Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2017, 02:51 AM   #1

Stock rear shock rebuild potential?

Knowing that the stock rear shock uses an external valve for the small air charge instead of a sealed nitrogen charge got me wondering if the stock shock is stamped together or if it could be taken apart, modified, and reassembled. It seems the spikey feel that a lot of folks talk about could be reduced with adjusted compression valving, oil weight, or both. I haven't placed my order yet, but I'm wondering about it since I'll just go with the progressive shock if there is no chance it could be modded. Of course, the little bit I've read about the progressive shock on here also reports increased travel. True? If so, how much?

Old 04-30-2017, 12:58 PM   #2

I can't comment on the stock shock rebuild but I have the progressive shock and it did raise the standover. When I first put the progressive shock on I had the stock 18" front wheel and it did raise the rear end. I'd guess by a full inch or a bit more. I don't know if the stroke is increased though giving a longer travel overall. I'd think not as many with the stock shock and putting on a 130/18-17 rear tire had the tire bottom out on the plastic bottom of the air box. I had this also. Once I put on the progressive shock that didn't happen anymore. So that makes me think that the shock is just taller but doesn't have a longer stroke.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

The stock shock absorber cannot be rebuilt; it is sealed. The Progessive shock can be rebuilt.

The Progressive shock has 6.3 inches of travel when installed on a 2nd generation, Kawasaki KLR650. However, I don't know how this translates when the shock is installed on a Zongshen RX3. The stock shock absorber of the RX3 has 5.6 inches of travel.

I strongly recommend you adjust your budget to include the purchase of the Progressive shock absorber, especially if you wish to ride a lot off road. The Progressive shock absorber is much superior to the stock shock absorber. Switching to a 21-inch front wheel further increases the off road capabilities of the stock RX3.

If a set of stiffer fork springs becomes available, the off road capabilities of the RX3 will be further enhanced.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-02-2017, 01:31 AM   #4

Thanks Spud, that's what I needed to know. I will plan to order the bike with a progressive rear shock and definitely do a 21" front wheel. Sounds like several folks have taken RX3s with lesser setups on many of the rides in my area so I think I'll be good. I've been a suspension geek for a long time. Started with mountain bikes (surprisingly sophisticated compared to lot of Moto stuff) and now Moto forks and shocks as well. I believe GOOD travel is the key to taking bikes farther into the backcountry. I'd rather have 5.1 inches of properly damped travel than 7 inches of spongey travel with no decent damping. Hopefully progressive figures something out for the fork soon. Until then, I'll swap the stock oil out and ride it as is.

Old 05-02-2017, 01:34 AM   #5

Fj, that's good to know. I'll take a little more clearance if that's what the progressive shock gives in addition to better, if not more, travel. While I'm not tall, I have long enough legs that I should still be fine to have significant contact with the ground after raising the bike a little bit.