The RX3's Service Manual, on page 7, calls for Inspection intervals of 2500 miles.

In more practical terms, I run it until the engine starts to stall while coasting with the clutch lever pulled in. That meant the initial adjustment at 500 miles and then running until 4500 miles, at which time the exhaust valve lash adjusters were almost solid. I adjusted them to spec and then ran it to 8500 miles. I did another inspection, despite the fact that the bike was not stalling while coasting this time. I found that the valve lash was still in spec with no change whatsoever from the 4500 mile adjustment. One thing I will add is that I use Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant added to the fuel, per Gerry at CSC's recomendation.
Agreed, I use the same Lucas Magic Goo. I set them at the 500 mile interval, then rechecked them at 1200. Intake was fine. Exhaust was a little tight. I checked them again at about 3800 and they were still in spec. I'm not going to worry about them for a while.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #9

Similar Service Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post

Maybe the same logic and techniques will work the same for the Himalayan bike?
We’ll have to wait and see until we hear from an actual owner with hands on experience. If you are following the actual service manual recommendations, both bikes service suggestions are pretty similar.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #10

R.E. reliability

I had a R.E. Continental GT, which I loved to ride. I put an Enfield exhaust, K&N filter and Power Commander unit on it. It certainly wasn't any ball of fire but was a very pleasant and good looking bike. All was well for the first season of riding and I put it away for the winter, suitably winterized. Come Spring it had a dead short which turned out to be the stator and voltage regulator (the latter probably destroyed when I tried to connect the battery and got lots of sparks).
Over the winter the dealer I had bought the bike from (National Power Sports) had given up on R.E. leaving me with the nearest dealer some 500 miles away in Connecticut. The bike was just out of warranty, by a month, so I took it to my local Kawasaki dealer who very nicely said he would try to diagnose the fault. As luck would have it another Enfield owner came into his workshop a day later, asked about the GT, and when told what had happened was able to say it was likely the stator as the same thing had happened to his bike.
I then tried to contact the Enfield HQ but all I got was an answer phone. I eventually contacted a dealer in Conn. who ordered the parts for me. I was told two weeks later that the parts were unavailable, and not expected until later in the year. I then heard that the Conn. dealer had a stator come through, albeit twice the original price quoted, but still no Voltage reg. I was about to go generic with the VR when Enfield offered the dealer a VR off a "scrapped" bike they had. I was charged full price plus shipping for this part, which when it arrived looked very second hand but did work.
So in early September I eventually got my Continental GT back and in running condition. I had however lost all faith in the bike and R.E. I sold the bike to a guy who fell in love with its looks, as I had. It was like being married to a beautiful woman only to find out she has been screwing the gardener.
I would be very wary of buying another product of theirs. I, and many others were let down very badly by R.E. USA. Do watch all the You Tube videos on the Himalaya, especially the ones from India, where this bike has already got a reputation for poor quality electrics.

Last edited by Goshawk; 03-22-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Old 03-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #11

And I doubt any RE dealer will take you to Baja and other great destinations just for buying their bike. I do like the idea but hopefully the CSC Zong larger bikes will be worth the wait. rj